From DacMagic to Rega DAC

ruivasco

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have a DacMagic and so far is OK...but I need more! :rockout:

I´m thinking buying the Rega DAC...Is it an upgrade or a sideway step?

A

Anonymous

Yes, the rega would be a step up from the dac magic.

matthewpiano

Then yes, I'd definitely be looking at the Rega DAC. Your equipment is more than good enough to show the difference. Of course, the Rega isn't the only quality DAC out there and I'd also be looking at the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and the Audiolab M DAC.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
With your set up i would say definitely give the M2Tech Young DAC an audition as well.

I moved from having initially a Dacmagic to the Arcam rDac which was an improvement, then i took the plunge and took a huge step up in quality to the M2Tech.

Maybe it might be too expensive for what you're looking for but in the long run i think it would be worth it.

I find it handles all kinds of music very well, detailed and dynamic, and on many forums you will see people comparing it to 2K Dacs at well under half the price! :rockout:

ruivasco said:
Hello,

I have a DacMagic and so far is OK...but I need more! :rockout:

I´m thinking buying the Rega DAC...Is it an upgrade or a sideway step?

Hi ruivasco

As impressive as the DacMagic is however i feel Rega's DAC is a worthwhile upgrade :)

I deal with Densen and Rega. The quality of performance and the overall tonal balance of the Rega Dac works just nicely with Densen amplification :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ruivasco

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I deal with Densen and Rega. The quality of performance and the overall tonal balance of the Rega Dac works just nicely with Densen amplification :grin:

Hi Rick,

I see that you know well both DacMagic and Rega DAC. And how about dynamics? Some folks say that Cambridge is more dynamic...is it true?

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I have both the DacMagic and Rega DAC. The latter is more dynamic, and definitely better balanced across the frequency range. Makes the DacMagic sound 'boom-and-tizz'. :rofl:

I had the MF M1 DAC. Having heard Densen amplification, IMO the M1 DAC may be less complementary with your Densen amp than the Rega DAC, unless you want really incisive treble. Lab tests elsewhere reveals the M1 treble is a couple of dB hotter than the rest of the freq range. I had to sell mine off because of this characteristic.

cheerSS

T

the record spot

I had the DacMagic for a fortnight about a year ago and was very disappointed with it. Let it run constantly, but it never managed to get rid of the bright tizzy sound that's been mentioned in passing. Ended up with a Firestone Audio Spitfire II DAC and it left it standing (moreso than I'd have given credit for given the similar pricing between the two). Never heard the Rega DAC, but Rega as a company I can't really fault; UK based, good pedigree, fine products, etc.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I recently brought the Rega DAC and i love it :) I run my CDP to it through Coaxial and my PC through USB, its given me a slightly larger scale sound that is much more musical and natural in tone, where before i found the nad CDP on its own sounding clinical.

I borrowed a DAC magic for a home demo about a year ago and found it very clinical and that it didnt have a very powerful sound. The Rega is heaps better too my ears.

The diference the Rega DAC has made for me now has me considering demoing a Brio-R amp as i love the sound that much :)

ruivasco said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Hi Rick,

I see that you know well both DacMagic and Rega DAC. And how about dynamics? Some folks say that Cambridge is more dynamic...is it true?

Hi ruivasco

Yes, i know both products well. As impressive as the dynamics of the DacMagic are however Rega's DAC offers dynamics with even greater range and verve whereas the dynamics of the DacMagic sound somewhat compressed and forced.

Like i said the quality of performance and the overall tonal balance of Rega's DAC suits Densen amplification :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd just like to chime in that I bought Pure Music for my Mac music server.

Using Pure Music with iTunes and Lossless files going into my Rega Dac the sound is absolutely exquisite! There is a warmth and a smoothness to the presentation that I've never heard before with digital.

I also came from a Dacmagic and this setup is a big step up IMHO.

Well worth the £££

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts