Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Darren Rochell said:
Hello. Watching a brand new blue ray disc last night (Force awakens) but the picture paused on numerous occasions. Near the end of the film it paused constantly making it unwatchable.

What player are you using and is the firmware up to date.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
over seven years old, I still use mine occasionally not to play blurays but region 1 dvd's which its does a good job of upscaling.

things have changed since the player was released, bluray disc's now have more special features which can cause problems with older players like yours.

Sony only released one software update for this player and I doubt there will be any more, my advice is to think of buying a new player.

abacus

David@FrankHarvey said:
It is one of the reasons why we tend to recommend Oppo.

Except he could buy a new 4K Blu-Ray player which when combined with his 360, would still be far cheaper than an Oppo that has no chance of being upgraded to 4K. (So unless you want SACD or DVD Audio playback the Oppo is poor value for most users)

Bill

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It is one of the reasons why we tend to recommend Oppo.

Except he could buy a new 4K Blu-Ray player which when combined with his 360, would still be far cheaper than an Oppo that has no chance of being upgraded to 4K. (So unless you want SACD or DVD Audio playback the Oppo is poor value for most users)

Bill
That's a valid argument IF the current crop of UHD players work as well as, and are as reliable, as the Oppo players.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A new Blu-ray Blu-rmay be HDCP2.2 encrypted and your seven year old steam driven BDP may well not be able to cope.
I would suggest trying a firmware update following the manufacturers instructions. Usually this can be done over wifi or wired network connections (if the player is so equipped) or you can download the update onto a completely clean reformatted USB stick.

If that doesn't work consider a used late model BDP no more than two years or so old, as a stop gap until the second wave if UHD BDPs come out around November (just in time for US Thanksgiving).

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Try the disc on someone elses more modern player before you buy a new machine. I have had discs that would not play before (thank you for the firmware upgrades Oppo) but they did not play a single scene. Your issue sounds more like a physical disc problem to me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts