admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello forumers!

I have my hi-fi sorted and and now turning my attention to my TV.

I have a small LG LCD, a freeview box, and a One For All brand aerial 'booster'.

Now the problem is that it will tune into like 70 channels or something, but I get no signal on anything except Film4 and Sky Three.

I am looking to buy a new TV in a couple of months (like a 22 LCD HD ready), so will do away with the freeview box, but what can I do to ensure that I can actually watch some TV with my new TV!?

Also I live in SE London about 5 miles from my nearest transmitter (Crystal Palace).

Have tried moving the aerial around and am upstairs in the house, no high rise building around me....

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Is there any chance of fitting a proper rooftop aerial to give a stronger signal feed to the TV? Sounds like the portable aerial isn't up to the job.

John Duncan

Yup was about to say - get an aerial man in. I read it that you had a roof aerial but needed a booster and you were still getting nothing. If that's the case so close to the transmitter, you have a problem - could be rubbish aerial, rubbish cabling, blah blah.

A

Anonymous

Not really an option I'm afraid - my parents house and well, basically no!

I was thinking maybe there's an aerial that could stick to a wall/ceiling maybe suction cup that might work?

I'm so sick of essentially having no TV.

daveh75

Yep, get rid of the set top aerial/booster. CP is a whopper of a transmitter(in term's of power) and you shouldn't be having problem's with weak signal,with a proper aerial the opposite may be true tbh, in that the signal may well be too stong and need to be attenuated!

A

Anonymous

There's an old aerial in the loft, I think it's used sometimes for recording while they watch cable etc.

Is it not possible to have good reception from indoor aerial? (I know out doors is better but I don't think it's really possible ?

A

Anonymous

This is the TV I am considering, so what should I do about an aerial?

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=LG-22LS4D

Any suggestions?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm not much further from Crystal Palace than you (Croydon) and can get reasonable reception on all channels with an indoor aerial in my spare room (ground floor flat as well) so it's definitely possible. I'm using one I got from Dixons (yup, it's old!) but looks like this.

If you've already got a similar aerial, the issue could be down to a few things, most of which are down to location and are difficult to overcome without a roof aerial I'm afraid.

EDIT - daveh makes a very good point (which isn't surprising since he works in the industry!) in that I use a booster for my TV signal but if I turn the booster up too far, the signal strength gets worse so this is worth investigating.

A

Anonymous

Haha, mine's from Dixons too!

Hmm, well there's no way of me telling if the signal is 'too strong' without spending money I suppose, my aerial looks like this one

Messiah

I think for the best results I would have to agree with the outdoor aerial. I have helped set up several friends TV's with indoor aerials and not one produces a decent picture on all channels. I have managed to get good pictures on most channels but never all. Then this just gets annoying as you have the need to fiddle with the aerial all the time.

However, the picture received when using an outdoor aerial is much better and consistent across the channels.

A

Anonymous

Okay well thanks for all your advice, but I'm afraid it's going to have to be an indoor aerial, so which is the best? I would like one that I could aim at the transmitter...

daveh75

Could you not put an aerial in the loft and run a cable down through the ceiling! Even in the loft should get you half decent results given your location.

As i said CP is a powerful transmitter and your not that far away from it so you could probably get away with using a 18 element "contractor's" aerial such as this, but personally i'd be looking at something like this and make sure you use good quality 75ohm double screened cable meant for digital installation's like this and not some cheap old co-ax that's sold at DIY/Electrical/Hardware as this is important with a digital signal!

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for your advice, but above my room is just air! The loft is at the other side of the house, any kind of hole drilling etc is out of the question - my father is a grumpy so and so, and won't help me or let me do anything like that.

Have been looking into freesat etc.. too expensive, dishes etc.. I'm just a student who wouldn't mind watching a bit of TV in his room now and then!

Why is it so hard? And WHY is there no proper internet TV? Huffffff!

They're just wringing the money out of us

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Pmaninit:Why is it so hard?

Well, it's normally not that hard not since an aerial on the roof is generally a given for most of the UK population. Not sure why your Dad is making this such an issue for you, but honestly, if you can't get a good signal in your room with indoor aerials, then I'm afraid an outdoor aerial is really the only way to go for Freeview.

Pmaninit:And WHY is there no proper internet TV?

Have you looked at BT Vision? Okay, the Freeview part is never going to work, but at least the on demand side would give you a healthy choice of things to watch. Tie that up with BBC iPlayer and you've at least got some options. I'm guessing Virgin cable TV is out of the question?

A

Anonymous

Pmaninit:Okay well thanks for all your advice, but I'm afraid it's going to have to be an indoor aerial, so which is the best? I would like one that I could aim at the transmitter...

I can recommend the Telecam TCE2001 wideband indoor aerial with amplifier. I've had this for around a year and it provides a reliable signal (I live in south west London). I also use QED's reference aerial cable, which helps. The Telecam can be had from argos for £19.69...

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I think I probably get one soon, after I get my new hi-fi rack
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts