freeview HD or freesat HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

might sound as a silly question but i dont actually know the difference between the two, and that if one is better than the other? I know that some freesat boxes can be connected to a satellite dish as well, not sure if thats the case with freeview hd boxes as well. My area is not going to have freeview HD until Sept 2011.

Please help, thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Freesat requires a satellite dish, Freeview HD just requires the standard aerial you use to pickup Freeview. Once your area is switched over to full digital, you should then be able to pick up the HD channels through a Freeview HD box.

Freesat currently has BBC HD and ITV HD, whereas Freeview HD has these + Channel 4 HD. Both will get BBC1 HD when that's released. However, once these are going, that'll be it for Freeview HD for a while (probably) as there will be no more room for HD channels. However, in theory Freesat could broadcast many more HD channels if they can attract the broadcasters to them.

WHF routinely say that the BBC HD picture on Freesat is slightly better, but in HD terms, that and the fact it's available wherever you can get a satellite dish, is about the only advantage it has at the moment. See here for a comparison on all digital services.

SteveR750

Some other points to consider from experience

- Freeview reception not always great, I had pixelation problems. No problems at all with Freesat in 6 months or so

- Cost of fitting a satellite dish, though if you are imaginative with Sky you could get this done cheap / free. A skybox will provide a sky version of freeview/sat.

- more (pointless?) channels on freesat

- In the event of aliens attacking earth, you might find freeview lasting longer which might be useful. Judge for yourself if this is tangible benefit.

A

Anonymous

thanks prof and steve

i only have a dish, looks like freesat hd does have an edge over freeview, so i know whch way to go..cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts