Freesat or Freeview

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I am choosing a new tv for a friend and we have decided on the Sony 37" W series. I have seen one with an inbuilt freesat tuner and one without. What exactly will the freesat do? She currently has a sky subscription, if she were to let that lapse i understand she will still get the free channels through the dish. Will the freesat simply allow her the free HD channels as well? Are there any other benefits or in her position is it not worth the extra £100?

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Shep1968

The Freesat you receive through the Sky box is 'Freesat from Sky', which is a different service from Freesat. I don't have Sky but I do have a Sky box to receive 'Freesat from Sky' as where we live we are unable to receive a couple of the main terrestial channels in the summer because of loads of leaves on trees about half a klik away. We pay £20 for a (I think) three year subscription to 'Freesat from Sky' for more than 200 channels, including radio.

daveh75

bob.g: We pay £20 for a (I think) three year subscription to 'Freesat from Sky' for more than 200 channels, including radioYou dont pay a subscription for "Freesat from Sky".

You pay the £20 for a FSFS (Freesat from Sky) card, which gives you access to the FTV(Free to view) channels, i.e Sky 3,Five,Five US,Five US+1,Fiver,Fiver+1 and with an HD box 4HD. So you only need the viewing card should you be interested in receiving those channels.

These channels although free,are hidden behind encryption,hence the need for the viewing card.

Should you still have a viewing card from an ex-subscription(provided it's a current white card) there's actually no need to buy FSFS card as it will continue to give access to the FTV channels even after you cancel.
The card(s) will continue to work until such times as Sky update their encryption,which is why they quote upto 3 years.
The other 200+ channels are FTA(Free To Air) and as the name implies,broadcast un-encrpyted so dont require a veiwing card.Being FTA means they can also be received by any Sky,Freesat or non-platform specific/FTA receiver.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
You pay the £20 for a FSFS (Freesat from Sky) card, which gives you access to the FTV(Free to view) channels, i.e Sky 3,Five,Five US,Five US+1,Fiver,Fiver+1 and with an HD box 4HD. So you only need the viewing card should you be interested in receiving those channels.

These channels although free,are hidden behind encryption,hence the need for the viewing card.

@daveh75

I don't know whether we can receive those channels, I don't recall ever seeing them, We only purchased the Sky box and the Freesat from Sky card specifically to use it for BBC1 and 2, ITV, and Channels 4 and 5 when the analogue reception fades or disappears in summer.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
shep1968:I am choosing a new tv for a friend and we have decided on the Sony 37" W series. I have seen one with an inbuilt freesat tuner and one without. What exactly will the freesat do? She currently has a sky subscription, if she were to let that lapse i understand she will still get the free channels through the dish. Will the freesat simply allow her the free HD channels as well? Are there any other benefits or in her position is it not worth the extra £100?

Plenty of info on what Freesat offers on its website. Gives you 140 digital channels plus BBC HD and ITV HD. Sony Freesat TVs can also now pick up the BBC iPlayer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts