FreeSat and SKY HD with RF

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm installing the following in a cottage that I'm renovating and want a bit of advice.......

I've got SKY HD and I'm going to run the 2nd RF with power up to the loft where it'll connect through a magic eye compatible RF distribution box to some other TVs in the cottage.

I'm not really concerned about a great picture as anything worth watching will be in the lounge, however, I want to use another LNB connection to a FreeSat box.

I believe that you can't get FreeSat decoders with any RF output, but I can use a Scart to RF modulator for that.

The big question.....

If I plug this RF output into the RF input of the SKY HD box, will I be able to distribute this one RF channel along with the SKY HD on it's own RF channel?

Hope this makes sense..........oh and no, I don't want a multiroom subscribtion, SKY already rob me of enough money.

I don't want the FreeSat box to record and I'm not that fussed whether it's HD or not, the reason I'm going FreeSat is that I don't want to put an aerial on the roof as it'll spoil this very old cottage that I'm renovating. If you have any recommendations on a FreeSat box, especially if you know one with RF output.

Hope all this makes sense!

Thanks in advance.

daveh75

CraigRogers:

I'm installing the following in a cottage that I'm renovating and want a bit of advice.......

I've got SKY HD and I'm going to run the 2nd RF with power up to the loft where it'll connect through a magic eye compatible RF distribution box to some other TVs in the cottage.

I'm not really concerned about a great picture as anything worth watching will be in the lounge, however, I want to use another LNB connection to a FreeSat box.

I believe that you can't get FreeSat decoders with any RF output, but I can use a Scart to RF modulator for that.

The big question.....

If I plug this RF output into the RF input of the SKY HD box, will I be able to distribute this one RF channel along with the SKY HD on it's own RF channel?

Yes,connected in that way will mean both signal's from the modulator and SkyHD will be carried/distrubuted on the same cable.Though obviously you'll have to make sure the rf modulator and Sky hd box are set to different frequencies to prevent co-channeling.

The obvious thing to point out is that you wont be able to control the Freesat box from other rooms like you can the SKY box, only fro the room it's installed in.CraigRogers: I don't want the FreeSat box to record and I'm not that fussed whether it's HD or not, the reason I'm going FreeSat is that I don't want to put an aerial on the roof as it'll spoil this very old cottage that I'm renovating. If you have any recommendations on a FreeSat box, especially if you know one with RF output.Hope all this makes sense!Thanks in advance. AFAIK there are no Freesat boxes with RF outs and as your not bothered about HD or recording any of these would suffice

Though in your situation, my advice would be not to bother with Freesat and get a cheap Sky sd box from ebay or the like and just use it for the FTA channels then that'll give you the rf outs you need and save the hassle of using the rf modulator and used in conjunction with one of these would mean you could control both the Hd and sd boxes from all the rooms you've cabled

Hope that helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks for backing up my "thinking out aloud".

I've actually thought about what you've said and then realised that I've got 2 SKY+ boxes in the loft.

Ovbiously I won't be able to record on it, but I won't need to, just want to pick up the free channels!

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts