Forums, why do we bother?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

And I say, what the bally heck is a cake walk? Does one follow a trail of cakes then get a rely big one at the end...?

Mmm...Cake...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
al7478:And I say, what the bally heck is a cake walk? Does one follow a trail of cakes then get a rely big one at the end...?
Mmm...Cake...

A 19th-century public entertainment among African Americans, sometimes described as having strutting steps thought to be intended as a parody of the 'white folks', in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.

It's come to mean something simple to achieve.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:al7478:And I say, what the bally heck is a cake walk? Does one follow a trail of cakes then get a rely big one at the end...?
Mmm...Cake...

A 19th-century public entertainment among African Americans, sometimes described as having strutting steps thought to be intended as a parody of the 'white folks', inwhich walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.

I think a good education is a wonderful thing when one can remember facts like these.

A

Anonymous

laserman16:Andrew Everard:

al7478:And I say, what the bally heck is a cake walk? Does one follow a trail of cakes then get a rely big one at the end...?
Mmm...Cake...

A 19th-century public entertainment among African Americans, sometimes described as having strutting steps thought to be intended as a parody of the 'white folks', in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.

I think a good education is a wonderful thing when one can remember facts like these.
yeah, either that or Google them ;-)

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:yeah, either that or Google them ;-)

And using reference sources is a bad thing how?

Nowt wrong with google etc. use them myself all the time. Wonderful resource.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

al7478:And I say, what the bally heck is a cake walk? Does one follow a trail of cakes then get a rely big one at the end...? Mmm...Cake...

Also a poular American fairground ride from the 1890's A modern carnival game not unlike hopscotch. Mentioned in the Dire Straits Album Money for nothing in the Track Tunnel of Love.
emotion-2.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Mmm...Cake...

Wow! I was nearly right!

JohnDuncan:fatboyslimfast:I'm sure that most people here do have a life outside the forums er...

Nooooo, I have a boring life. . .seriously though, I can only speak about WHFI? forum (it's the only one I've been on) I've found it useful and it's fun (at times).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think it helps many people out as it gives them a listening list when buying, there's nothing like real world reviews straight from the horses mouth. Of course people are biased towards their own equipment, but if they weren't then they have obviously bought the wrong kit.

Furthermore it's a good way of keeping up with trends and having a chat to people with similar interests; if I mention hifi to the g/f then she just glazes over

Best of all the odd thread makes me laugh my head off, although the last one probably went a little too far; funny after a few glasses of wine with music on and the other half has gone to bed...

Overall, I enjoy it and enjoy listening to everyone else's opinions even if everyone else is always wrong and I'm always right.

ÿ

T

the record spot

I like the general bonhomie around here; I go to a few other forums as well, but always check in here quite a bit. Some good ideas bounced round and it's always good to be in a position to help folks out. Whether or not my words mean a whole lot, or if anyone agrees or disagrees with them is pretty incidental; it's good to be able to voice them in a forum without being shot down in flames (check out the Steve Hoffman forum for some of that...!).

You're all very nice people and if we had the space, I'd invite you all round for tea and biscuits. Or custard in JD's case.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:
the record spot:I'd invite you all round for tea and biscuits. Or custard in JD's case.

Why not cover all the bases?

10534217_m.jpg

The very thing!

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
I think it's true to say forums are addictive.

What are your thoughts guys?

Drummerman's post is his 2,059th! I think it is true to say forums are addictive...

emotion-8.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Loosetooth:confined to having profiles and asking questions

You're certainly not confined to asking questions. If you want to spout off about something, go for it (as long as it complies with house rules).

See here and here for examples of 'frummers' doing just that...

Saw myself more as a Frei than a Frum.

A

Anonymous

It really is about passion. Passion for music and passion for the equipment that helps us listen to the music. It's great to go to a forum such as this one and be able to get so many great opinions.

John Duncan

plastic penguin:groberton:drummerman:

I think it's true to say forums are addictive.

What are your thoughts guys?

Drummerman's post is his 2,059th! I think it is true to say forums are addictive...

emotion-8.gif

Further proof, if proof were needed, John Duncan's 6,700 postings. . .

And all of them p-sh...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Take a look at this thread if you want to see an example of rather immature behaviour evidenced on other forums. To be fair to this community, I think this is a fairly rare example.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Take a look at this thread if you want to see an example of rather immature behaviour evidenced on other forums. To be fair to this community, I think this is a fairly rare example.

You should try Headfi.org instead - much better and the "greatest" (in both size and quality) headphone forum on the planet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts