Andy279

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi All
I'm new to the quality hifi game and still have a lot to learn.
I'm contemplating a Naim Uniti (Star, probably) and suitable speakers but now I'm wondering about the B&W Duo instead.
I have a relatively small number of CDs but mostly stream via Spotify.
My current gear is not worth keeping so I'm starting from scratch.
Room is about 6m x 12m but couch will be about 4m from speakers.
Would be nice if I could play the tv through the same system.
What would you do?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: MUSICRAFT
If you only use Spotify, there’s no real need to spend money on an expensive box that does a huge number of other things you won’t use (and the cost of associated licenses). The Formation Duo route means you’re just paying for what you are using - quality, active loudspeakers.

Reactions: Andy279

Andy279

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
Set of Kef LS50W + Phone or Ipad job done
View attachment 963
Thanks for the suggestion! Will they sound as good as the b&w do you think? I'll have a room that's about 6m x 12m although the couch will be about 4m from the speakers.

I'm new to the quality hifi game and still have a lot to learn.

What would you do?

Out of interest what is your current system please?

Try the Uniti Star and the Uniti Nova with various passive loudspeakers and if possible also in your room.

On paper and generally in practise active speakers can offer excellent levels of performance. Although more traditional ATC’s SCM19A active monitors are also worth bearing in mind. A separate pre/streamer such as Yamaha’s WXC-50 works a treat with the SCM19A’s. A formidable combination offering the foremost quality of active transducers from the masters of active loudspeakers design.

Anyway, please take a look at ATC’s Corporate Brochure for more info on active loudspeakers -

Last edited:

Andy279

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
Although more traditional ATC’s SCM19A active monitors are also worth bearing in mind. A separate pre/streamer such as Yamaha’s WXC-50 works a treat with the SCM19A’s. A formidable combination...
[/QUOTE]

Thanks musicraft. The ATC, Yamaha idea looks interesting. A lot of money tied up in the speakers but they look great.

The Yamaha device is inexpensive though. Does it have any effect on sound quality?
I guess I could plug the tv and cd player into it?
Cheers!

rainsoothe

no gapless will always be a dealbreaker for me :)
on the ATC SCM 19A - they're actives, so you'll get amplification that's perfectly matched to the speaker. In time, you could upgrade the Yamaha - yes, it does have great effect on sound quality, but the WXC is really not bad, to be honest. When budget allows, you can replace that with something like Naim Nac N 172XS or 272, or Linn or whatever. Or Cambridge Audio CXN v2, which is also very good. If you don't need gapless playback, the Kef are supposed to be amazing (haven't heard the active LS50).

Although more traditional ATC’s SCM19A active monitors are also worth bearing in mind. A separate pre/streamer such as Yamaha’s WXC-50 works a treat with the SCM19A’s. A formidable combination...

Thanks musicraft. The ATC, Yamaha idea looks interesting. A lot of money tied up in the speakers but they look great.

The Yamaha device is inexpensive though. Does it have any effect on sound quality?
Cheers!
[/QUOTE]

You're welcome (y)

Yes, you should also be able to connect your TV and CDP into the WXC-50. Although modestly priced however the WXC-50 punches above its weight and works a treat with SCM19A active monitors. Depending on budget it's great starting point with which as your experience builds can as rainsoothe has said be replaced over time with a higher quality pre/dac/streamer which might also offer amongst others features such as powerful/sophisticated room correction. You're then safe in the knowledge that with the SCM19A's as the end point you've got the finest transducers in the business to easily reveal any differences in the associated components and the audio quality of the TV, CDP and streaming services.

Yes, SCM19A's at a UK RRP of £4375/pair aren't exactly chicken feed but in the main you're paying for the quality of the amplification and the drive units which are hand built at ATC's factory in Stroud. There's no distractions with pre amps, DAC's, streaming, apps, licensing fees, etc. Btw, SCM19A's incorporate the ATC's SB75-150 Super Linear mid/bass drive unit which is also used in their SCM20ASL Professional monitors. The SB75-150 mid/bass unit is massively built and weighs more than 9kg! which as much as if not more than a complete loudspeaker from competing designs.

atc sl.jpg

Fwiw, not for the first time a few days ago one our clients was in a similar situation to yours. I had an extensive chat to him to about the best route to take for the best possible performance from an active loudspeakers within his budget particularly as it was going to be a long term purchase. Our client came into the store a few hours later. Showed him ATC's SCM40A active monitors and then handed him ATC's SM75-150S Super Soft Dome mid range drive unit. To say that he was impressed by the quality of the SM75-150S Super Soft Dome would be an understatement. Anyway he bought a pair of SCM40A active monitors and a Cambridge Audio streamer.

atc super soft dome pic..jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom and Andy279

Andy279

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site

Cheers!

You're welcome (y)

Yes, you should also be able to connect your TV and CDP into the WXC-50...
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for going to do much effort with your replies. It's much appreciated!

You're welcome (y)

Yes, you should also be able to connect your TV and CDP into the WXC-50...
Thanks for going to do much effort with your replies. It's much appreciated!
[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome (y)

Btw, please try and take a look at the actual drive units of the various loudspeakers in the flesh away from the cabinets. This should give you a good idea of the respective level of quality you are being asked to pay for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts