Foobar and Hd tracks

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi al

I am trying to listen to HD tracks downloaded from HD tracks, however i am expeirencing difficulties. I have purchased a M2tech Hiface and i plug this into a USB on my laptop and the connect to my rega Dac using an RCA lead, then onto my set up.

I am currently trying to use Foobar to listen to the tracks. If i listen to a track with the sample rate of 44100hz 16bit (PCM) it plays and the dac indicates the input correctly,

However if i try to listen to a track with the sample rate of 176400hz 24bit (Flac) if fails to play properly, the dac indicates the correct input, however there is mostly silence with the odd very short sound and the input lock light on the dac flashes. The equaliser within foobar flashes merrily to indicate it is playing.

I have spent the morning adding extensions(wasapi, ks etc) and going into the preferences in foobar and selecting various outputs all to no avail, the only way the sound plays properly is by selecting DS, however this outputs the track at 44.1hz.

I do not fully understand how this should work but feel i must be close, any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying this is the problem, however I dug this out of the interweb for you ...

"As I understand it, the 176.4khz sampling frequency has only recently been adopted and only by some hi-res sites. It was not envisaged during product development that this was to be a usable sampling rate and as a consequence your Rega Dac may therefore occasionally have problems consistently locking onto a 176.4khz signal. The good news is that all Rega Dacs dispatched from May 2011 onwards have an update to accomodate 176.4khz and, where appropriate, the update can be by done by Rega HQ or their designated overseas distributor."

A

Anonymous

Does it play 96 or 192 k files ?

Have you tried another software ?

Try MusicBee (http://getmusicbee.com/) with Wasapi or Asio output.

I had some stability issues with foobar and my DAC. That only changed with MusicBee.

It seems that foobar can´t be configured with a lower than 50 ms buffer (this can be a problem with some USB Dacs that require a very low buffer).

SteveR750

The output of your server doing the streaming must be at a rate that your DAC recognises. The sample rate of 176k or so that you're using for example my Dacmagic would not be able to play, therefore I have to downsample to 96k. I have ome tracks that fall between the DM's standard sample rates, so have to up or downsample to the nearest on.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys slightly on the different issue.

I wonder how gingersmarty has obtained hd tracks from HD track website, as it is only for US market. I was registered with them and they did not allow me to purchase tracks as I am UK citizen. Does anybody have been purchasing from HD track website?

SteveR750

dariushifi said:
Sorry guys slightly on the different issue.

I wonder how gingersmarty has obtained hd tracks from HD track website, as it is only for US market. I was registered with them and they did not allow me to purchase tracks as I am UK citizen. Does anybody have been purchasing from HD track website?

You can only buy outside of the US using paypal. Beware though, there is no confirmation of the size of the original source files for the hi res tracks, so you dont know if they are simply upsampled CDA quality.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks SteveR750,

I have investigated pay pal route and apparently it is against the law, track downloads can not be used outside US. Legally they can trace it down as your account details ( Address of residence ex.) are incorrect and track is used abroad.

Regards original source size and quality, I agree with you there is a possibility. Hi-Fi tracks (Hon-Kong website) sell simply upsampled tracks which I have bought myself. Never again. Avoid it.

However I have managed to download (5 free tracks from HDtracks as a promotion now) and quality was really very good the same as Linn or Naim downloads. Onkyo offers true hi res track downloads with very big artist library. BUT once again this only in JAPAN. Shame.

And finally, Interestingly, The fact is that quite a few WHF reviews mention HDtrack downloads have been used in their tests. I wonder how they got around this ?????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts