FOO FIGHTERS @Milton Keynes Bowl 2011

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wasn't finished, and can't edit it! So here's the missing bit...

At one point, Dave Grohl said to the crowd that he had the best job in the world. I probably wouldn't say that about many bands, but I think if I was Dave Grohl, I'd say the same thing - how would life get any better than being Dave Grohl? He's been part of Nirvana, Queens of The Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, and probably one of the best bands around at the moment - the Foo's. He's got a job for life, not that he needs it, and he's not an a-hole! If I was to be one person, it'd be Dave! But then, he's called Dave :D

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What can I say - awesome gig.

Starting off with a little known group called Pale Impala, who were pretty good, so I'll investigate them at a later date. Deathcab For Cutie were next up, and while I have to admit I've never knowningly heard any of their stuff, they were very good - I just hope their studio stuff isn't lightweight in comparison to their seemingly heavier live sound. Then came Biffy Clyro. I've heard some of their stuff, and I've found them likeable, but not to the point where I've collected their stuff. That might change! Another band that seem quite heavy when they play live (like Nickelback - I know many don't like them, but they're great live), so I'll be tempted to track a few albums down on Napster and give them a listen. The only thing that put me off them was the lead singer, complete with his long hair and beard, and tattoos everywhere, was the spitting image of Charles Manson.

The Foo's are real entertainers. Their songs are perfect fodder to get the crowd going, and Dave Grohl is the sort of guy who gets involved with the audience, and doesn't just stand there like a moody so and so who looks like he's doing the gig because he has to. I know I've been to many gigs and been disappointed they've not been longer, but even though the Foo's played for over 2.5 hours, I could quite happily have continued through until sunrise without a care in the world about drink/food/sleep. Hearing stuff like One By One and The Pretender live is just phenomenal, and there's no way you can stand still to that stuff! Because of jumping up and down on the spot, my legs didn't want to bend walking out from the bowl itself!

I'm not a Queen fan myself, but Roger Taylor joined them for a track, and the real higlight was Alice Cooper joining them towards the end to do a couple of tracks. Hearing School's Out played by the Foo's was amazing.

At one point, Dave Grohl said to the crowd that he had the best job in the world. I probably wouldn't say that about many bands, but I think if I was Dave Grohl, I'd say the same thing - how would life get any better than being Dave Grohl,

I was expecting the whole thing to sound quite naff being out in the open, but it was one of the best sounding gigs I've ever been to, plus, even though we were close to the front, I came away with my hearing intact! I wasn't expecting the real 'kick in the chest' bass that I've experienced at smaller indoor gigs, so that was a surprise. Live Bluray ordered today!!

Nightmare getting out of MK afterwords though. If you ever go, make sure you're either camping nearby, have a hotel booked, or something to either get you out of there or get you bedded down for the night. Me and the girlfriend faced a 5 mile walk to the coach station, which wasn't pleasant after virtually 9 hours on our feet! having said that, I'd happily pay the £300 all in that it cost me to go again if they were playing next weekend!

A recommendation of the highest order!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed the gig, mate.

If you want to check out 'Biffy Clyro', go for their early stuff, which is great (The album 'Blackened Sky', for example). Their last couple of albums, however, have shown that they've morphed into Foo Fighters clones, and pretty poor ones, at that.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only problem I find when getting into a group via their live stuff, is that you then explore their studio back-catalogue and find it all a bit tame. Some of these bands are much more raw and energetic when playing live than their sometimes squeeky clean studio material, so I normally like to get into them first before seeing them live.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts