Focal Chorus 706Vs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well, I've finally spent my money, having listened to quite a number of speakers, and now I'm having an evening doing a first audition at home. The 706v's are sat on a pair of Atacama SE24s, loaded with atabites and connected with Chord Carnival Silver screen. I've been used to 2 pairs of budget speakers (the Eltax Monitor V's and a pair of Mission 771e's) and the biggest difference is initially the soundstage and musicality (is that a word?) of the Focals. The first track was from the Cors unplugged - track 9 (no frontiers) for the harmonies then onto The boy is back in town. Next up, Robbie Williams' Swing while you're winning (I know!) but track 2 is a great test when the brass kicks in. Well wow! The bass is so punchy, but tight, even the o/h just stood there with her mouth open! Alison Balsom followed with Caprice and by the 2nd track I was away - eyes closed in the front row. I heard violins that i'd not heard before. Alison's trumpet can reach some high notes, but not once was was hard or sharp.

I really wanted a proper upgrade, rather than buying another pair of good budget speakers, and I think I have! Smiling quite a lot at the moment. Thanks to Matthewpiano and others for answering my questions recently.

Next is the amp........[:D]

matthewpiano

Glad you are pleased. The Focals are superb speakers.

It isn't fashionable but do try the Arcam A18 when you get to upgrading the amp. I've had a lot of amps but this is the first one that has really grabbed me with its musicality.

Anyway, for now just keep enjoying those excellent speakers you've just bought!

BTW, what else did you listen to? What were your thoughts on other speakers that you heard?

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:BTW, what else did you listen to? What were your thoughts on other speakers that you heard?

I started with the BX2's and found them lacking a bit in the bass, even thin! it could have been that they weren't run in, but.. I then tried the RX1's and just wasn't sure. Can't put my finger on it - maybe a bit too much top and bottom, and not much middle! I really like the 685's though. Warm, and a really lovely sound. I nearly bought them. The 686's didn't have enough weight to their sound. Then along came the Focals. I did find a pair of ex-demo's for £300 and that sold them ('cause I love a bargain
emotion-5.gif
Mart

matthewpiano

MartSmith:
matthewpiano:BTW, what else did you listen to? What were your thoughts on other speakers that you heard?

I started with the BX2's and found them lacking a bit in the bass, even thin! it could have been that they weren't run in, but.. I then tried the RX1's and just wasn't sure. Can't put my finger on it - maybe a bit too much top and bottom, and not much middle! I really like the 685's though. Warm, and a really lovely sound. I nearly bought them. The 686's didn't have enough weight to their sound. Then along came the Focals. I did find a pair of ex-demo's for £300 and that sold them ('cause I love a bargain
emotion-5.gif
Mart

I found the BX2s thin as well when I auditioned them, and from hearing a pair briefly I'd also be inclined to agree with you on the RX1s.

I'm surprised that you found the 686s lacked weight. My problem with them has been exactly the opposite!

I do think you chose the best speakers in the end and it sounds like you got a good bargain too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts