FM tuner vs. CD sound quality?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm very jealous that you can get a decent FM signal where you live! I know you don't want to go computer/wireless etc. but just in cast you're interested with regard to R3, we get a very good quality signal from our Revo Mondo Wifi radio adaptor at 323Kbps and above, and slightly better quality from connecting the laptop to the hifi and streaming from the R3 HD audio website. Both sound brilliant, and of CD quality at least. I thought maybe you should consider these sort of options if you're looking to improve your R3 broadcast quality.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
whiskywheels said:
I'm very jealous that you can get a decent FM signal where you live! I know you don't want to go computer/wireless etc. but just in cast you're interested with regard to R3, we get a very good quality signal from our Revo Mondo Wifi radio adaptor at 323Kbps and above, and slightly better quality from connecting the laptop to the hifi and streaming from the R3 HD audio website. Both sound brilliant, and of CD quality at least. I thought maybe you should consider these sort of options if you're looking to improve your R3 broadcast quality.

[Pedantic mode on]

323Kbps is lossy and is not CD quality (1400Kbps), so is not going to be, in any way, better in quality than CD.

[Pedantic mode off]

High bit rate files are arguably indistinguishable from the original WAV files they were created from, so if you are streaming music at these bit rates and/or you have perfect reception and high enough quality equipment to receive an unmolested broadcast of a lossless file over FM, then the result might be close to or the equal of the CD, but never better. I would also add, that regardless of which tuner you use, it is not going to magically alter the laws of physics to change this fact (and it is a fact).

You might prefer the sound of the stream or broadcast, but that is another matter entirely.

T

the record spot

chebby said:
You'd better give up now Manic, otherwise you'll have the entire rank & file of [LINK REMOVED - house rules] lining up to 'educate' the living daylights out of you.

Not the entire rank and file y'know...

John Duncan

I was chastened severely on Gramophone for suggesting that FM is CD quality. From a technical perspective its max is about 720k, but obviously many stations use lossy compression so the bitrates are often much less than this in practice.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
I'd buy a streamer like a Squeezebox and listen to the online stream (320 Kb). It's exceedingly good quality. That and many others. The Linn stations are also top-notch.

There are now hundred of stations at high bit-rates.

And you'd have no "need" to connect to your computer.

(hijacking slightly)

Thanks for that, Fr0g. Spent all evening listening to Linn Jazz and now added it to my favourites

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
chebby said:
You'd better give up now Manic, otherwise you'll have the entire rank & file of [LINK REMOVED - house rules] lining up to 'educate' the living daylights out of you.

Not the entire rank and file y'know...

The problem with reality is that not everyone wants to take part. Me either on a Friday night, but that's another story.

Subjectivity is a lovely thing, so long as it doesn't make objective claims (and objectivity is useful so long as it doesn't disregard subjectivity)

John Duncan

So reality is only an objective thing? Or does it only make sense as an individual's subjective experience? For example, red is red, but if you're colour blind, your red is not my red.

I'm not starting a fight btw, I'm just interested...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
So reality is only an objective thing? Or does it only make sense as an individual's subjective experience? For example, red is red, but if you're colour blind, your red is not my red. I'm not starting a fight btw, I'm just interested...

Ah, but "seeing red" is what causes all the arguments, locked threads and bannings! :shifty:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
So reality is only an objective thing? Or does it only make sense as an individual's subjective experience? For example, red is red, but if you're colour blind, your red is not my red. I'm not starting a fight btw, I'm just interested...

Or trying to discuss something about which there can be no discussion. fr0g is entirely right. But you prefer whatever you prefer, and may not be able to hear differences, that's fine. It doesn't matter weather the argument is circular or rhombus shaped, it's still absolutely correct and if otherwise perfectly intelligent people can't see it then...

So inceredibly tiresome.

John Duncan

Alec said:
John Duncan said:

Or trying to discuss something about which there can be no discussion. fr0g is entirely right. But you prefer whatever you prefer, and may not be able to hear differences, that's fine. It doesn't matter weather the argument is circular or rhombus shaped, it's still absolutely correct and if otherwise perfectly intelligent people can't see it then...

So inceredibly tiresome.

I wasn't trying to talk about hifi or anything else. I just thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. You know, like perfectly intelligent people do.

As for it being something you can have no discussion about, I'm fairly sure that Kant or Popper or any other number of scientific philosophers would disagree.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Whatever John. What you seem to want to talk about has nothing to do with what fr0g said, which doesn't call for any help from Popper et al.

Thanks for the education, Your Cleverness.

John Duncan

Alec said:
Whatever John. What you seem to want to talk about has nothing to do with what fr0g said, which doesn't call for any help from Popper et al.

Thanks for the education, Your Cleverness.

It isn't a response to any argument he was making, no. But he mentioned 'reality' and it got me thinking in a different direction. That's all.

And in matters philosophical, I'm more of a Kant than anything...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts