Floundering with an iPod . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This may not be the place to put this question . . . ? However I dont know where, so, be gentle . . . Hazel wants music, long discussions this evening first pointed to a mini hifi . . . I was not convinced, so more digging. Finally transpired that as far as I can make out a radio/iPod is what she wants, she thought Radio/CD . . . they hardly exist, extinct, like the dodo?

So, Radio with iPod dock? thats the OK side, plenty available would seem, the problem I have; modern technology is 'witch craft' to me??? I have found iPods on the web at our local shop for just a few quid . . . are these OK? loading music onto an iPod??? is that the same as striping a CD and transferring it onto a portable hard drive or blank CD via a USB cable? Is there any where I can go that will give me a blow by blow, this is how its done tutorial, do I need the hand holding?

Its late, the head is hurting . . . please help a poor floundering old gentleman, it would appear, way out of his depth . . . again.

CJSF

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
If I remember correctly, there are some in here who have the Denon RCD-M38. Have considered it myself for the bedroom.

Look into it. She gets it all with it, radio, cd and iPod connectability.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK peoples, had a few hours sleep! . . . I think I'm getting to grips with iPod/MP3 players . . . This morning I've found some 'what is' and 'how to' pages on the subject. Simply put, glorified storage sticks!

I still need to look into the devises/radios to play them with, its definitely a young persons world out there, but I can get to the bottom of it . . . any one got any suggestions on brands/types or help on player/radio will be gratefully received :wall:

CJSF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
"iPod" is NOT a generic device, it's a specific Apple product, so if a radio/dock says "iPod compatible" it means just that, it'll support iPods, it won't support any old cheap generic mp3 player and you won't find any iPod for "a few quid", so make sure you know exactly what you're buying.

Just one question though, if neither of you know what an iPod is, why does she want one?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree with The_Lhc. It seems either (a) you are confusing 'iPod' with all mp3 players or (b) someone is trying to sell you dodgy gear.

A reputable second hand place near us sells used Apple iPods and they are not 'a few quid'. They go for between 50 and 75 percent of new price (depending on type and condition) and come with a few months warranty.

If your 'head hurts' so much because of 'new' technology (like iPods) then don't go near it especially when you have other more important stresses and concerns right now.

Buy something traditional like a nice FM/DAB* Roberts Radio and plug one of these in the back of it.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
"iPod" is NOT a generic device, it's a specific Apple product, so if a radio/dock says "iPod compatible" it means just that, it'll support iPods, it won't support any old cheap generic mp3 player and you won't find any iPod for "a few quid", so make sure you know exactly what you're buying.

+1 to that. iPod is becoming like "hoover". Whilst some may use it as a generic term, it's a specific product.

As for the handholding and help - Apple stores can be really helpful if you decide to go down the Apple route.

What's probably easier is if you tell us what your aim is, what you want to acheive? An iPod may not be the answer.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
What's probably easier is if you tell us what your aim is, what you want to acheive? An iPod may not be the answer.

He wants a Radio/CD player for his wife whilst she recuperates from a stay in hospital.

From another thread...

CJSF said:
So, a new CD/radio type thingy, for her birthday at the weekend seems like a good idea in readiness for the months after the operation.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Lee H said:

He wants a Radio/CD player for his wife whilst she recuperates from a stay in hospital. From another thread...

CJSF said:
So, a new CD/radio type thingy, for her birthday at the weekend seems like a good idea in readiness for the months after the operation.

Oh OK, missed that one, thanks.

In which case, the Pure DAB may make sense. Maybe some kind of tablet/media player (thinking Archos or similar) too? That way you get internet radio (better than DAB, more station etc), some web browsing and the option to add TV shows/movies to it.

Paul.

Roberts make a nice looking cd/radio/iPod dock, and it's red

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-SOUND-MP43-RED-Radio-Integrated-iPod/dp/B002T1LUM0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315901996&sr=1-2

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Your are right, I'm getting iPod mixed up with MP3 . . .

Yet more discussion with Hazel, she wants a 'proper hifi' in the kitchen:roll: She is quite adamant . . . I cant budge her . . . So, looking around, seems an entry level might be the Denon D-M38 with matching Denon speakers or . . . a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds or a pair of Q Acoustic 2010, you can imagine, the speakers are not going to be placed ideally . . . probably end up on a shelf . . . any views?

The 38 has a USB plug on the front 'MP3/memory stick' capable? has a CD player, FM and DAB, not sure about the DAB in my area, bit hit and miss? But she is adamant. We have cable TV in the living room, will soon have 'proper hifi' in the soon to be redecorated 'music studio/study':grin: and a nice little, Hazel type, music machine in the kitchen, in silver, so I'm informed.

If I stick to thinking MP3, I'm probable better off . . . or have I got that wrong too? The idea of MP3/memory stick, is to put Hazel choice of music from my CD's onto it . . . I dont want my valued CD's getting friendly with the strawberry jam or rolling about in the self raising flour . . . She is going to be hard to keep down at convalescing??? I destroyed my LP music collection, I dont want to mess up what I have left, even if they are only CD's, all be it some special editions.

I'm sorry if I have confused you??? I got confused, so what you must be thinking . . . :) any further pointers . . . ?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I'm sorry if I have confused you??? I got confused, so what you must be thinking . . . :)

Yes I am confused now.

I was just about holding in there with all of your threads so far, but now i've lost the plot. Sorry.

You've said on previous occasions that you are not happy with computer audio ('too old', 'leave all that stuff for youngsters' etc.) but you have a DAC and use it to play Spotify from your PC.

There is the mysterious 'Dave' (your hifi dealer of the last 31 years) whom you said gets equally perplexed by all this 'modern' stuff(!), but you are going to wait until he gets back from his holiday then let him sort everything out for you.

There are your PMC LB1s (recommended 60 - 250 watts @ 4 ohms) that you are driving with a 30 year-old, 25 watts per channel RA820 amp!

There are your white ash finished Rogers BBC LS3/5A speakers.

Those two pairs of speakers - if in the condition you described - will net you £2000 on a good day! (I saw a pair of Rogers LS3/5As go for £1250 recently and there is pair up there now with a £1600 price tag.)

Unless you fully intend to continue using both pairs of speakers, why not sell a pair? The Rogers alone could easily fund all of your hifi aspirations (including the kitchen system).

Anyway. It's getting a bit too complicated to follow what you want at any given time, so (Dragon's Den style) i'm out.

Good luck with your quest. I hope Hazel recovers very quickly and enjoys the system you are going to buy her.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thats fair enough Chebby . . . The Rogers have been lost in the house move back in 2000 . . . I cant find them? I've got a pair of SL600 as well . . . they have gon missing to, now those I would not try to powere with the rotel 820!

Dave and me are both old'uns . . . I'm making an effort to come to grips with the 'new world', as much for my Hazel as anything, I have what I want . . . call me a silver surfer, slow, confused and not up to speed, you will be there one day? LB1's . . . just shows, if you dont know, what can actually be achived. I'm very happy with what I hear. Believe me, I may not know an MP3 from a DAC, but I know a sound that is working well. We went through the 'figures cant lie' phase in the 80's, Rotel were one of the first to break ranks and trust their ears!!! . . . seems that the modern hifi enthusiast is being baffled (fooled) with numbers again . . .

I always trust my ears . . .

Yes I'm out to . . . keep my pleasures (profits) to myself in Dragons Den style . . . CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts