florence and the machine

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
no light, no light

guys please listen to this track and at 3min19 - 3min27 when the drums kick back in....

please tell me if those drums have a distorted sound on your system.

im running small wharfedale 220s (dont laugh) and never gave that part of the track a 2nd thought until i messed up my dac settings trying to get dsd to play(all sorted now - Hegel sent me screen shots of correctr settings)

But im interested in how your own system plays that song in that place

cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, can't help, I'd rather puncture my own ear drums than listen to her, although it would probably end up with the same result to be honest. One of the more extreme shouters in contemporary pop.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
mmm.. listening on you tube.. it's not perfectly recorded music.. vocal not as clear as it could be.. compressed.. maybe they wanted this drums sounds like that, I know what you mean.. on my super clear speakers *dirol* it's not a clear sounding music..

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
mmm.. listening on you tube.. it's not perfectly recorded music.. vocal not as clear as it could be.. compressed.. maybe they wanted this drums sounds like that, I know what you mean.. on my super clear speakers *dirol* it's not a clear sounding music..

Feel better now

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
Sorry, can't help, I'd rather puncture my own ear drums than listen to her, although it would probably end up with the same result to be honest. One of the more extreme shouters in contemporary pop.

You're not wrong. She single-handedly destroyed 'Gimme Shelter' when I saw The Stones at the O2 a few years ago. I've never heard such a noise in my life, and she obviously didn't know the track, just wailed and wailed, endlessly. I hate her for that.

Listen to this, and you'll see what I mean.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The_Lhc said:

You're not wrong. She single-handedly destroyed 'Gimme Shelter' when I saw The Stones at the O2 a few years ago. I've never heard such a noise in my life, and she obviously didn't know the track, just wailed and wailed, endlessly. I hate her for that.

I read an excellent Viz Top Tip a little while ago, went something like "Pop fans, record your own Florence and the Machine album by locking an owl in a room full of wind chimes."

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
I read an excellent Viz Top Tip a little while ago, went something like "Pop fans, record your own Florence and the Machine album by locking an owl in a room full of wind chimes."

*lol*

That's brilliant.

Did you listen to the clip I linked to? It's painful, but the difference between when Lisa Fisher was singing, and when the 'Owl' starts hooting is worth listening to, and really shows the difference between a singer and a shouter.

K

keeper of the quays

Ill have a listen tomorrow, bit harsh...florence has a lovely voice! Perhaps you gentlemen who find her so disagreeable could provide your current playlist? Ill have a listen..

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

keeper of the quays said:
Ill have a listen tomorrow, bit harsh...florence has a lovely voice!

Honestly, she really doesn't.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Perhaps you gentlemen who find her so disagreeable could provide your current playlist? Ill have a listen..

I don't have 'playlist', but last album played was Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew'. Plenty of hooting, but definitely no Owls.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Sounds very nasty on my little JBLs and the AKG cans.

feel sorry for the 220s ha - you wont believe how good these little things actually sound

i even have made speaker stands - one is on a solid stool the other on spesaker boxes and 2 bull terrier books

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

feel sorry for the 220s ha - you wont believe how good these little things actually sound

i even have made speaker stands - one is on a solid stool the other on spesaker boxes and 2 bull terrier books

You might want to rephrase that before spiny norman reads it. The puns will never end.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Not sure I will again either, yep it does distort. But I would rather listen to it than Paloma Faith's World In Union, honestly she should be taken out and shot for that effort, it's like GBH to the eardrums.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Should I try again seeing my first comment on the first page seemed to get lost between two of the OP's close consecutive replies to other posters:

MajorFubar said:
It's produced that way.

It's really that simple. It's just a production technique used to give the drums some bite and edge. Absolutely no need to worry about your speakers.

:)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

You might want to rephrase that before spiny norman reads it. The puns will never end.

pun away haha but it did sound like **** - but if you heard the bs i heard today youd also not care

K

keeper of the quays

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Perhaps you gentlemen who find her so disagreeable could provide your current playlist? Ill have a listen..

I don't have 'playlist', but last album played was Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew'. Plenty of hooting, but definitely no Owls.
fine record...no quibble from me.

K

keeper of the quays

The modern day prevalence for singing at the top of voice and the ghastly trills..are due to half whitney/mariah warbling..and the awful xfactor...florence has a proper voice with no forced sound..they are few and far between are natural singers..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No forced sound? She shouts at the top of her voice and I know that's basically what opera singers do but she has none of the control or tonal quality of any of those. It's frequently painful to listen to.

K

keeper of the quays

The_Lhc said:
No forced sound? She shouts at the top of her voice and I know that's basically what opera singers do but she has none of the control or tonal quality of any of those. It's frequently painful to listen to.
Then give me a example of what you think a good female singer sounds like?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts