Floorstanding Speakers for Rega Brio R

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for suggestions for floorstanding speakers to use with my Brio R and Audiolab 8200CD player. I am thinking of Monitor Audio BX6 but am open to other ideas so would welcome other points of view.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes had thought of Tannoys will investigate, but as a matter of interest do you thing the Brio will work ok with BX6s or would it be a bit bright

A

Anonymous

Love my Brio-R feeding Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4Ts. Not heard the BX6s, but was not impressed with the BX5s when I auditioned them at Richer Sounds.

In addition, the Tannoy's look better!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately wife thinks the Tannoys are a bit wide, wants me to buy something slimmer like the BX6. Also does not like the look of Rega speakers, so any other ideas?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hi, when I was buying speakers , I tried monitor audio bx5 , monitor audio rx6 , B&W 684 , 685 ,cm1 , cm5, and than Regas RS3 . I was looking for big soundstage , detail , nice soft cymbals , and good powerful bass , depth , and ability to sound good on low volumes .

B&W684 and Rega rs3 were in the final ,rs3 are very sweet sounding speakers but lack of debth put me off (weak bass) , in the end I chose Rega rs5 . :)

A

Anonymous

Haven't heard the brio r but did listen to dc6t, bx6 and Dali Zensor7 driven by a cyrus 6a. The track which gave the weirdest variation that I listened to was REM -Finest Work Song, from very bright to more neutral (production on that track seemed odd somehow and exaggerated by the Tannoys) I felt disengaged by the Tannoys.

The Tannoys were not a good match to the 6a as they were really bright to my ears. The MAs and Dali's were better IMO. Smoother, less focus on the higher frequencies than the DC6Ts.

However, the Rega might work better than the 6a with the Tannoys.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi coll

Regarding the BX6 , I have just bought these,I prefered them to MS aviono 8(dissapointingly lifeless) , B&W 684 (muddy bass ,bright treble) THe BX6 had the most open and neutral sound but with deep tight bass ,and they sound epic with my marantz pm7001, BUT ...beware they need a largeish room , otherwise they will sound disorganised, Have you considered the smaller BX5 which will probably have the same character but on a slighty smaller scale which will be more compatable with the average size room. Apparnty they gel well with the rega amp but you MUST audtion the tannoy DC6T if you can, not heeard them myself but as they at about the same price as the BX5 at some stores they must be a bargain, dont forget the tannoys where £800. Good luck and listen before you buy !

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Just to add I did not listen to the MS aviano 8 directly alongside the others , it was in another shop, and it was just a brief listen however I think it was a poor qaulity recording that gave me a bad impression,so it might be worth you giving these a try as well as long as you have space for them

and this guy stresses how well the rega brio works well with the monitor audio BX5,s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXcJmgxbdU

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
domenn said:
hi, when I was buying speakers , I tried monitor audio bx5 , monitor audio rx6 , B&W 684 , 685 ,cm1 , cm5, and than Regas RS3 . I was looking for big soundstage , detail , nice soft cymbals , and good powerful bass , depth , and ability to sound good on low volumes .

B&W684 and Rega rs3 were in the final ,rs3 are very sweet sounding speakers but lack of debth put me off (weak bass) , in the end I chose Rega rs5 . :)

the RS5 was going to be my call!

I've demo the Brio R with the RS3 and stoped the demo, said to the sails man to change speakers, sounded artificial to my ears.

then came the RS5 and much better, but i think Rega speakers aren't for me... But i will give them a final chance, my rega dealer is going to provide me a home demo with the RS5...

But i think my mind is made up for the Dynaudios Excite X12, ohhhhh those litle gems... And in white gloss... :dance:

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Had a demo of MA RX6's and loved them, great bass response and crystal clear mid and treble so ordered them and problem solved.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Coll said:
Had a demo of MA RX6's and loved them, great bass response and crystal clear mid and treble so ordered them and problem solved.

good call! I've demo RX6 as well and loved them, as i always had MA speakers.

and now i want to run away from MA, as they lounch the MR series! And why they did it??? They don't even have them on the official web site, but that MR series does ruin the value of second hand Bronze series!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
...and now i want to run away from MA, as they lounch the MR series! And why they did it??? They don't even have them on the official web site...

They do in the USA...

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/mr-series/

(But only in 'black oak vinyl' finish.)

but why they don't have them in the official UK site, what they are ashamed of...? :?

that MR series is equal in every thing with B series!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts