Floorstanders to bookshelfs with Rotel gear

oppoman

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I have Mordaunt-Short Aviano 6s bi-wired to a Rotel RC-1550 / Rotel RB-1562 setup. It used to sound fantastic in my old house as the room was larger, however our current living space is tiny. As a result I'm considering moving to bookshelf speakers and putting them on top of an entertainment unit as floorstanders and speaker-stands concern me as a hazard for our 5-month old daughter (she will no doubt be moving about by herself in no time). The system is used for music, streaming, gaming, blurays and TV. Any opinions on which of these would best cover a range of formats and match my amp? -Epos K1-B&W 685 S2-KEF LS50-Monitor Audio Silver 2-other options? Also, one issue I have at the moment is when watching movies the voices are hard to hear unless the volume is turned up considerably. Would bookshelf speakers help solve this?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
oppoman said:
I have Mordaunt-Short Aviano 6s bi-wired to a Rotel RC-1550 / Rotel RB-1562 setup. It used to sound fantastic in my old house as the room was larger, however our current living space is tiny. As a result I'm considering moving to bookshelf speakers and putting them on top of an entertainment unit as floorstanders and speaker-stands concern me as a hazard for our 5-month old daughter (she will no doubt be moving about by herself in no time). The system is used for music, streaming, gaming, blurays and TV. Any opinions on which of these would best cover a range of formats and match my amp? -Epos K1 -B&W 685 S2 -KEF LS50 -Monitor Audio Silver 2 -other options? Also, one issue I have at the moment is when watching movies the voices are hard to hear unless the volume is turned up considerably. Would bookshelf speakers help solve this?

Sonus Faber Chameleons look and sound good. However if you are really tight for space as you say you are then you might want to consider a powered / active bookshelf speaker, bypassing the need for your amplifier altogether, thus saving even more space. The Yamaha NX-N500 speakers are well reviewed and the can do wired/wireless streaming duties as well as supporting digital and analogue inputs.

D

Deleted member 160668

Whatever you choose should look for some acoustic foam to isolate from unit. Auralex Mopads, or similar to stop bass reverb. Made huge difference for me.

amormusic said:
Whatever you choose should look for some acoustic foam to isolate from unit. Auralex Mopads, or similar to stop bass reverb. Made huge difference for me.

Better still find some you can wall-mount. None are going to sound their best blu-tacked to something like where you are thinking of placing them.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Perhaps the new version of Monitor Audio Bronze might be worth an audition or Dynaudios. If space is tight and positioning difficult something like the Neat Iota's might help.

Not too sure about the TV sound, you may need a dedicated centre speaker to help here.

oppoman

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
amormusic said:

Better still find some you can wall-mount. None are going to sound their best blu-tacked to something like where you are thinking of placing them.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Perhaps the new version of Monitor Audio Bronze might be worth an audition or Dynaudios. If space is tight and positioning difficult something like the Neat Iota's might help.

Not too sure about the TV sound, you may need a dedicated centre speaker to help here.
I found these -looks like they're more suited to a surround setup though: http://www.krix.com.au/dynamix.html Can I run an active sub and or centre sraight out of my Oppo 103?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts