Question Floorstanders shining at low volumes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
I see. For the record, you don't need as much wattage as you think from your amplifier, especially if you do a lot of low level listening.

Do you already have the Bluesound/CDP/turntable/tape deck? Or which of these do you already have? Also, does your CDP have a digital output?

I still have to do some thinking about the amp... nothing decided yet. So you think the Brio would be enough for the BR09?

I do have a CDP (Marantz CD6006, with digital output yet I prefer the built-in DAC), a turntable (a freshly refurbished Thorens from the 1990s), and the Bluesound Node. Will get my hands on a vintage tape deck as well, next week.

rainsoothe

I still have to do some thinking about the amp... nothing decided yet. So you think the Brio would be enough for the BR09?

I do have a CDP (Marantz CD6006, with digital output yet I prefer the built-in DAC), a turntable (a freshly refurbished Thorens from the 1990s), and the Bluesound Node. Will get my hands on a vintage tape deck as well, next week.
I don't know about the Brio being enough for the BR09, but it's defo enough for the room, with the right speakers (the BR09 might be it).

I also highly rate Marantz CD players, and I think they're untouchable as budget CD players.

I would defo urge you to also try the Triangle BR08, since according to reviews, even the 08 need quite some space around them, and they might prove to really be enough for your room.

For the record, I'd look at partnering a Brio or Cyrus One with Triangle BR08, Fyne Audio F501 or Dali Oberon 5 (or 7), or a Naim Nait 5si/Rega Elex R (I prefer Naim) with Wharfedale Linton or Spendor/Neat stuff.

Or, for even more savings and visual matching, Marantz PM6007 with Wharfedale Diamond 12.3.

Try to audition.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
I don't know about the Brio being enough for the BR09, but it's defo enough for the room, with the right speakers (the BR09 might be it).

I also highly rate Marantz CD players, and I think they're untouchable as budget CD players.

I would defo urge you to also try the Triangle BR08, since according to reviews, even the 08 need quite some space around them, and they might prove to really be enough for your room.

For the record, I'd look at partnering a Brio or Cyrus One with Triangle BR08, Fyne Audio F501 or Dali Oberon 5 (or 7), or a Naim Nait 5si/Rega Elex R (I prefer Naim) with Wharfedale Linton or Spendor/Neat stuff.

Or, for even more savings and visual matching, Marantz PM6007 with Wharfedale Diamond 12.3.

Try to audition.

Thanks for your suggestions - more thinking to do!

Pricewise, the Borea BR09 sit right between the Brio and the Elex-R; however, the amp used in the demo the other day (Vincent SV-500) was definitely more in league with the Brio, not the Elex-R. What kind of puts me off about the Elex is the missing headphone socket, as an external amp would further increase the price tag and also block the Rec Out which I intend to use for a Bluetooth transmitter (haven't come across a suitable headphone amp cum BT yet).

About the difficulty of placement with the Boreas: Without me mentioning it the dealer mentioned the ease of placement, rather - also with respect to there being no rear-firing ports. Questioned about the diametrically different opions found online she claimed that in her opinion they were much easier to place than most others she had come across over the years. Guess I'll have to see for myself once I have them.on loan.

Reactions: rainsoothe

gasolin

Sa saxo can easily be to much in the highs they suffer form the same problem as B&W 600, dali zensor,oberon to much energy in the highs

Go for q acoustics 3030 i or there floorstand spakesr, even concpet 20 should be cheap to get and mabye a better deal than the 3030 i where the only thing i think they do better is bass

Reactions: suburbansky

rainsoothe

Sa saxo can easily be to much in the highs they suffer form the same problem as B&W 600, dali zensor,oberon to much energy in the highs

Go for q acoustics 3030 i or there floorstand spakesr, even concpet 20 should be cheap to get and mabye a better deal than the 3030 i where the only thing i think they do better is bass
This is only your subjective experience. Just like the glowing review another poster made about the B&W 607 Anniversary a short while ago, who didn't find the B&W too much of anything, and he thought they were perfect for their budget. Thats why my advice (and anyone's advice, for that matter) should be to go audition for yourself. Tastes and hearing are not equal.

gasolin

I have had the saxo 1 and 5 and they can have alot of energy in the highs and upper mids like some dali zensor oberon have but feel the spektor 1 doesn't have, scansonic,dynaudio emit, jamo also have alot of energy in the upper midrange,highs that either makes tem analytic or makes you think they have alot of details in those frequencys since they are louder than everything

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts