Need help choosing nearfield HIFI speaker £400 - £500, urgent! :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Willferox said:
just rca and aux outputs

OK. In that case, you need a preamp to combine your DAC and TV inputs. This could be in the form of a standalone preamp or a DAC/Preamp combination.

Audio interfaces would work and you could possibly dispense with the rDAC if you found the performance satisfactory.

Have a look at THIS. It would potentially replace you rDAC and enable you to connect your TV to your monitors, which I presume are connected via RCA to XLR cables?

There are many options for this type of equipment and at varying prices, from hifi to pro audio. The end result is that you will need to be able to combine inputs and be able to control the volume, in addition, you might want to incorporate a DAC. I think that you would be suprised at the quality of the little Roland in the link.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok cool.

A quick query - If I were running my speakers > SUB > dac > comp, but had the sub at volume 0 (only turned up when watching films), would it be degrading to the sound quality of my music with the sub in the chain and not in use?

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Willferox said:
Ok cool.

A quick query - If I were running my speakers > SUB > dac > comp, but had the sub at volume 0 (only turned up when watching films), would it be degrading to the sound quality of my music with the sub in the chain and not in use?
*****Wharfedale SW150

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It would be best to check your manual for the sub, but the outputs will either completely bypass the sub circuitry, or be fed only what is not filtered out. If this is the case, then your speakers will have more headroom, as they won't have to work so hard with the lower frequencies. With the sub 'Off' you might get an automatic full frequency bypass, best to check.

On the back of the BM5As there are frequency cutoff switches which you can use to cut out frequencies lower than the switch setting, this is used when you integrate the sub into the system.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought a cheap volume controller: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/img-stage-line-ila100-rca-passive-stereo-volume-controller-rca-version/443720-01/

So I've got Computer > DAC > Volume > Sub > Speakers. Is that getting too busy? Will that big chain adversely effect sound quality you thinks?

TRENDING THREADS