Floorstanders on carpet

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I have had my monitor audio br5s with spikes on carpet ever since I have owned them. Im now wondering if adding spike shoes and/or plinths will improve on the sound. Can anyone advise? Thanks, Matt.

T

the record spot

On a related theme, I removed the spikes from my Missions at the weekend and it's improved their stability a little - the spikes weren't great shakes to begin with unlike the purpose built plinths used on floorstanders now, plus the twins' are getting more mobile now, so we're minimising the risk a little.

The sound isn't too adversely affected either; not great blooming in the bass, it's still a pleasant listen.....still thinking about Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's though...!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Spikes are always best on carpet IMO

Spike shoes are designed to go under the spikes for solid/wooden floors and plinths (if the speakers dont already come with them) are used for the same principal but for wooden floors (they dampen the bass a bit and make it less boomy IMO)

A

Anonymous

Or you could cut one of these in half and put the speakers on there, though not advisable with small children.

A

Anonymous

Tesco finest granite chopping boards under the existing spikes, with spike shoes - works a treat for me!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:On a related theme, I removed the spikes from my Missions at the weekend and it's improved their stability a little - the spikes weren't great shakes to begin with unlike the purpose built plinths used on floorstanders now, plus the twins' are getting more mobile now, so we're minimising the risk a little. The sound isn't too adversely affected either; not great blooming in the bass, it's still a pleasant listen.....still thinking about Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6's though...!

Have a listen to the Dali Ikon 6 before purchasing, you won't be disappointed

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Depends what's under the carpet.

If it's solid concrete spikes are still best IMHO. If it's a suspended wooden floor then A granite block with something like felt to isolate it from the floor seems to work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts