Floorstanders for Rega Brio 2017

Pearls Girl

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Looking for some floor standing speakers in the sub £1,000 (region) for a large room. Need to be warm, very low fatigue, rolled off treble. I realise the 50w Brio isn’t the most powerful.

Even though they aren’t floor standers I’ve got half an eye on the Linton Heritage large bookshelf speakers. I’m wondering if they could pack enough punch.

Any ideas?

13ft x 22ft
That’s similar to our room, and Lintons should be loud enough. Though they’re apparently on the smoother side, no speakers that I can think of have a “rolled off treble“ as that would be a design failing. I’m sure you don’t want the overbearing brightness that impresses briefly, so I get what your seeking.
Given you have no tone controls on your Brio, you’ll have to experiment with toe-in, furnishings and such like.
Maybe some used Spendor or Harbeth, or if new then Q Acoustics 3050i, Concept 40, or Dali Oberon 5 or 7 are worth a look and listen.

Reactions: Al ears
Looking for some floor standing speakers in the sub £1,000 (region) for a large room. Need to be warm, very low fatigue, rolled off treble. I realise the 50w Brio isn’t the most powerful.

Even though they aren’t floor standers I’ve got half an eye on the Linton Heritage large bookshelf speakers. I’m wondering if they could pack enough punch.

Any ideas?
This may sound like a ridiculous suggestion, but how about Rega's own speakers?

It's true the latest incarnations haven't exactly received glowing reviews, they are designed to work with their sibling amps. I would look at older version, such as these.

Clickety

matthewpiano

Given the sound you are seeking, I would recommend the Wharfedale Linton 85s. I wouldn't describe them as being rolled off in the treble, but they are less forward than a lot of speakers and lay the sound out in front of you in a way that encourages long listening sessions. Combined with the Brio's leaning towards warmth, they will make a very satisfying sound.

The one caveat I will mention is that they need a bit of breathing space to give their best - ideally at least 50-60cm from the rear wall. If you can't give them this space you would be better looking elsewhere, as this is the reason why my Linton 85s are currently stored away in their boxes (not an easy thing to find space for, and an expensive bit of kit to have sitting idle).

The Dali Oberons are a more flexible speaker with regard to positioning, and will respond well to the decent current delivery of the Brio. They are more open at the top than the Wharfedales, but I never find them bright.

Pearls Girl

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Would you be willing to sell them? Where are you located?

I’ve listened to the Dali Oberon 5’s with a Cambridge amp and while they sounded good, that combination was on the bright side for me.

Dezp

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I too have a Rega Brio (2017) hooked up to a Rega planar 2 with a full origin live rb300 arm. A lot of speaker suggestions for this brio seem to swing towards higher price brackets. It is an excellent little amp but not sure pairing with £1000+ would not be a limiting factor for the speakers .

I had originally a pair of rega Rx1 (£795). I can vouch for the synergy but they just lacked a little involvement and scale. I sold them and bought a pair of Fyne F302. Floor standers they may be but seem more suited to smaller rooms.Provided everything the Regas lacked: weight and enthusiasm. They seem a perfect match to my ears. They used to sell for £399 but have creapt up to £479. So would advise caution in spending too much for an amp that retails for £599.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts