New Amp and Speakers advice from Australia (so product availability is limited)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, your collective opinions and experiences would be very much appreciated.

I am in Australia so product availability is a large part of my problem.

I’m buying a new hifi (just amp & speakers) with the following criteria:

• The setup is in an 16 foot square, wood-floored room (however would like it to carry potential to fill double this space for when I move house next)
  • I listen to some instrumental and vocal music, and a lot of punchy drum n bass, and dub from vinyl via a vestax mixer.
  • I like loud/powerful music with punch, but I also produce a little on PC (through a mixer channel), so a natural “accurate” sound with clear definition is important.
  • $3600 is my budget for speakers and amp, however savings to this would be a good thing.
  • There is not too much space so nothing rear ported – speakers should be front ported or sealed if poss as they’d need to be within about 12 inches of walls to the rear.

I’ve been trying to find a perfect speaker to start with but I’ve got a bit stuck, so I’ve instead found the amps available first and narrowed down the main options… I cannot find a Kandy k2 to audition or buy, so would have to ship this from uk and is not preferred. This leaves two primary candidates:

Question#1:

Rotel 1520 - $1150 (concerned a little underpowered – my Cambridge Audio 50wpc now isn’t quite enough, and reviews say the phono stage isn’t the strongest on the rotel)

Or

Marantz 7004 - $1100 (probably the best option and value? What are people’s concerns with this amp?)

So my options then would be some good quality floorstanders (the only primary choice non-rear ported ones I can find are the DC6T’s at ludicrous prices though):

Question#2:

TANNOY Revolution DC6T Floorstanders - $1999 (are these too expensive? and could they be too large for the space? What are other good options?)

Alternatively I’d be very keen to pick up a monitor / sub combo. I really like the sound of this sub:

Rythmic Audio F12 - $1000

Question#3:

What are my bookshelf / monitor options to match with either the rotel or marantz amp, plus the rhythmic sub?

I would like recommendations for something with high accuracy in the mid and treble, and also with a clear definition on the bass, but without necessarily needing a low bass cutoff (to allow the sub to carry nearly all the low load, without interfering or muddying the sound). Budget remaining for these would be around $1500.

tl;dr

#1: Rotel 1520 or Marantz 7004?

#2: Would Tannoy DC6T floorstanders be too much for an 16ft square room, and are they overpriced at $2k? What alternatives are there?

#3: What bookshelf/monitor options are there to match with either amp plus a Rythmic Audio F12 sub?

Cheers all… any input whatsoever would be great, and whatever the opinion I’ll try to audition a couple, but availability is very poor where I live.

A

Anonymous

Cheers :) not a link I'd previously found. I'd hesitate to pick up second hand speakers (after some bad experiences) but it will be useful for amplifiers.

Any advice on what setup would best suit the room? It's what to seek that I'm really struggling with: first ideally, then within what is available (I'm very curious as to how much my location will limit my options - if I post on the aussie forums they all just say aussie-built is the best... while there is likely to be an element of truth there in terms of value for money, it's not the most objective opinion)

Should I consider some near-field monitors with a sub, or would these become an issue with larger (i.e. 30 foot square) roomsize if/when I move house?

Gah so many questions :wall:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at Event Opal monitors. They are available in Aus, but may not suit you with regards to their looks. They are however, very capable, powerful and by all accounts, superb. You would not need any subs with these, but you would need some sort of preamp or audio interface.

Pop into a pro audio shop and have a look around.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Alternatively, have you considered Australian speakers? As they are locally made rather than imported they can be good value for money.

I7ve had good experiences with Krix and Legend Acoustics (thought legend are a bit pricey). I believe there are others like VAF Research and Whatmough. Being out of the country, I haven't listened to any Aussie speakers in a while, but if a local dealer carries them it could be worth having a listent.

A

Anonymous

Ah much droools... yea that yamaha looks about right specs for what I need, however I think I need the greater investment to go into the speakers. It's probably over twice my budget new. Thanks though... lol more options :O

I do have locally-built speakers in mind but I'm seeking the ideal option for my budget first (from a global perspective - out of all brands), and will measure this against both local availability, and the quality & value of the aussie brands. If they Aussies hold their own they will become the default option due to value I think. I'd still really like an established standard to test against before having more of a listen because the better Australian models aren't actually much cheaper than the more mainstream brands.

A

Anonymous

Ok I think I've narrowed it down. I've decided that while floorstanders would be better long term, they'd struggle not to overpower my current space (hardwood floors in a smallish room)

If I go for the Marantz PM7004, 70wpc, and the powered Rythmik audio either F12 or F15 sub (budget permitting), then I was thinking of testing the partnership with some bookshelf speakers.

Has anyone any thoughts on how well either of these would fit in this setup...

Dynaudio DM 2/7, or Tannoy DC4 revolution signitures?

Cheers :beer:

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I think Dynaudio bookshelfs are a good option, try both the DM2/7 and the Excite X12 which are smaller but can be had for about $1400 in australia. When I was buying speakers I also found that aussie brands weren't really that good value in comparison anyway so ended up buying Mordaunt Short. I'd demo the B&W CM-5, both the Dynaudios and the Tannoys as well as the MA RX-1.

The RA 1520 is more than powerful enough for any of these speakers and is probably better sound wise and better value than the Marantz 7004. When you look at UK prices for Naim,Roksan,& Cyrus you notice that 800 pound somehow translates into $2,000 plus on our shores. The Rotel at $1150 is a comparitive steal to what my local hifi store want for a Cyrus 6A: $2500 !!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, yes this is spot on - just what I've been finding so frustrating for all my audio equipment (i.e. decks, mixers also)

I started off looking at the Rotel amp, but the Marantz is the same price with a better phono stage, better reviewed mid-range and more power... I did listen to a few setups with the Rotel a while ago and I thought the definition wasn't the best compared to the Marantz models, which seem more analytical and agile (through monitors)... although definitely didn't 'wow' me. The Rotel more punchy but a little muddy through monitors in comparison. It wasn't in anything close to an ideal listening room (just middle of shop) so the Rotel could work with a less-woolly listening space (like I have at home with wood floors etc) plus the addition of a sub would really change things I think.

Both are about the same price (in fact the Marantz $100 cheaper) and pretty much the only viable options I've found..

I'd probably be happy with either but unfortunately the local store won't let me take them home to try out which suits best.

It also doesn't make sense to try them until I've got the speaker choice sorted as this could influence the choice (e.g. B&W would push me towards the Rotel). This is the speaker choice that may be influenced by what amplifier I choose... lol.

Auditioning presents some problems too as a) I won't have the sub, and b) I won't be in my listening room. I'll see if I can try a few combinations anyway, your suggestions included, thanks :dance:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The price of hifi is a travesty in Australia.

Good luck with your auditioning. As you narrow it down it is all going to be a matter of taste. I prefer to the Rotel myself.

The PM7004 hasn't impressed me, and in here in Japan in is more like a $600-$700 amp, but maybe the phono stage will doe the business for you. Never listened to vinyl with it.

Just to check, by 16 foot square you mean 16 foot x 16 foot not 4 foot x 4 foot (120cm x 120cm), right?

A

Anonymous

Hmm my comment re: the phono stage was entirely based on reviews I've read of the Rotel being poor in this area. I haven't managed to find anywhere to test with vinyl. I will definitely have to test this before I buy anything. Damn that makes it more complicated lol... I'll only be happy if I've convinced myself it's the right choice though. Cheers for the input :cheers:

And a travesty indeed. There is a keen market for a small, ethical importer to make a mint through legitimate business reselling here... from decks, mixers through all the main EU hifi manufacturers... a warehouse shipping importer would make killings.

..and yes, 16 foot square, not 16 square feet (I did smile picturing a 70wpc amp, 100w speakers, plus a powered 12" sub in a 4 foot square room... my latest Mungo's Hifi vinyl purchase would make that a very VERY small room lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS64jfnBZKU :dance:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
afaik said:
Should I consider some near-field monitors with a sub, or would these become an issue with larger (i.e. 30 foot square) roomsize if/when I move house?

Gah so many questions :wall:

Yes, Event Opals (or similar), no sub required. They will have every quality that you mentioned in your first post. Large amounts of power on tap and excellent flat frequency response. Most monitors of this size and power would be fine in larger rooms.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/articles/eventopal.htm

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I have the Dynaudio Excite X-12s, great little speaker smooth detailed and good fun with anything you throw at it, some people feel the treble is a bit recessed but I think its great and i can listen to them all day with no fatigue. I have just ordered a B&W PV1d to give me that extra bass while trying to maintain the tight fast sound to go with my Leema Pulse. I also have a burson Audio buffer which opened the sound up even more made the bass thump harder and tighter. Yes hi-fi prices here are ridiculous, I did however get my Leema from the UK when they were clearing them and got it delivered here all for half the price they were asking for it here.

A

Anonymous

Ah lol I WISH I could afford one of those... if I got that I'd basically have nothing left for speakers. I'm going to try the Rotel and Marantz as they are in the price bracket. Unfortunately the only hifi shop near my doesn't stock any of the speakers I'm looking at, but I'll at least get a relative comparison on the amps.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm the Epos are available locally and sound like a possibility... also the Creek - cheers, more to consider!! I'll ask around to see if I can have a listen.

A

Anonymous

Speakers update:

Ok, the Epos have a large rear port which doesn't look too wall-friendly - I couldn't audition them however.

I listened to the Dynaudio's; punchy but they tended to get a bit echoey at the bass end when I moved them closer to the walls in the shop (I have a medium sized room but not much space to work with - it's just the living room)

So... I'll discount the Dynaudio's (2/7, didn't have the excites in shop to try), and I won't try the Epos unless I cannot find anything at all that's not rear ported.

So... any suggestions for passive bookshelf speakers that aren't rear ported (or specifically work well near-ish walls, 30 cm or so)?

I am still toying with the idea of a sub, so the priority is excellent mid & treble definition but I can live with a reasonably high lower-end to the frequency response range... any ideas?

The best sounding speakers I've heard that meet that criteria (in the price range) are tannoy rev sig DC4's, but at DOUBLE the UK list price over here, and only 50watt continuous, I'm not sure they'll have the expansion potential I'm after...

Sheesh, I am less certain now than when I made this post :wall: again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts