floorstanders for audiolab mono blocs

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all hifi lovers my audiolab 8000 cd 8000 q and 8000 m need new speakers. My current speakers are ma rs1s. They have exellent detail but as you probably all know not enougth bass. Im hoping to get a floorstander with the same detail though obviously with a deeper broader sounstage. Bw 684s are my first choice or maybe dali zensor 5. Im a bit wary of getting another pair of monitor audios as the audiolabs are quite a crisp detailed sound and this does tend to aggravate the ma's a little bit. Any ideas any one? ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What size is your room? Is there a budget you're working to? Is it bass quantity you're after or bass depth?

Going by your 684 budget, themobvious progression would be the Monitor Audio RX2's. They may be a standmount, but with an 8" driver and a larger cabinet volume than your RS1's, they'll reach deeper. They're a little smoother than the RS1's too. With these, the change won't be too drastic.

Up to around the £1,000 mark, I'd usually recommend standmounts over floorstanders as you'll normally get better quality for your money.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks david will bare that in mind. Just out of interest if i were to down size my system and go for a naim uniti wld i be losing a lot of sound quality? obviously the power rating wld drop considerably but the nlaim components the unti is based on are surely for the most part price comparable to what i have now including my arcam t32 tuner, how wld the two compare. I also read some where that the unti can be used in bi amp mode with a naim power amp which wld also be a worth while upgrade option if the uniti alone wldnt be as good as i have now.

A

Anonymous

Fully agree with the above comments

The M/A RX2's are SUPERB speakers and IMO hard to beat under £1k; I'd even go to say that they're better than the Dynaudio DM2/6's and 2/7's when it comes to all out bass reproduction and detailed soundstage...

The B&W 684's are very good speakers though but again, IMO, bettered by the likes of the Monitor Audio RX6's and the QUAD 22L2's (the latter being fairly smooth but very detailed)

I know what you're saying re the Audiolabs being quite honest and open and the top end ( a little clinical/'fresh' if being honest) but the M/A RX range of speakers is no where ear as bright as the older RS range. They've changed that much that they gel VERY well with the current Cyrus stuff so to me, that says a lot!

Having spent a lot of time this year demoing all sorts of system from NAD to Audiolab to Cyrus to Naim etc... and with speakers from the above mentioned M/A and Dynaudio's to various Dali, Neat, PMC and B&W speakers, I found that the NAD, Audiolab and Cyrus seperates to be best with the PMC, QUAD and Monitor Audio speakers

A

Anonymous

audioaddict said:
Thanks david will bare that in mind. Just out of interest if i were to down size my system and go for a naim uniti wld i be losing a lot of sound quality? obviously the power rating wld drop considerably but the nlaim components the unti is based on are surely for the most part price comparable to what i have now including my arcam t32 tuner, how wld the two compare. I also read some where that the unti can be used in bi amp mode with a naim power amp which wld also be a worth while upgrade option if the uniti alone wldnt be as good as i have now.

I think you would yes, having demo'd the Naim Uniti (just out of curiosity more than anything else as TBH I really dont get on well with the Naim sound) IO found the system overall to be a bit dull and lifeless at times but then it'd really open up and surprise you (with then likes of Jazz etc...)

The Audiolab system you've got is belting and for me would trounce the Naim full stop but then really, you shouldnt compare all in one systems with a full seperates system!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks mate youve told me told me all i needed to know hopefully i csn now stick to my favoured ma speakers and will give the new range a try and keep my beloved system cheers

A

Anonymous

Dont rule out the QUAD 22L2's...

They're superb speakers and ones I nearly bought (and still VERY tempted by to potentially replace my BX5's). The only reason I didnt buy them when I demo'd them against the M/A RX6's to go with my NAD & Arcam system before I replaced it all with my Marantz system below was that I was offered the RX6's at the same price and the wife loved the piano black finish (the QUAD's were out of stock at that time in the same finish)!!!

However do have a listen to the M/A RX2's as well; on good stands (i.e. Atacama HMS2's or Partington Super Dreadnoughts at a minimum and mass-loaded) they sing superbly and go very deep indeed! They have a huger 8" driver which kicks out masses of welly but it's articulate and detailed but will still vibrate the house if necessary!!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:

As before - with the change in speakers, are you after extra extension or quantity?

Your separates are still very good. Personally, I'd keep them, but if you really did want to downscale, the Uniti is an excellent system. As far as quality is concerned, I think it would give your Audiolabs a run for their money, but it's not going to compete regarding all out power, but adding a power amp would help here. It's an excellent streamer with a good app, making it easy and enjoyable to use, and with access to Internet radio stations, you'll find it every bit as good as your T32, but with the added bonus of many more stations to choose from. Going the Uniti route will need planning at the same time as changing the speakers.

audioaddict said:
Thanks mate youve told me told me all i needed to know hopefully i csn now stick to my favoured ma speakers and will give the new range a try and keep my beloved system cheers

Hi audioaddict

Ime, Silver RX6's will offer a big uplift in peformance over the already impressive Silver RS1's. As good as Silver RX2's are however i've found Silver RX6's (with their dedicated mid and bass units) to offer better resolution with a much cleaner and detailed mid range together with a tighter, weightier and more dynamic bass performance. The Silver RX6's also sound more at ease at almost any comparable listening level. I've also found Silver RX6's to work a treat with the 8000M's :)

Anyway i'd be grateful if you could also help with the following please -

What do you generally listen to?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room walls are (concrete, brick etc.)?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Room floor is (concrete, carpeted, marble,wooden etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Are your Silver RS1's stand, shelf or wall mounted?

What interconnects and speaker cables will you be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I listen to all types of music and eventually my speakers will fire down the room as opposed to across and placed in a bay window area so will most likely be sitting in free space so not sure if stand mounts will work there. At the moment my rs1s are against a wall with atacama stands and silver aanniversary cable. If however as david mentioned i did gdt a unity would all the aforementioned speakers be a good match

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I don't feel the RS1 would be a particularly good match, however, the RX2's would be better (there's just something about the old RS and Naim pairing that didn't gel, for me). Also, try the ProAc Studio 115's and KEF R300's. If you like bass, you'll love the R300's, and we have a pair singing on the end of a Unity in our demo room at the moment. Excellent match.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks david i will try and get a listen to a uniti and then decide as id hate to give up my system and regret it. Obviously too id have to sell the audiolab and arcam and speakers to fund the uniti and speakers.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually david if i cld bend ur ear again and ask your opinion on actually changing my amp to an arcam a38. Obviously it wld match my t32 tuner plus giving me a smoother sound plus also allowing me to cut down on the amount of boxes i have. My speakers wld be upgraded in future but cost wise i think id get quite a bit for the amps and if i shop around and get the amp at a gd price it wldnt cost that much extra if any as ive seen some good deals on it. What do you think? any advice is much appreciated.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
That is an option, but it's a case of whether you want to try and tame a bright speaker with electronics, which doesn't give you many options. But the A38 is a good amp and will smooth out the RS1's, so it'll do what you want it to, but you'll just have to see if you like the sound of it compared to what you have. I would still stick to your current Audiolabs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts