Floorstanders - £1,500 max. Advice, please...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

very nice , i like the little 50s rocket style feet ...

been reading a few reviews , all good too , were they at the top end of your budget ?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
They were 2nd-hand; new c. £3,800. Yes, I've gone over my initial £1,500 budget, but these Forests are in immaculate condition, cost a few hundred less than a new pair of Spendor A6s or ProAc D18s (c. £2,000), and the Forests sound infinitely, freakishly, gobsmackingly in-another-league compared to the A6 or D18 (IMHO
emotion-10.gif
).

The "'50s rocket-style feet" actually stand on self-centering ball bearings, which is kinda cool and supposed to benefit 'isolation' and reduce resonance.

Keep jumping from one fave piece of music to another. The End by The Doors has just started - 'scuse me, I need to turn out the lights, lay on the floor and stare at the ceiling...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
The more I listen to the Forests, the more amazed I become. Each play of a familiar CD or SACD is accompanied by guffaws and expletives of delight.

It's as if the Forest contains an ECU that 'sorts' any type of hitherto flawed, IMO, recording and simply makes it sound gorgeous. Ropey old early AAD 'rush-job' release? Sorted. Bass-heavy contemporary release? Sorted. The hideous SQ that is Arcade Fire's debut? Sorted (well, almost). Fifties era benchmark classical performances that are tainted by SQ that's a 'wall-of-sound'-style mush? Ooo, hullo, we now actually have some separation.

A few years ago I was fortunate to inadvertently purchase the (now-deleted) hybrid SACD/CD of Ziggy Stardust, when Amazon had it for £7 as its then-only remastered CD version. To date, when played on an SACD-compatible CD37, although I've always heard heaps of extra detail, TBH the SACD's SQ was alarmingly tinny and 'flat' overall. Yet, via the Forests there's now spooky separation and depth; deep and tight bass guitar and drum; no hint of brightness - and even more detail.

The Forests simply 'don't do brightness'. When previously listening to live recordings, if my setup relayed top-end detail, then the trade-off was audience applause that sounded as if thousands of people were shaking large sheets of tinfoil. Now I'm hearing even more top-end detail, but the applause sounds realistic/'human'.

Extraordinary.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Great news. Now change the Chameleon for something better like a Nordost Heimdall. You won't regret it.

Ta.

Yes, I'm looking to change the Chameleon.

Nordost Heimdall? Tell me more, please. Also, did you use it with your Arcam setup?

[EDIT] Erm, just Googled various stockists for x2 3m lengths of Nordost Heimdall biwire - c. £1300.
emotion-8.gif

I was thinking of something along the lines of Chord Odyssey 4 (biwire)...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I didn't I'm afraid. But I've had a Chameleon which I found to be too heavy and lacking in detail and separation. The Heimdall just adds depth, imaging is much better, far more musical than the Chord in every way.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
I didn't I'm afraid. But I've had a Chameleon which I found to be too heavy and lacking in detail and separation. The Heimdall just adds depth, imaging is much better, far more musical than the Chord in every way.

Yep, I now find the Chameleon a wee bit 'gloopy' at the bottom-end, forced at the top-end - to artificially create an impression of detail? - and lacking in the mid-range.

Heimdall seems to be well regarded. Shame that it's out of my price range.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:JoelSim:

Yep, I now find the Chameleon a wee bit 'gloopy' at the bottom-end, forced at the top-end - to artificially create an impression of detail? - and lacking in the mid-range.Heimdall seems to be well regarded. Shame that it's out of my price range.

I bet it isn't second-hand. Just ensure that you ask the seller whether it is a genuine length or a cutdown, on fleabay you are covered as a buyer. I liked mine so much I swapped my RCA for an XLR when I got an amp with balanced capability.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
6th.replicant:JoelSim:

Yep, I now find the Chameleon a wee bit 'gloopy' at the bottom-end, forced at the top-end - to artificially create an impression of detail? - and lacking in the mid-range. Heimdall seems to be well regarded. Shame that it's out of my price range.

Me too, I found the Chord Chorus 2 far better than the Chameleon, particularly in detail and resolution of highest and lowest frequencies, worth a try?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:6th.replicant:Heimdall seems to be well regarded. Shame that it's out of my price range.
I bet it isn't second-hand. Just ensure that you ask the seller whether it is a genuine length or a cutdown, on fleabay you are covered as a buyer. I liked mine so much I swapped my RCA for an XLR when I got an amp with balanced capability.

Do you have any experience of AntiCables' stuff? CLICKETY

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:JoelSim:6th.replicant:Heimdall seems to be well regarded. Shame that it's out of my price range.

Do you have any experience of AntiCables' stuff? CLICKETY

I don't I'm afraid.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Sweet. I want some now
emotion-5.gif

Aye, I think you'd really enjoy the Forest.

BTW Igglebert, thank you very much indeed for the tip - I'd never have considered, or found, these beauties otherwise.

I owe you
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

You're welcome! Just what you come across on the forums, spending your savings in your head, etc
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts