Floorstanders - £1,500 max. Advice, please...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750:You cold always consider a pair of Spendor S6es - pretty close to the A6, allegedly more soe than the S5e / A5 evolution. They are bi-wireable too if that really is important. I'm sure you can find a new pair discounted to around £1200, and about half that for a good condition used pair off the bay.
emotion-21.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Well, you could knock me over with a Phoenix feather...

Tried the Argon 3L with my tuner and Radio 3 FM sounds gorgeous - best I've ever heard in my home/on kit I own. A lovely detailed and expansive sound with no hint of brightness - but perhaps a wee bit too warm?

Then noticed that I was using Chord ChameleonPlus interconnects with the tuner. And Chord Chameleon Silver Plus with the CDP.

Swapped 'em and the difference is marked: tuner has more detail, still no brightness, warmth toned down but still pleasing. CDP/Argon 3L combo has lost much of its brightness, gained some mid-range oomph, generally sounding more analogue overall but there's still a hint of harshness with brass instruments (eg Miles Davis's various bugles throughout Porgy and Bess). Hopefully, the last mentioned will subside during the 3Ls' run-in period?

Now listening to Fritz Reiner & CSO's Rimsky-Korsakov/Scheherazade SA-CD - and hairs are standing.

Hmm, now starting to really appreciate the Argon 3L...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I've never heard of a Chameleon Plus! Is it an older version of the CSP?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I've never heard of a Chameleon Plus! Is it an older version of the CSP?
FutureShop.co.uk is promoting ChameleonPlus as a new product: clickety. (ChameleonPlus is copper, so I'm told..?)

Ironically, I assumed my ChameleonPlus was a set of CSPs - both are blue. When I recently bought the P38 I asked the dealer for some CSPs, he said: "As you're a regular customer, you can have them half-price." (Which was nice.) I saw the familiar packaging, fonts and blue cables and assumed it was a box of CSPs.
emotion-10.gif

Still, in hindsight it's the best hifi mistake I've ever made.
emotion-2.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Now given the Amphion Argon 3Ls c. 170 hours and the bright top-end has mellowed considerably.

However, have decided that the 3L works best with an analogue source - rather lovely with a tuner/Radio 3 FM or a TT - but, in comparison, sound cold and flat when playing CDs, SA-CDs or streaming hi-res DLs.

Alas, as I own c. 100 LPs and c. 800 CDs, the Argon 3L is not for me. Shame, because they do look stunning.

Next...

A

Anonymous

Well, you've got an excellent CDP so it's not like it's reasonable to swap that instead! Keep 'em coming 6th, I really enjoy reading about your investigation
emotion-5.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Currently listening to Jazz Record Requests on Radio 3 FM, with the Argon 3Ls. Coincidently, a few tracks have now been played that I also own on CD and recently listened to on my CDP with the 3Ls.

Can't believe the difference - it's night and day!! Via Radio 3 FM, the same tracks have an amazing soundstage, depth, separation, detail and texture. Yet, via the CDP all I heard was a wall of dead, cold mush in comparison.

Wut??!! How can a speaker's sound be so varied via different sources??
emotion-7.gif

Methinks Amphion 'tunes' its speakers for valve CDPs?

T

the record spot

Oh aye mate? Eastern Electric, Vincent...or anything that's been Lampizator'd....! 'No cheap like!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Oh aye mate? Eastern Electric, Vincent...or anything that's been Lampizator'd....! 'No cheap like!
Indeed, too rich for my sporran! Something to aspire to, though.
emotion-2.gif

Not really in a position to change my current CDP because I bought it only a couple of months ago - and I love its SA-CD playback. Plus, the CD37 was a sweety with Spendor's A5 and A6 - but they can't be bi-amp'ed.
emotion-6.gif

Time to demo some more speakers...
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

I see some of the higher end Missions are coming down in price. The 794 and 796 might be worth a listen? Also the top end Regas maybe? And a bit off to the left-field, how about the Duevel Planets or something from the Monopulse range (I think the ones I'm thinking of there were the 32As)? Very good reviews and interesting designs. See also Elac, the German speaker maker, who do some fine floorstanders, but get little attention in the UK.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:...how about the Duevel Planets ...
duevel-planet-speakers.jpg

"Ah, but is it art?"
emotion-8.gif

[EDIT]
Actually, damn you, they seem to have some interesting reviews!

And look kinda cool in silver/grey.
emotion-1.gif

Also useful for drying clothes, no doubt.
emotion-7.gif

Hate to admit it, but a demo seems tempting...
emotion-3.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Jeez, look at this mutha! The Duevel Jupiter - pretty sure I collected something similar when I last played Tomb Raider...

jup2th.jpg

Surely this is the type of 'device' that features in Andrew Everard's blogs..?

T

the record spot

6th.replicant:
"Ah, but is it art?"
emotion-8.gif

[EDIT]
Actually, damn you, they seem to have some interesting reviews!

i) No mate, Art is a Scottish speaker manufacturer of the "not cheap" variety and...

ii) of course they do! Did you think I'd recommend any old rubbish?!?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

85 dB W senstivity and 50W power handling suggests to me that they don't go particularly loud. Still, if the impedance curve is fairly easy going then a valve amp might produce lovely results. They don't strike me as quite what you're after Mr Rep.

A

Anonymous

Just spotted a pair of Totem Forest going for £1.8k over on the other forum that sounds like a tent. These sound rather interesting.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Just spotted a pair of Totem Forest going for £1.8k ...
Oh
emotion-8.gif
My
emotion-8.gif
God
emotion-8.gif

Think I might have actually heard Totem's Forest - the Native American-sounding name and ball-bearing malarkey is ringing a bell, unless there's another very similar product? - during a dinner at an ex-GF's ex-BF's house ("Yes dear, I get the picture - you wish you were still with him... Thanks.").

Anyway, I digress, the Forests were hooked up to a very impressive setup (Naim??) that was as tall as the Seagram Building (a seemingly never-ending stack of monoblocks and what appeared to be a three-box CDP - if memory serves??).

Seem to remember that the speakers were rather magnificent: chunks of 3D-type separation from a full-orchestra piece (Mozart, if I recall correctly?), for example, and generally sounded spookily 'real' overall. I'm sure the source and amps played their part but, as we all know, duff speakers can strangle even the finest CDP-amp combo.

If, by the time I've returned the Amphions and received my refund, the tent fella's Forests are still available - I'll 'ave 'em. Although at that price, I'm not holding my breath ...
emotion-6.gif

A canny find! Thanks, Igglebert.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

You're welcome. If I had the room I'd consider a pair of these myself. Good luck, these might just be your fate
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:maxflinn:
just spotted these at sevenoaks 6th , wilson benesch square 2 .. £1250 ?? just thought id mention it ..

Cheers for the heads up, Max. Much appreciated.
emotion-1.gif

However, the Square 2 can't be bi-wired/bi-amp'ed. And after my posts in your A28 thread, I think you already know my views re bi-amp'ing.
emotion-2.gif
i had noticed
emotion-4.gif
well fwiw ill try biwiring , what have i got to lose
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts