Floorstanders - £1,500 max. Advice, please...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:See the Mountain Snow ex-dem list (list of independent dealers - the equivalent to BADA Marketplace).
emotion-21.gif

T

the record spot

Should've added Audio Emotion who have a lot of higher end stuff some of which flits down into the sub £1500 arena. Plenty above that of course, but they're good to deal with. Extensive pre-owned list at that, but a lot of it comes with a 5 year warranty as standard and usually in excellent or near mint condition.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Will be demo'ing PMC GB1i & FB1i; Spendor A5; ProAc 130 & 140 on Weds.

A pal has suggested also sampling the Amphion Argon 3L, so even though it's not bi-amp'ble I've arranged a home demo. If it sounds half as good as it looks (in ash)...

Amphion+Argon+3L+review.jpg

T

the record spot

If you can still get them, Leema Xones were reduced from circa £2k down to £850 in some outlets. Worth shortlisting perhaps. Not read many reviews, but given the quality of the rest of their gear, maybe good to at least chalk off after listening?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:See the Mountain Snow ex-dem list...

the record spot:Should've added Audio Emotion who have a lot of higher end stuff some of which flits down into the sub £1500 arena...

the record spot:If you can still get them, Leema Xones were reduced from circa £2k down to £850 in some outlets...
Record Spot, your eye for a bargain is very much appreciated.
emotion-21.gif

Do I detect a fellow Caledonian?
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

Aye, right enough! Likesay ken?
emotion-5.gif

Speaking about bargains, have a look at Gumtree's UK wide "Stereo and Audio boards" in the For Sale section (you can now search across the whole of the UK without having to go to one town, then another and so on, the functionality's been much improved IMO). Some cracking stuff up for grabs there. Aura CD50 CDP for £20 in London? Get on that pony!!

EDIT: Haven't a clue what it's like by the way, but that company did the very decent Aura VA100 amp in the early/mid 1990s - think it was around the £300 or so mark at the time. there's also a Pioneer Reference SA676 amp, some B&W DM601 S2s for £65, some Tannoy Reveal standmounts for £100 and a new pair of MA RS600s for £400, brand new.

Anyway, I'm off to have a listen to this Philips 850 CDP I've been blathering on about elsewhere. Apologies for the thread hijack!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Arcam and ProAc go well together.

Also try Neat Elite and Kudos C2, they would have to be ex-demo but both work extremely well with Arcam.

There is a pair of the formers going on a site full of stereo red indians.

A

Anonymous

Have a listen to the Tannoy Rev. Sig. DC6 T if you can, they are stunning in my opinion and an absolute bargain considering the performance and finish.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Had a demo session this morning. To cut a long story short, the Spendor A5 is now topping my list - albeit also ruling out bi-amp'ing. Hmm.

But, I also sampled the the Spendor A6... Curiously, I found it to be less subtle than the A5 when playing tracks from Massive Attack's Heligoland - an observation that seemed to irk the dealer - IMO the A6's overall sound seemed more 'in yer face'.

However, when playing classical music and jazz, the A6 was a revelation - instruments sounded sooo real and 'alive'. Pianos - eg Murray Perahia/Goldberg Variations and Beaux Arts Trio/Schubert Piano Trio No.2 E Flat - had a real sense of scale and 3D/timbre, actually sounding like a pukka grand piano as opposed to an upright tinkling away in a bar.

Also listened to Miles Davis's Porgy and Bess - a CD that, IME, can sound very grating on some kit - and the A6 made it sound so sweet, musical and involving, with no sense of harshness whatsoever.

Looks like I might have to increase my budget?

In the meantime, the Amphion Argon 3L arrives for its demo on Friday...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Stereolad:Have a listen to the Tannoy Rev. Sig. DC6 T if you can, they are stunning in my opinion and an absolute bargain considering the performance and finish.
Yep, also on the list - and suitable for bi-amp'ing, too...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:IMO the A6's overall sound seemed more 'in yer face'.
Yeah, I found that too. I was quite surprised when I pressed play! You're spot on that the more forward treble suits some music though, but it needs to be OK for the long term. The A5 is closer in sound to the SA1, with a slightly darker sound.

I notice that Lintone Audio have a pair of used Spendor STs for sale on their ebay shop, starting bid £2.5k. These are RRP £6k!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:6th.replicant:IMO the A6's overall sound seemed more 'in yer face'.
Yeah, I found that too. I was quite surprised when I pressed play! You're spot on that the more forward treble suits some music though, but it needs to be OK for the long term. The A5 is closer in sound to the SA1, with a slightly darker sound. ...
TBH, I didn't notice the forward treble. When playing rock/soul/electronica, the A6 was more of a 'Brian Blessed' compared to the A5's 'Anthony Hopkins', if, er, you get my drift??

However, the A6 was gorgeous with classical/jazz/acoustic, which is/are my priority.

Ahh, even now, I can still 'hear' the A6...
emotion-1.gif

igglebert:... I notice that Lintone Audio have a pair of used Spendor STs for sale on their ebay shop, starting bid £2.5k. These are RRP £6k!
Eek! Now you're being cruel...

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:igglebert:6th.replicant:IMO the A6's overall sound seemed more 'in yer face'. Yeah, I found that too. I was quite surprised when I pressed play! You're spot on that the more forward treble suits some music though, but it needs to be OK for the long term. The A5 is closer in sound to the SA1, with a slightly darker sound. ... TBH, I didn't notice the forward treble. When playing rock/soul/electronica, the A6 was more of a 'Brian Blessed' compared to the A5's 'Anthony Hopkins', if, er, you get my drift?? However, the A6 was gorgeous with classical/jazz/acoustic, which is/are my priority. Ahh, even now, I can still 'hear' the A6...
emotion-1.gif

All very interesting - can't wait to try these two against each other next week as most of my listening is classical! Let us know what you decide to do...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i briefly heard the a5 and a6 a while back, and would echo 6th replicants thoughts. i thought the a5 was a decent, punchy sounding speaker, if a bit dark. i thought the a6 was much better, very fast but natural, but also found the treble maybe a touch forward, no nastiness to it though, just detailed and airy. good enough for me to compare to scm40s when i eventually go to floorstanders. they were both on exposure 3010 cdp and amp.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Listened to Miles Davis's Kind of Blue on the Argon 3L.

First impressions: lovely detail, texture, separation and a sense that the sound isn't coming out of the speakers - there's just a yummy expanse/'bubble' of sound. Notes hang nicely and there's a real sense of the drummer's sticks striking the cymbals and skins, the double-bass sounds plucked and brass and woodwinds blown.

BUT, the top-end treble is a tad bright and 'metallic'. Dealer says this is due to the titanium tweeter and, therefore, the Argon 3L needs much running in. He assures me that the brightness will calm-down significantly after 200(!!!!!) hours, thus far they've had only(!) 30 hours prior to my demo - lucky I've got 'em on a 30-day approval/full-refund deal, then.

Played some of Massive Attack's Heligoland and during Flat Of The Blade the 3L's bass response almost made me jump - it's truly subwoofer-esque - didn't realise that the recording has such deep bass frequencies. Erk ahlors! Never knew that a floorstander could go so deeeeeep.

Currently listening to some Bach organ works and, once again, the bass is floor-rumbling, but only when appropriate. Bass is tight and controlled, not obtrusive or dominant, its integration seems natural and balanced - if that's the correct description? - in much the same manner as a well-setup 5.1 system's sub'.

And boy do they look lovely, they really are furniture. Get the feeling that Charles Eames, Mies van der Rohe et al would approve.

Oh well, only another 168-ish hours to go before I'll know if the brightness will actually mellow...

T

the record spot

Well, hope you can get to 300 hours, which is just under two weeks continuous play, 24/7. They look nice, but don't be afraid to bite the bullet and send them back if the right boxes still aren't being ticked at the end of the period.

Tell you what though, the Dali Ikon 5s (which I heard in my demo) were a bit good from the Home Cinema Centre. They might be worth a glance or two if the current ones you're trying out don't end up staying.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd be tempted to try something else without a metal tweeter now rather than waiting. The Dali mentioned above can also be a bit bright if you're not careful.

Stcik to PMC/ProAc/Kudos etc etc

Which dealer did you get them from?

A

Anonymous

6th , if you can get hold of a track by billy joel called , streetlife serenader , give it a spin , it goes from soft piano , vocals , to a crescendo of drums etc , very dynamic ...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Mercifully, the 3L needs 200 hours running in, not 300. But it's still a freakin' age.
emotion-40.gif

And fear not, I will definitely return 'em if the brightness doesn't calm.

Have dem'od ProAc 140 and IMHO its sound is rather dry and digital - and a tad bright. Definitely plan to demo the PMC FB1i - suggested by Igglebert - the reviews indicate that it might have what I'm looking for, apart from the price...

The Amphions are supplied by AudioEmotion (AE) - very courteous, professional and efficient. All credit to The Record Spot for suggesting AE's ex-demo/pre-owned list. Ta, The RS.
emotion-21.gif

Will seek out Billy Joel's Streetlife Serenader...

As ever, thanks for responses and advice.
emotion-1.gif

SteveR750

You cold always consider a pair of Spendor S6es - pretty close to the A6, allegedly more soe than the S5e / A5 evolution. They are bi-wireable too if that really is important. I'm sure you can find a new pair discounted to around £1200, and about half that for a good condition used pair off the bay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts