Floorstanders - £1,500 max. Advice, please...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Please advise. Want to upgrade my speakers. Maximum budget: £1,500. Floorstanders only. Room dimensions: 16ft x 16ft, with a c. 11ft-high ceiling. Carpeted floorboards. Current kit: as below, but the Arcam A70 is soon to be replaced by an A38. Must be bi-wirable - I'm a recent bi-amp convert. [:)] Detest bright-, forward-, metallic-sounding treble. Very mixed music collection but yardstick/priority is classical music/accoustic jazz sounding natural, warm and alive, but no 'steel-strung' cellos, viols or lutes etc, clanking harpsichords or Miles Davis's horns inducing a Nurofen habit - if you get my drift. I prefer a balanced sound with deeep bass extension available if it's in the recording, be it Bach's organ works, Massive Attack, Burning Spear or Jacques Loussier's double-bass player. Thus far, my demo shortlist is as follows: Proac Studio 130 and 140s; Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T. (Have tried various MAs over the years but find their top-end treble too 'metallic' for my ears...) Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks [:D]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Other than the ProAcs, I'd recommend the Spendor A5's within your price range, but I think you might have more options if you could extend your budget to £2k. If that's possible, let me know and I'll recommend some other alternatives.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure that the Arcam mixed with Proac will make for tight bass. What about the PMC GB1i? Lovely speaker.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Other than the ProAcs, I'd recommend the Spendor A5's within your price range, but I think you might have more options if you could extend your budget to £2k. If that's possible, let me know and I'll recommend some other alternatives.

The OP wants biwirable, but maybe an audition will change that
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Whoops, me skimming again! Must stop doing 10 things at the same time
emotion-1.gif

Even from our extensive range, the A5's were all I could pick out. I would still recommend the OP extends his budget a little if possible.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Please advise. Want to upgrade my speakers. Maximum budget: £1,500. Floorstanders only. Room dimensions: 16ft x 16ft, with a c. 11ft-high ceiling. Carpeted floorboards. Current kit: as below, but the Arcam A70 is soon to be replaced by an A38. Must be bi-wirable - I'm a recent bi-amp convert.
emotion-1.gif
Detest bright-, forward-, metallic-sounding treble. Very mixed music collection but yardstick/priority is classical music/accoustic jazz sounding natural, warm and alive, but no 'steel-strung' chellos, viols or lutes etc, clanking harpsichords or Miles Davis's horns inducing a Nurofen habit - if you get my drift. I prefer a balanced sound with deeep bass extension available if it's in the recording, be it Bach's organ works, Massive Attack, Burning Spear or Jacques Loussier's double-bass player. Thus far, my demo shortlist is as follows: Proac Studio 130 and 140s; Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T. (Have tried various MAs over the years but find their top-end treble too 'metallic' for my ears...) Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
emotion-2.gif

As you are a 'bi-amp' convert, why not go active and save some dosh in the process.

Perhaps EB Acoustics new floorstanders in several lovely finishes, including gloss white, built in 200/W amplification, preamp and DAC, remote/c and dimmable front display for volume/selection. Tweeter/Woofer frequency attenuation Yours for ... lets say £1350 or another 200 quid with room equalization ... bargain.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:...What about the PMC GB1i? Lovely speaker.
Did consider PMC GB1i, but wary of its bass-light reputation, such as WHF?'s comment, for example: "They don't go quite as deep or attacking as some speakers."

A

Anonymous

max , advice please ?

ok , id start a thread cos i havnt a clue
emotion-1.gif

im sure i noticed a pair of spendor a6 for £1250 at a sevenoaks branch , in last months whfi mag i think , id see if they are still there ?

6th.replicant:igglebert:...What about the PMC GB1i? Lovely speaker. Did consider PMC GB1i, but wary of its bass-light reputation, such as WHF?'s comment, for example: "They don't go quite as deep or attacking as some speakers."

That's why an audition is recommended.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have pmc gb1i's in a similar size room. They are great speakers, and seem to go with all the amps I have had. For that kind of money, a home demo is essential though.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
6th.replicant:igglebert:...What about the PMC GB1i? Lovely speaker. Did consider PMC GB1i, but wary of its bass-light reputation, such as WHF?'s comment, for example: "They don't go quite as deep or attacking as some speakers."

Indeed, but don't want to waste dealer's time, nor mine, if it's a non-starter 'cos it's bass-light.

I really do want deep bass extension. Considering the latter, and my Arcams, do you think GB1i is worth a punt, then?

Ta
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

As you are a 'bi-amp' convert, why not go active and save some dosh in the process.

Perhaps EB Acoustics new floorstanders in several lovely finishes, including gloss white, built in 200/W amplification, preamp and DAC, remote/c and dimmable front display for volume/selection. Tweeter/Woofer frequency attenuation Yours for ... lets say £1350 or another 200 quid with room equalization ... bargain.

Did I mention they are tapered towards the top in pyramid fashion and can be ordered with an optional clear acrylic plint with lovely big spikes. An extra ton though.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:drummerman:

Did I mention they are tapered towards the top in pyramid fashion and can be ordered with an optional clear acrylic plint with lovely big spikes. An extra ton though.

I'm confused?????

What's the advantage in having 'active' speakers??

Got a link or full product name so I can Google for info?

Ta
emotion-1.gif

6th.replicant:plastic penguin:

Indeed, but don't want to waste dealer's time, nor mine, if it's a non-starter 'cos it's bass-light. I really do want deep bass extension. Considering the latter, and my Arcams, do you think GB1i is worth a punt, then? Ta
emotion-1.gif

You certainly wouldn't be wasting their time. If you're planning on spending that sort of dough, you really need to hear at least 3 different makes. This hi-fi lark is dangerous if you get it wrong....
emotion-7.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:drummerman:drummerman:

I'm confused????? What's the advantage in having 'active' speakers?? Got a link or full product name so I can Google for info? Ta
emotion-1.gif

Not yet but I'm on the ball
emotion-2.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:...This hi-fi lark is dangerous if you get it wrong....
emotion-7.gif

Very true.

Once bought a muiti-award-winning, 5-star etc Cambridge Azure cdp sans demo - got it home and it sounded 'orrible!
emotion-3.gif

Mercifully, it also had a fault - drawer kept flying open while playing - so was able to obtain refund pronto. Phew.

Lesson learnt, though.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, at least try the Spendor A5 if a decent single amp is really an option.

Try the GB1i to see what you think. Then try the FB1i, and when you stop smiling work out how to extend the budget. For those that like their bass, the FB1i is fabulous. So entertaining!

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
6th.replicant:plastic penguin:

Indeed, but don't want to waste dealer's time, nor mine, if it's a non-starter 'cos it's bass-light.

I really do want deep bass extension. Considering the latter, and my Arcams, do you think GB1i is worth a punt, then?

Ta
emotion-1.gif

It my room, they are certainly not shy in the bass department. When i switched amps from k2 to i30, there is even more bass.

Defo worth a punt, what have you got to lose?

Take your time, and rule everything out, till you have the near perfect speaker.

A

Anonymous

Why not try and see if you could get a pair of Gershman Avant Garde speakers very good bass and excellent soundstage. They need a bit of power and good placement away from walls but are an excellent speaker from Canada. Try second hand market you wont be disapointed.

T

the record spot

I hear very good things of the Yamaha Soavo 1.1 floorstanders. Nearer £2k though but you might find some on ex-dem if they appealed.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Found a dealer, Billy Vee, that stocks PMC GB1i & FB1i; Spendor A5; ProAc 130 & 140...

Also, anyone know a good source(s) for crispy ex-demo kit? (Already aware of BADA's Marketplace.)

BTW, thanks for all suggestions/responses.
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

See the Mountain Snow ex-dem list (list of independent dealers - the equivalent to BADA Marketplace).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts