floorstander vs Bookshelf speaker with subwoofer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
floorstander vs Bookshelf speaker with subwoofer

i havea budget of £400 which can strech to maximum £500 if the speaker is really good

i had wharfedale evo 2 connected to Nad c312 - excellent sounstage, natural sound but no bass

B&W 603 s2 connected to Arcam avr 250 - good punchy though not that deep bass but almost no soundstage and stereo imaging

I want a speaker with deep punchy bass, sweet top end and detailed mid range with superb stereo imaging and vocals clarity

please suggest - i can buy second hand or old models or clearance as well

Which will be better Bookshelf with subwoofer like wharfedale diamond 9.1with sw150 sub or Dynaudio 2/6 on its own ( as i will not be left with money for sub after buying Dynaudio )

Or a Floorstander like Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 Vs Radiance 2 Vs radiance 3 ?

Except these mentiioned please feel free to suggest about any other speakers- i am in hurry to buy these as i have sold mine already

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi MGuru

That is a difficult question, which makes it hard to give a definitive answer.

It can come down to individual taste, room acoustics/size, sub integration etc

If you prefer the sound of the Dynaudio to the Wharefdale, then adding a sub to the latter, is unlikely to be the answer.

I think the Dynaudio is a sensible first choice for auditioning...let it set the standard, and see if it can be bettered.

Nobody here can tell you what you will prefer, and to be fair they generally don't. Take the list of suggestions and get demoing.

Good Luck

Cno

A

Anonymous

I've got the same doubt.

My current loudspeakers are Monitor Audio Studio 6 (predessor of MA Gold Reference 10 and GS10) which I love. The only one real drawback I notice is: bass doesn't go deep as much as I need and is lean although nice control and timing.

My dilema is getting a subwoofer or replacing my MAs by a pair of sub 1000 pounds floorstanders.

The Luxman L-505u I own has pre-out function but I've never tried active subwoofers in a stereo setup before. Is there a sub 500 pounds subwoofer which does a good job playing music?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
My experience with small speaker + Sub vs large speaker:

Small speakers + sub can produce excellent results, and very deep bass around and below 20hz(with a good sub).

Larger speakers will not reach as low as a sub can, unless you buy very large expensive speakers.

But where i feel a larger speaker always wins is upper bass and midrange weight. These frequencies fall above a subs output, and a small driver/enclosure cannot produce the weight of a larger speaker in this area.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
I've got the same doubt.

My current loudspeakers are Monitor Audio Studio 6 (predessor of MA Gold Reference 10 and GS10) which I love. The only one real drawback I notice is: bass doesn't go deep as much as I need and is lean although nice control and timing.

My dilema is getting a subwoofer or replacing my MAs by a pair of sub 1000 pounds floorstanders.

The Luxman L-505u I own has pre-out function but I've never tried active subwoofers in a stereo setup before. Is there a sub 500 pounds subwoofer which does a good job playing music?

Hi AM

Depends how fussy you are, and whether you need build in EQ.

I'm not sure that you will get a floorstander at that money (new), that will improve on what you've got...especially as you love them.

If I was spending that money on a sub (new), it would be from BK. If it's only for 2 channel, you might find the Gemini enough.....I'm sure they would advise.

Ps. Love the amp

Cno

A

Anonymous

very very difficult, both have + /-

I have the AVI neutron 5 2.1 set in my office when iam at work. This set is stunning, iam now thinking of buying the AVI ADM + subwoofer for my living room at home but not sure.

The AVI sub is very tight, natural and punchy.

Honestly I don't know about other subs and music, I had a B&W subwoofer (600 serie) but only used it for movies.

I think you should home demo, some rooms prefer subwoofers other rooms floorstander are ok.

A

Anonymous

Hi CNO! How r u doing?

About your question, I'm quite fussy. I prefer shortage of bass rather than boomy loudspeakers. I used to have a pair of 600 pounds Acoustic Energy AE120SE loudspeakers but I didn't like them at all. I think their drivers are not well integrated (they produce an uneven, fatiguing and unatural tonality). The MA Studio 6s sound more natural and even.

Unfortunately I'm on budget and not able to afford a pair of real high-end loudspeakers.

I found a pair of Tannoy Definition D300 for 500 pounds on e-bay recently but I'm not sure it'll be a real upgrade. I asked information about them on many forums but I couldn't find anyone who owns or owned them previously.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
Hi CNO! How r u doing?

About your question, I'm quite fussy. I prefer shortage of bass rather than boomy loudspeakers. I used to have a pair of 600 pounds Acoustic Energy AE120SE loudspeakers but I didn't like them at all. I think their drivers are not well integrated (they produce an uneven, fatiguing and unatural tonality). The MA Studio 6s sound more natural and even.

Unfortunately I'm on budget and not able to afford a pair of real high-end loudspeakers.

I found a pair of Tannoy Definition D300 for 500 pounds on e-bay recently but I'm not sure it'll be a real upgrade. I asked information about them on many forums but I couldn't find anyone who owns or owned them previously.

AM

I'm grumpy (Nb.that's totaly normal), thx for asking.

See if you can find a 2nd hand Velodyne SPL 800R - fast powerful little sub with EQ.
Failing that, go higher up the BK range....XLS200/400.

If set up subtley, I agree with Matt. I use my sub on some recordings and not on others. Often I use it like an old fashioned "loudness button" when listening at low volumes.

IMO To get the best out of a sub it needs an after-market mains cable and proper isolation.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for replying . I went out for dinner and for meeting some mates. Came back and saw replies :)

I will try to be more clear

I had B&W 603 s2 , 601 and cc6 s2 till a week back, so now i have no i need more punchy and depp bass then that as well lot lot better streo imaging, it kind of lacked completely in that respect plus sweeter warmer top end.

Now i am back to the classic issue of either a better floorstander but it can not be heavier then 19 kgs par speaker or a standmounters plus Sub

Has anyone heard wharfedale diamond 9.1 with wahrfedale Sw150 sub- both award winners?

How will you compare the sound with B&W 603 s2?

Also Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 , 2 and Aelite 3?

How about Dynaudio DM 2/6 are these powerful enough that they alone comptete with floorstanders like 603 or better?

I will try to hear as many of these tomorrow but since they are available in different shops and will be connected to different amplifiers o i dont think i can compare then fairly? also i have to buy them as soon as possible preferrably by this weekend

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Hi MGuru That is a difficult question, which makes it hard to give a definitive answer. It can come down to individual taste, room acoustics/size, sub integration etc If you prefer the sound of the Dynaudio to the Wharefdale, then adding a sub to the latter, is unlikely to be the answer. I think the Dynaudio is a sensible first choice for auditioning...let it set the standard, and see if it can be bettered. Nobody here can tell you what you will prefer, and to be fair they generally don't. Take the list of suggestions and get demoing. Good Luck Cno

problem is i have not heard Dynaudio and after chepast i can find these is £400 ex demo so i will hardly be left with money for SUB.

A

Anonymous

MattSPL said:
My experience with small speaker + Sub vs large speaker:

Small speakers + sub can produce excellent results, and very deep bass around and below 20hz(with a good sub).

Larger speakers will not reach as low as a sub can, unless you buy very large expensive speakers.

But where i feel a larger speaker always wins is upper bass and midrange weight. These frequencies fall above a subs output, and a small driver/enclosure cannot produce the weight of a larger speaker in this area.

Thanks Matt - its very helpful .So it means that the I have to invest in Bigger size standmounter like M&A BR2 or Dynaudio DM 2/6? Will it help? I can either have a standmounter with sub or a floorstander, can not have floorstander with sub. Problem is after paying £150 for sub i will be left with roughly £300 for Standmounters.

which sub and standmounter will fit the purpose? or which floorstander. I have only used B&W 603 s2 till now and i was not happy with stereo imaging, virtually non existent. is it a common issue in all under £800 floorstanders?

A

Anonymous

GeorgeK said:
very very difficult, both have + /-

I have the AVI neutron 5 2.1 set in my office when iam at work. This set is stunning, iam now thinking of buying the AVI ADM + subwoofer for my living room at home but not sure.

The AVI sub is very tight, natural and punchy.

Honestly I don't know about other subs and music, I had a B&W subwoofer (600 serie) but only used it for movies.

I think you should home demo, some rooms prefer subwoofers other rooms floorstander are ok.

thanks for the suggestion - problem is i have to keep these speakers in my home town and i do not have luxory of demoing there as well as recreating the envoirment as my room there is concrete floor and walls but lots of wooden furniture and thick curtains , here in my house its even more bright with all steel furniture with huge glass windows and concrete walls and floors.

have you heard wharfedale sw150 sub ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maverickguru said:
CnoEvil said:
Hi MGuru That is a difficult question, which makes it hard to give a definitive answer. It can come down to individual taste, room acoustics/size, sub integration etc If you prefer the sound of the Dynaudio to the Wharefdale, then adding a sub to the latter, is unlikely to be the answer. I think the Dynaudio is a sensible first choice for auditioning...let it set the standard, and see if it can be bettered. Nobody here can tell you what you will prefer, and to be fair they generally don't. Take the list of suggestions and get demoing. Good Luck Cno

problem is i have not heard Dynaudio and after chepast i can find these is £400 ex demo so i will hardly be left with money for SUB.

The point I was clumsily trying to make, was that you might prefer the Dynaudio on it's own, than the Wharfedales with the sub.

Cheers

Cno

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the best thing to do is demo a few different speakers. But a home demo is the only real way to be certain your making the right choice.

Stereo imaging will vary from speaker to speaker, but is also heavily dependant on correct setup in-room.

Distance from speaker to side and rear walls.

How far apart the speakers are, and their distance from the listening position.

And also to make sure the listening seat isn't on the back wall, but in free space in the room, and also toe in of the speakers and proper solid isolation of the speakers/stands.

Another thing to consider is second hand loudspeakers.
You could get some very serious Kef reference loudspeakers second hand for the money you are looking at spending. And they would wipe the floor with anything new in that price range.
They will do both bass and imaging
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers
Matt

A

Anonymous

was in exactly the same situation for years, tinkered with diff speakers.

best gorgeous bass ever heard from speakers was mission 753 freedom-right back against the wall--truely epic. except there old so less soundstage and definition.

looking for the same i went from b&w 601 to 602 s3 to gr10, to gr20 then gr60--bass, clarity, vocals and soundstage on gr60 are awesome as long as right speaker cables-they like non silver, ie.wireworld oasis, less so chord odyssy and less so epic. £600 on ebay.

i do like my monitor audio rsw12 sub-ebay 250 2nd, it loved my old nad c370 and pm6003 but less so my new audiolab cdq, but Im working on that thanks to this forum.ebay is always kneedeep in 2nd subs

go for the right floorstander, you can get your bass and your soundstage and great vocals, be patient, watch ebay for few weeks.

good luck and happy listening

A

Anonymous

MattSPL said:
I think the best thing to do is demo a few different speakers. But a home demo is the only real way to be certain your making the right choice.

Stereo imaging will vary from speaker to speaker, but is also heavily dependant on correct setup in-room.

Distance from speaker to side and rear walls.

How far apart the speakers are, and their distance from the listening position.

And also to make sure the listening seat isn't on the back wall, but in free space in the room, and also toe in of the speakers and proper solid isolation of the speakers/stands.

Another thing to consider is second hand loudspeakers.
You could get some very serious Kef reference loudspeakers second hand for the money you are looking at spending. And they would wipe the floor with anything new in that price range.
They will do both bass and imaging
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for insightful reply. I lookedat these KEF at ebay, the only issue is weight and size. I can not have each speaker weighing more then 23kgs and 158 cm for combined length depth height including the box and packaging . as i have to transport these via flight .

I auditioned B&W 684, CM1 and Wharfedale 9.1 today, yes its funnt to compare 9.1 costing £99 at superfi with £799 CM1!

BUT to my suprise Wharfedale are amazing value for money and not that far behind if you cosnider 8 times price difference!

I didnot like 684, no stereo imaging as well as sounded clogged compared to even Wharfedale's!

I got the satisfaction of excellent soundstage and imaging in CM1.

I have heard lots of good things about old B&W CDM 1NT and 602 S3 ! have you auditioned any of these.

Iam thinking more of on the line of getting a compact floorstander for bass and imaging- which seems hard to find or going for Standmounter with sub.

Problem is i can not audition CDM 1NT or 602 s3, how will these compare with each other?

if i pair CDm 1NT with Wharedale SW150 sub- quite cheap at superfi for £150 ! how is the combination. As i heard these CDM 1nt are t ad bass light while 602 s3 have it in plenty as seemless integration of Bass is important. Also if anyone knows if good sub to pair with CDM 1nt secondhand etc for under £150 preferrably , should be really fats and punchy for music .

A

Anonymous

Pedej0e said:
was in exactly the same situation for years, tinkered with diff speakers.

best gorgeous bass ever heard from speakers was mission 753 freedom-right back against the wall--truely epic. except there old so less soundstage and definition.

looking for the same i went from b&w 601 to 602 s3 to gr10, to gr20 then gr60--bass, clarity, vocals and soundstage on gr60 are awesome as long as right speaker cables-they like non silver, ie.wireworld oasis, less so chord odyssy and less so epic. £600 on ebay.

i do like my monitor audio rsw12 sub-ebay 250 2nd, it loved my old nad c370 and pm6003 but less so my new audiolab cdq, but Im working on that thanks to this forum.ebay is always kneedeep in 2nd subs

go for the right floorstander, you can get your bass and your soundstage and great vocals, be patient, watch ebay for few weeks.

Pedej0e - thhansk for the reply, really helpful :) . I had 603 s2 and no stereo imaging atleast with arcam avr 250. Problems is i do not have time , jsut three days or so to buy and have weight and size limitation as mentioned in my previous post.

I like warm sound and have beentold not to go for accoustic energy or monitor audio, is it true?

have you or any knows how is CDM 1nt for my needs or 602 s3?

A

Anonymous

when i had mon aud 8i silver and rs8 i agree bass was crap but detail and clarity fab. never heard CDM1nt but i remember reviews on them and they were bass light-i think. i thought 602 s3 were the bees knees but when i went up to gr 20 then gr60 they got proper shown up for detail and quality. but

imo its all about the money--always has been. its not what you want or know, its what you can afford coz there are others that know what you need to know-i thank heaven for this forum.

and what about small quality speakers and small sub.

EB acoustics EB2 or mon aud silver rx1-plenty bass and warmth and quality.

or dynaudio dm 6/2-really brill speakers that give good bass, warmth and detail-you could forgo sub. if my listening room wasnt so big they were my joint top favorite with EB EB1, before i settled on gr60-which was for more soundstage, authority and class-maybe too much class.

A

Anonymous

Hard to say there are some amazingly voiced floorstanders and there are some outstanding standmount speakers around. Personally I would say subwoofer / standmount every time as everyones rooms are different for a start and with a sub it can be intergraded into the system more precisely and practically than moving floorstanders around to suit. Plus standmounts are usual cheaper than buying the equivalent in a floorstander, that if they do a floor stander equpvent for a start. Some high end monitors are only available in standmout. A serious high quality sub will have more controlled and handle bass better. Its active for a start its like bi amping your system, its the way to go I recon. When a sub is set up right you don’t even know its on the sound is full and it sounds like its coming from the little speakers anyway but when you switch it off you realize how much of the full picture you was missing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts