Floor versus standmounters

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi there

I just heard some Tannoy Revolution DC6T's which sounded pretty good for £800, which I plan on connecting to a Onkyo 609 for movies and music (will add centre speaker etc at some point but not right away). My question is this:

Do floorstanders offer a significant sound improvement over similarly priced standmounters, eg the DALI Mentor Menuet or the MA Gold GX50 that obviously will take up less space.

I'm not sure that 'improvement' is so much the word, as 'difference'.

All other things being equal, which they seldom are in hi-fi, the floor stander will extend deeper into the bass region, benefitting from the larger cabinet. You save the cost of necessary and sometimes pricey speaker stands. They may appear to your eyes as more elegant, and less likely to topple onto children.

The downside is typically they need more space to breathe, so may work less well if close to rear or side wall, may seem less detailed or more coloured (because there is more 'box' to vibrate), and not so precise in imaging. They may seem more overpowering in a small room, either through their sheer size, or because the bass output is too much.

These are generalisations, but hopefully you will see there are pros and cons.

Regret cannot comment on the exact models you list. But if you can try the Tannoys at home, do so. If you are looking towards 5.1 or more, then bear in mind what you might need to match for your rears/sides etc. Ranges with a family sound typically work best.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:

All other things being equal, which they seldom are in hi-fi, the floor stander will extend deeper into the bass region, benefitting from the larger cabinet. You save the cost of necessary and sometimes pricey speaker stands. They may appear to your eyes as more elegant, and less likely to topple onto children.

The downside is typically they need more space to breathe, so may work less well if close to rear or side wall, may seem less detailed or more coloured (because there is more 'box' to vibrate), and not so precise in imaging. They may seem more overpowering in a small room, either through their sheer size, or because the bass output is too much.

Regret cannot comment on the exact models you list. But if you can try the Tannoys at home, do so. If you are looking towards 5.1 or more, then bear in mind what you might need to match for your rears/sides etc. Ranges with a family sound typically work best.

many thanks, it isnt a large room and the neighbours already complained when I was testing my old B&W 601's so I think i will stick to the standmounters!

In fact I may just keep the 601's and add a smaller 5.1 package like the new Q7000, would that work?

Muzza said:
nopiano said:

many thanks, it isnt a large room and the neighbours already complained when I was testing my old B&W 601's so I think i will stick to the standmounters!

In fact I may just keep the 601's and add a smaller 5.1 package like the new Q7000, would that work?

If you have grumpy neighbours then you're probably better off with floorstanders: Generally speaking, floorstanders are more proficient at low volumes. That said, floorstanders, especially below £600, aren't as neutral as price equivilent standmounters.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Muzza said:
nopiano said:

If you have grumpy neighbours then you're probably better off with floorstanders: Generally speaking, floorstanders are more proficient at low volumes. That said, floorstanders, especially below £600, aren't as neutral as price equivilent standmounters.

Many thanks , can you recommend any that are smallish up to about £800? Also is it easy to integrate them into a package like the KEF 3005 or QA Q7000?

Muzza said:
plastic penguin said:
Muzza said:
nopiano said:

Many thanks , can you recommend any that are smallish up to about £800? Also is it easy to integrate them into a package like the KEF 3005 or QA Q7000?

If you like B&W then the 684 may be the ideal answer. Or if you want all Kef I'd look at IQ7SE. Little old but still very good in a surround sound package.

matthewpiano

I'm a fan of standmounts with 6.5" bass drivers or above as they often combine the speed and agility you expect from a standmount model with the ability to sound convincing at lower volume levels that you get from a lot of floorstanders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts