Floor Standing Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi, was just wondering what people thought of these floor standing speakers i made for a school project. they have a range of b+w speakers from different series. i have created these from the design to the finished product.

thanks nick

_MG_8902.jpg

A

Anonymous

Good grief. What do they sound like? Has any hifi fanatic commented? Did you make the crossovers yourself? How did you tune them?

A

Anonymous

good grief indeed. they look interesting. do they sound any good? how did you get the materials?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just out of interest, was the school project to build these speakers physically, or just paste a bunch of images together in photoshop?

If you really did build them, I apologise and I don't mean to sound harsh or cynical at all - it's just designing them in photoshop would make a great school project for a graphic artist / designer. And if you could fool audiophiles into thinking they were real - you'd be well on your way!!

Being a good friend of a graphic designer, I've seen what he can do in photoshop and how real it can look and it scares me!!

A

Anonymous

Well they certainly look interesting. I have a few questions..

What material are they made from? and what is that finish, some sort of gloss veneer?

What is the reasoning behind the curved back, is it all part of the cavity? trying to deflect soundwaves coming backwards downwards?

Is there anything more on the inside? bracing, damping? cotton wool?;)

The drivers, in the picture, appear to be set out from the front baffle. What is the reasoning for this? or is it a trick of the veneer and they are actually flush with it?

How much do they weigh? and have you tested their frequency response curves and impedance curves?

A

Anonymous

replying.....

hi they are made from fiberglass just like the b+w nautilas with two pack paint. as part of the school project was to create something unique and so i decided to create this.they have a kef crossover because i got the parts from my local hi fi shop as it was only for a school project. As i have only just finished creating it. i havent really tested it but they do sound great. and they are real and and not done on photoshop, i wish i had the skills to do it on photoshop.i have had interest from bowers and wilkins and have had the chance to go to there factory which is amazing. here are some more pictures of some more i had made. they are not very good but you can see they are real i have made about four now.
DSC00156.jpg
DSC00158.jpg

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bloody fantastic if you ask me

Whether they sound good or not compared to professionally made speakers i doubt it but for a school project, A* from me!

If B&W have invited you to their factory and shown interest then you know you've made a very good impression!

A

Anonymous

thank you

i did get a A* and they examnier said its a level standard, ye the nautalias is something they had them lying a round when i went. but there cinema room with there £250,00 system is amazing they gave us a preview and you wouldn't believe it.

A

Anonymous

fiberglass is made of thin glassfibres and epoxy resin to made a strong shell, this makes a good sheel for a speakers, as the b+w nautilus. its about 1cm thick and dosent way that much as i can pick them up easily.

A

Anonymous

i was given random drivers and crosssovers from the shop that they had lying around and then bowers them selves sorted me out with drivers to help me mfinish other ones off.

A

Anonymous

Your fabrication skill is phenominal.
Although I wonder about the sonic properties of your enclosure. They defy a lot of the normal thinking. Are they simply aesthetic or do you have some scientific rationale/testing to justify the prettiness??

A

Anonymous

Wow! I couldn't even master the dove joint or whatever it was called in D.T!

A

Anonymous

I havent really tested them yet but i made it round the design that propbaly why b+w didnt want it because it didnt get the besrt from there speakers. i didnt use dove joints to mke the mould as we didnt have the tools to do it. and drummer man if you could make such a thing on photoshop them *** round and show me cos i would like to now

A

Anonymous

if i was to sell a pair of these speakers it would cost me around 400 maybe more

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts