Floor Standing speakers for Quad Vena

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I'd like to know if anyone out there can offer any advice/recommendations for some floor standing speakers for my Quad Vena. My room is 6.5 x 4.5 m and any new speakers would be placed on the longer wall.

My current speakers are B&W 685s2. I like the speakers but I feel I'm missing a wider sound stage and better bass at low volume levels. In a previous post I asked about the Q Acoustics Concept 40 and was told that this would probably be a sideways move.

Given that the Vena is rated at 45 WPC, and that I'd like a good move up in speaker quality and sound, can anyone suggest any floor standers that meet my needs? My budget would be around 1500 to 1700 Euros.

I'd like speakers paired with my Vena that result in a nice warm/natural sound.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Bromiley said:
Hi 

I'd like to know if anyone out there can offer any advice/recommendations for some floor standing speakers for my Quad Vena. My room is 6.5 x 4.5 m and any new speakers would be placed on the longer wall. 

My current speakers are B&W 685s2. I like the speakers but I feel I'm missing a wider sound stage and better bass at low volume levels. In a previous post I asked about the Q Acoustics Concept 40 and was told that this would probably be a sideways move. 

Given that the Vena is rated at 45 WPC, and that I'd like a good move up in speaker quality and sound, can anyone suggest any floor standers that meet my needs? My budget would be around 1500 to 1700 Euros.

I'd like speakers paired with my Vena that result in a nice warm/natural sound.

the dynaudio emit m30.great natural sound with refined top end.you could listen to these for hours.not sure about lower volume.floorstanders do need a little power to make them shine.and I think the concept's are alot better the the b&w

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The left field suggestion would be Audio Note...but they're not always easy to find.

Brands that you might consider:

Kef R Series (possibly R500)

Spendor

Proac

Sonus Faber Venere.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What you need to is make the most of the power your Quad has, so I'd avoid speakers that are low sensitivity and low impedance that would make hard demands on the Vena.

I would look at the PMC Twenty5 series. I don't know how much the Twenty5.23s would be in your country, but they're high quality speakers without the high quality demands on the amplifier. I drove them pretty hard with a Cyrus One amp, so a Quad arena should be fine for normal levels, and their transmission line bass loading should help for lower volumes.

If they're a bit much, have a look at ProAcs that Cno mentioned which aren't too bad in that respect.

Quad's own speakers are both well reviewed and sensitive. This is one case where you might not need to look far and wide. The S4 are floorstanders with a ribbon tweeter and can be bought for around £1200, which is presumably within the euro1500 budget. The larger S5 is £1500 and 90dB sensitivity.

My question would be are you looking for new speakers you can actually audition or are you prepared to go second-hand. Whatever, you would be best the try and rearrange the speakers along the shorter wall if you can possibly do this.

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
The left field suggestion would be Audio Note...but they're not always easy to find.

Spendor 

Proac

Sonus Faber Venere.

This, minus the Proac (imo). I'd also stay away from PMC twenty or 5, they are very sharp sounding (again imo). I also think the Concept 40 is a good suggestion, and I would add (if you can find a pair) Sonus Faber Toy Tower. Or, if they fits budget, Focal Aria 926.

rainsoothe said:
CnoEvil said:

Spendor

Proac

Sonus Faber Venere.

This, minus the Proac (imo). I'd also stay away from PMC twenty or 5, they are very sharp sounding (again imo). I also think the Concept 40 is a good suggestion, and I would add (if you can find a pair) Sonus Faber Toy Tower. Or, if they fits budget, Focal Aria 926.

I am sure a lot of speakers suggest will be out of budget but as we don't know what you will be paying for them where you live then I would suggest you try to audition Quadral Chromium Style 6 for starters and for a really efficient pair I can recommend Icon Audio MFV3 although these will prove extremely difficult to audition I would imagine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts