Floor standing speakers for Onkyo NR609 - mainly TV & movies, occasional music

Laserblues2

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Morning,

I'm looking to buy some floor standing speakers - or excellent book shelf speakers. We live in a flat and the speakers will be used through the Onkyo amp and we'll be watching from a Samsung 46' 7 series TV. I was considering some Focal 816w's but not sure if its worth spending the extra for them. I don't really have a fixed budget but guess I'd like to spend under £1k.

I was tempted by a set of Linn Keilidh floor standing speakers and getting them second hand. Not sure how good these would be for tv shows and movies? I spoke to a shop earlier who said the B&W 836's would be perfect? A different shop said the CM8's are definitely worth the extra? Everything we watch is HD...

I live in HK and finding shops with speakers to demonstrate is proving tough at present. So thought I'd ask online

What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Nick

PS. I did also post regarding some Danish Studio Power speakers but I don't know the history and can't find much online. They are apparently a very good make & speaker, and going for around £400 from a high end hifi shop. They couldn't let me hear them, but said I can arrange an appointment to hear them sometime.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
hi there,

Dont think you can go far wrong with Q acoustics 2050i, plus theyre under budget so you can spend £500 on new films :). My mate has CM8's and i dont like them, actually hes going off them. He is running them in a surround setup but no sub and there bass is weak, the CM9's are better in this department but go way over your budget. I take it you mean B&W 683's ? if that is the case then yes, these are very good speakers for the price but i would still go for the Q Acoustics personally but that is just me, Have a listen yourself.

Craig

Laserblues2

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Craig, I saw they had won the awards in the under £800 floor standing speaker category. I'm trying to find a store to demo them, or even buy them from!! Craig, would you consider second hand to get other speakers? We could wait a bit longer and spend more - but being in a flat I'm not sure if it's worthwhile?

we're currently running a Bose acoustimas system with two double cubes and a sub, so perhaps the CM8’s would be ok?

TRENDING THREADS