First Turntable decisions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just started properly setting up my Hifi, at the moment I have a Marantz PM6004 and Monitor Audio BX2's which I'm very happy with. Now comes the time to find a turntable.

Rega/Project are always recomended but it seems hard to choose between their different ranges of budget turntables as they're all so praised there's little critical points on them.

I have the option of a:

Rega RP1/Ortofon OM5e for £229

Project Debut SE/Ortofon MO10 for £250

Project Debut Carbon/Ortofon 2M Red for £300

or a Rega P3-24/No Cart for £250

How easy would a cartridge be to fit myself on the Rega P3-24 as it seems to be most expensive of the lot generally (doesn't mean best obviously but I don't know what else to go ond), and could I get a cartridge for £50 to rival the Debut Carbon/Ortofon 2M package?

Thanks for any help, I'm new to this whole world of Hifi equipment and it's getting a bit confusing.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Each step up provides a slightly better arm/cartridge. A P3 is a good choice, but if you are then struggling for cash you could do a lot worse than fit a AT95e cartridge to it for a tad over £20, or maybe a Rega Bias for around £60. Cartridges are easy enough to fit, just be gentle when attching the 4 colour coded wires and mind out for the stylus. You can normally find a alignment grid/protractor online to download for free (some made specifically for Rega TT's) to help you align a cartridge before final tightening of the screws.

One thing you should consider first though is where you will put your TT. All the models you list are solid designs rather than having a suspended sub-chassis to asorb vibrations, foot fall and the like (wooden suspended floors are the worst here, but you will also need to be aware of vibrations from your speakers depending on positioning). Therefore a solid wall shelf isolated from the floor is ideal for all the TTs listed, or failing that a decent isolating platform.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice.

AT95e cartridge for just over £20, where are you getting that? They're all like £30+ online (still not too bad though). Just looked up fitting cartridges and I was instantly confused as hell but if the Rega P3 and AT95e is decent then it could be worth doing for now and allow for cartridge upgradability when I have more money. Are there any advantages the other decks have over the P3 or reasons to prefer Project to Rega? I found it odd looking at turntables as there aren't really any features to look for, just reviews on how it sounds (which are so subjective) and price points.

I assume suspended sub-chassis models are more expensive, the TT is just going to be on a chest of drawers to start with as I don't have that much space so I suppose footfall could be a problem, especially on my bad wooden flooring.

I've constantly just been recommended the Rega/Project so that's where I started looking, but if there's anything suspended sub-chassis based in the same price range I'd be happy to look into that. The main problem is that it really has to come from Amazon as I've amassed £200 in Amazon vouchers, so the model needs to be available through the site (clearly not ideal but it's better than having no money for a turntable).

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well new suspended decks are all rather high-end expensive these days. Personally I would consider s/h - something like a Dual 505 or a Pioneer PL12 at the lower end, or a Thorens at mid-price, would all be good.

However, I take your point about amazon vouchers and the need to get one of the new models listed, and that being the case while some isolation platforms are very expensive you can make a very good diy one for not much money at all. First, and assuming you are UK based, if you search ebay for a 'large rubber wood pastry board' you should find one for around £15 that is very nicely finished and is the perfect size for a TT. Also, not only is rubber wood very eco-friendly and sustainable, it is a good absorber of vibrations. Next, decide whether you want hardwood cone feet or absorbing rubber ones - both have their pros and cons - have an ebay serach and get a set of 3 (again very cheaply), glue them on and you have a isolating base for £20 equal to one that could cost 3 or 4 times as much. Great for when you have to place the deck on a sideboard, but equally good to add to a proper hifi support too.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The P3 is a great place to start, and you will then have lots of ways to improve it.

Next step for me would be a separate power unit, (a TT PSU) which, as well as improving performance, will then allow you to change speed without having to remove the platter.

You can then upgrade cartridge, mats, belts etc if/as/when you feel the urge.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
Well new suspended decks are all rather high-end expensive these days. Personally I would consider s/h - something like a Dual 505 or a Pioneer PL12 at the lower end, or a Thorens at mid-price, would all be good.

The Dual CS505-4 is far from being a second-hand option. They are still made (in the same place in the Black Forest that they always came from). You won't find them on sale in the UK. (Apart from much more expensive Thorens re-badged versions that Dual make.)

All you need to do is search on www.google.de for Dual CS505-4 and you will find loads of German dealers selling brand-new ones for around €500 (ish).

I used the original CS505 and the CS505-3 in the past and they were superb turntables.

They now come fitted with the Ortofon OM10 as standard and are a doddle to set up. I'd be very tempted to consider one if starting out with vinyl again.

jovend

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me Happysnail for borrowing your thread a bit. But i am in a same situation as you now, purchasing my first TT.

I currently reside in Singapore but plan to puchase my TT from either Analogue Seduction or Lintone Audio due to the good price offered. Has anyone

dealt with them before? Are they reliable and well regarded locally ?

Regards.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jovend said:
Excuse me Happysnail for borrowing your thread a bit. But i am in a same situation as you now, purchasing my first TT.

I currently reside in Singapore but plan to puchase my TT from either Analogue Seduction or Lintone Audio due to the good price offered. Has anyone dealt with them before? Are they reliable and well regarded locally ?

Regards.

I have dealt with Analogue Seduction, and found Gary a gentleman to deal with.

jovend

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
May thanks Cno. I've just received from Gary the final costing, very reasonable i might say. Should i go with a Elys2 or do i have any other option within the same price range ?

Greatly appreciate the help. Quite a newbie on analog setup.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jovend said:
May thanks Cno. I've just received from Gary the final costing, very reasonable i might say. Should i go with a Elys2 or do i have any other option within the same price range ?

Greatly appreciate the help. Quite a newbie on analog setup.

I've been out of TT's for 20 years, so am not the best person to advise...sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts