First Setup - Opinions!

slickvik

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi, very excited to join the WhatHifi community! :)

As a student and a budding vinyl enthusiast i have decided to build up my first Hi-Fi setup.

Given my budget and requirements (Mostly vinyl litsening, headphones and stereo speakers), this is my set-up i have short listed:

Speakers - Q concepts 3020

Amp/Dac/Headphone amp - Onkyo 9010

Headphones - Shure 1540/1840

The genres of music i listen to is a wide rangs, From jazz-house-techno-reggae-blues-live concerts both vinyl and digital.

Any thoughts on my current setup? i would love some feedback given i am new to this, and shortlisted most based on WhatHifi reviews and other online reviews.

Please help me out and advice me on my first small (but big) step into the HiFi world!

Thank you!

lordsquirrel

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
not sure where you are based but note that the UK/European version of the 9010 doesn't have a DAC (though the US one does I think). If you need a DAC you could look at the yamaha AS501 which can be had for about 200 (richer sounds) , or else spend a bit more on onkyo 9050, Marantz pm6005 etc.

Chaser

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
slickvik said:
Hi, very excited to join the WhatHifi community! :)

As a student and a budding vinyl enthusiast i have decided to build up my first Hi-Fi setup.

Given my budget and requirements (Mostly vinyl litsening, headphones and stereo speakers), this is my set-up i have short listed:

Speakers - Q concepts 3020

Amp/Dac/Headphone amp - Onkyo 9010

Headphones - Shure 1540/1840

The genres of music i listen to is a wide rangs, From jazz-house-techno-reggae-blues-live concerts both vinyl and digital.

Any thoughts on my current setup? i would love some feedback given i am new to this, and shortlisted most based on WhatHifi reviews and other online reviews.

Please help me out and advice me on my first small (but big) step into the HiFi world!

Thank you!

I'm new on here too!

I've got the 3020 speakers, they are amazing for their size. Plenty of bass too.

If I was you I'd go for an old Pioneer A400 or 400x off eBay. Everyone says the A400 is best. I've had both and they are both very very good giant killers in their day. You can pick them up between £60-120! Will beat any modern £300-400 amp easily.

You didn't mention the CD player? Again try an old Marantz CD63 SE or KI. You'll be amazed how good that old 90's kit is. Look to pay £120-180

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

gasolin

I have the marantz PM6005 (not so power full as the onkyo) that has a dac249€ and the cd5005 i found it for 149€ both very good for the money,but the cdplayer is a real bargain,value for the money

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The above amp has garnered great reviews - a good alternative to an elderly (albeit great sounding amp - the A400) . Have a listen to the onkyo and see how you get on.

cheers tonky

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I can't comment on anything else in the OP's post other than the headphone suggestions. I own a few pairs of cans and the Shure SRH1540 are up there with the best of them. Excellent choice.

slickvik

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for contributing!

i was stuck between the 1840 or 1540. As the 1840, being open headphones lack just a little bass.

but i decided to go with the 1840 to satisfy the neutral sounds, and let the speakers provide me with the needed bass for listening!

slickvik

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
hi, i'm purchasing this in Australia.

They haven't specified online, so i guess i will have to wait till the product gets here to check the manual!

Thank you for the info! will keep you posted once i get the product!

Update: The store i purchased claims they have only Australian Poduct stocks (which according to the onkyo website comes with a wolfson DAC). Will have to wait and see

TRENDING THREADS