First Complete Stereo System

g777o

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
After finding myself listening to 90% music vs 10% Movies, I've stopped using my Onkyo 509 and put together a dedicated stereo System.

B&W 685 Standmounts with Atacama Nexus Stands

Rotel RC 995 Pre Amp

Rotel RB 991 Power Amp

Arcam rDac

Sonos ZP90 (Controlled by CR100/iPad/Samsung GS2)

Cheap JVC CD Player used as transport with the rDac for those occasions when I get a new CD and can't wait to rip it.

Western Digital 2TB Nas Drive.

I previously used a RA-02 Integrated with the 685s and found this a good match, upgrading to the 991 & 995 has really transformed the system like I could have never imagined.

2012-05-21+18.17.01.jpg

2012-05-21+18.17.27.jpg

2012-05-21+18.17.21.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Though not the first system, I used to have the same speakers and amp at one point of time. great combination! The 15XX sereis of Rotel did not get me excite but the older versions both 10XX as well as 9XX are very good.

Have fun!

g777o

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the positive comments, glad you like the set up.

I will experiment with the toe in angle, I got the amps and dac all in the last week ( had the speakers for around 6 weeks) so I'm just getting used to the fuller sound, the grip on the bass now is phenomenal.

The fixed power cables on both amps have been altered to an IEC connection, this gives me further upgrade options.

I also purchased a Tacima 6 socket mains cable, as the previous lead I used has LEDs, which I am told is not best for hifi.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well it looks like you've got enough room or close to it to have your speakers and listening position as an equilateral triangle, which is great. I tend to find if you can see a sliver of the inner side of each speaker from your listening position it is a good place to start. slightly further toed in is likely to sharpen things up a touch and pointing them slightly wider may improve soundstage. Have a play around, it's the best simple upgrade you can do

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I recently just got the B&W 685s and while not fully run-in, I'm enjoying the sounds and looks already! Your setup looks great. I'm curious about you using the rDac for ripping new CDs, or did you mean the JVC CD player, since ripped MP3 still in digital format?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mleongkc said:
I'm curious about you using the rDac for ripping new CDs, or did you mean the JVC CD player, since ripped MP3 still in digital format?

That isn't what he meant, he meant if he buys a CD and is too impatient to rip it on his computer he plays the CD through the CD player into the rDac. You can't use an rDac to rip CDs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts