First a vinyl revival, now a cassette comeback..

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Some of my a self -recorded classic performances by pub rock / blues bands in the 70's and 80's are only available on my cassettes. Not exactly a revival but certainly a format I am currently converting....
There used to be those who sold illegal cassettes, remember seeing them around my mates flat years ago. He wouldn't divulge his source. The recordings went from good to dreadful in terms of sound quality.

Reactions: hifi

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
There used to be those who sold illegal cassettes, remember seeing o suffer fromthem around my mates flat years ago. He wouldn't divulge his source. The recordings went from good to dreadful in terms of sound quality.
The cheaper cassettes were useless if you got a good metal cassette they were reliable and sounded better .dolby or DBX ?
I remember looking at markets selling poor copies i never tried them.
I have some vey old recordings that still play very well. I like the format to this day very flexable for recording or play lists .

The cheaper cassettes were useless if you got a good metal cassette they were reliable and sounded better .dolby or DBX ?
I remember looking at markets selling poor copies i never tried them.
I have some vey old recordings that still play very well. I like the format to this day very flexable for recording or play lists .
No, I've only got bad memories of cassettes. At the time they were different (had a Sharp cassette player in the car with a graphic equalizer) and that was a sound revelation. Preferred it over my home Hitachi deck, but ultimately they were a nightmare to maintain.

TrevC

Is R2R making a comeback?

Can you buy music on this format and how would anyone be able to enjoy this very expensive device?
No. But you can make good recordings on it. Not quite as good as a digital set up though.

Reactions: hifi

DCarmi

I wonder if this thread will ever get back on track.....
OK.
Cassettes are cheap and can be produced in short runs for a fraction of the cost of vinyl.
They are less bulky to store than vinyl.
They are retro and seen as cool for those wanting something physical to collect. Cds are not.

That said I won't be buying because I may be retro but i am definitely not cool. (Listening to Wishbone Ash to prove the point.)

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
I used to love making mix tapes from my records to give to girlfriends/potential girlfriends. I'd spend hours making/painting/creating covers and inlay cards with track listing. Well it was a good way to review the 2x 45 minute sides to check levels and compositions. I was a bit arty back then. My female friends seemed to appreciate it too.
Still have one of them who's been my wife for 26 years and still got the tape I made.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Wonder what the build quality is like looks very plastic ! if any on does take the plunge let me know please what its like . What is audiot return policy like never dealt with them? would love too play my cassettes on a road trip.

jjbomber

Someone appears to believe in a revival.
AudioT are set to stock a new portable Bluetooth cassette player for £150...., ho hum!
I was in AudioT yesterday and they were telling me about it. Then we got on to the Cayin N6ii portable tube headphone amplifier. A lot of things going retro.

Then today we have Naim releasing a retro amp and McIntosh issuing a retro speakers.

The more that things change, the more they stay the same, as the French would say if foreign language was allowed on here!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts