Firmware upgrade for Audiolab 8200CD

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the Audiolab 8200CD player's firmware user-upgradable? Just wondering if my 8200CD can have the default 4 filters upgraded to the 7 filters available in the revised version? I'm also not sure if my local dealer in Australia would have the means to do this.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I had an issue with the firmware on my cd player .so i sent it off to audiolab in huntingdon ,UK.When I got it back it had the 7 filters on it .Xd and Dd I can't recall the other one .So the firmware must be upgradable ,but I doubt your local dealer could do it.To be honest I have not really used them and normally stick to the optimum transcient setting.I if bothers you that much you could email audiolab and ask .

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Audiolab and am awaiting a response. Just curious how the new filters sound? I'm aware that Optimal Transient was WHF's recommended filter setting in the original review, but this was based on the original 4 filters at the time. Has anyone else had any experience with the new filters and the potential impact on sound quality, and would Optimal Transient still be the recommendation? Thanks for any advice.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Although I bought my 8200CD in July, it had been upgraded in store by Audiolab. I thought there were originally 5 filters, and the new XD and DD filters are subtle variations of the opitmal transient.

Although it would seem obvious to say "listen to the filters and decide which you like best", I have to admit that I find the descriptions of the filters in the instructions to be incomprehensible, and would love to know a bit more about what effects they might have on the music, and what types of music they might be better suited to. I can hear a difference between them, but can't necessarily decide which I prefer :oops:

A

Anonymous

My Wadia has 3 different filters as well as reverse phase settings, and I can't tell the blindest bit of difference!

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
AKMH said:
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Audiolab and am awaiting a response. Just curious how the new filters sound? I'm aware that Optimal Transient was WHF's recommended filter setting in the original review, but this was based on the original 4 filters at the time. Has anyone else had any experience with the new filters and the potential impact on sound quality, and would Optimal Transient still be the recommendation? Thanks for any advice.

Any reply from Audiolab on this ?

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I recently heard from the Audiolab distributor in Australia (based in Sydney). They've informed that a service centre is expected to be available soon in each state, where a firmware upgrade can be performed, presumably at a cost. Still awaiting further details.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts