Firestone Audio Fubar IV USB not working with windows7

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have just connected up my Fubar IV using all the available ports, usb, optical and coax. When i use optical with Laptop it works fine likewise with the coax with cd player fine but when i try the usb dont get any sound!! Is there something i am doing wrong i have looked at the sound set up on laptop and when i plug in the usb it shows up and then nothing no sound, I have tried wm player and also tried spotify.. Do the sound properties in windows7 need upgradeing? I'm lost with this now!!!

Many thanks,

Paul

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
unplug optical and coaxil and try usb on its own as i think the other two are more dominent than the usb and the fubar is prob cancelling out the signal as don't think you can have optical and usb at same time!

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks John have located c media but it wont let me select for some reason, oh and i have also unplugged all other devices still nothing, its this windows7 i'm quite new to it...

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have windows 7 (ultimate 64bit) and my Fubar works fine via usb, only use usb connection btw. All I did when I recieved mine was to plug in the power lead and usb with the box turned off, flicked the power switch on and windows took a few seconds to install a driver and that was it.

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Managed to get it working via usb, was a problem with the driver. I got in touch with firestone audio europe and they sent me new driver. Thanks all for your help.

Paul.
emotion-5.gif

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread but does the fubar make a massive difference? I'm currently running my Grado SR80i through my Logitech Z680 headphone output on the controller box which in turn is connected to an X-fi sound card. Would the fubar then negate the need for a sound card in the PC if i was to only use headphones?

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Well I originally ran my SR80i's via my pc's headphone output (on the remote for the creative pc speakers) with a X-Fi extreme music soundcard. The headphones sounded reasonably good but I then tried them pluged into my dads Marantz stereo and that was a big improvement in sound quality over my pc setup.

Most headphone outputs on hifi equipment is more of an after thought, so most are in fact not very good. Better than my pc setup though, well at least via the Marantz. I then bought a Fubar4 at the begining of the year when Firestone had them on special offer. It has a much better DAC than my soundcard so I thought should offer some improvement in sound quality and of course it has a proper headphone output designed for the job.

Does the Fubar make a massive difference? Well I was shocked at the difference in sound quality via the Fubar, even my dads Marantz sounded like a budget amplifier in comparison. Its like going from a cheap hifi to a proper stereo system, the music sounds clearer with much more detail than before, instruments stand out more easily and well it sounds fantastic. The Fubar did seem to take 40-50 hours or so to run in, I don't know if that was just how long my ears took to get used to the sound or if the Fubar improved in that time. But it sounded better after 40hrs or so.

I still use my soundcard for gaming and watching movies via my 5.1 headphones, and this works as normal when the Fubar is switched off. Flick the power switch on the Fubar and the pc speakers/headphones mute and you only get audio through the Fubar. Turn the Fubar off and the pc sound comes back to life.
So you can use it either as a replacement for the soundcard if you just want to use your Grados (or as a DAC into a hifi) , or you can use both like I do.

I don't think I would of got the same level of improvement even if I had bought a £500 pair of headphones with my old pc setup compared to the SR80i's and the Fubar.

TRENDING THREADS