Finally...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This evening I've been afforded an insight into just how good this Oppo HA-1 can and hopefully will sound. Since receiving it I've been a little underwhelmed by it's headphone amp capibilities. I was pretty sure it was down to the (in my opinion throughly disappointing) AKG Q701's I've paired with it. My daughter has a pair of K550's and I think they fared a little better.

Anyway tonight I thought I'd have a fiddle (of hifi related knobs only) and see how I got on... ;-)

I've just added a Raspberry pi3 to my system complimented by RuneAudio and it seems ok all things considered. I'm comparing it with my old Yamaha WXC-50 streamer and to be honest when the price is taken into account it isn't too shabby. I also enjoyed the concept of putting it together. I'm awaiting and looking forward to adding a digital output, an optical and Coax board is due later this week. I think this is definitely an option people should consider investigating if looking for an inexpensive method of streaming their digital collection. I tried the Chromecast Audio and in my opinion it's shockingly bad.

So my Raspberry pi3 is coupled by Ethernet to my (Music only) Synology NAS which in turn feeds the Oppo via usb and an almost long forgotten, dust gathering Audioquest Jitterbug. I wondered what else I could rediscover and I found my B&O H3 ANC earphones.

Been playing a variety of tracks and genres but on NIN's - 'Copy of A', what a massive difference! The B&O's ANC was swtiched off/not charged but wow! I don't know the figures involved but imagine the B&O's, perhaps all but the very best and pricy IEM's are a hell of a lot easier to drive than fully fledged headphones. The Oppo finally felt like it had plenty of muscle where as before it felt light weight. The missing warmth was here in abundance and boy the bass felt like it was in the room, let alone in the space between my ears! It wasn't massively overblown either, not perfect but enjoyable and totally agreeable whilst producing a soundstage and presentation I really enjoyed. I felt like I almost went from one unpleasant extreme to something much more palatable, where I'd be tempted to ask for a lot more!.

This has completely convinced me that my next purxhase has to be a decent pair of cans that are compatable with the Oppo. I've justifed to myself the saving up and eventual puchase. The Oppo performs other duties in my setup but primarily I purchased it because I wanted a decent headphone amplifer. Tonight, I finally feel like I'm getting familiar with it and thoroughly like what I hear, the idea of what I will hear.

That was my short story, long... ;-)

insider9

Glad it's finally working out for you. The option of Raspberry Pi is an interesting one. I might be looking to move my Yamaha on once I get DDRC-24. I need something with Tidal. Could you stream Tidal via Rune on Raspberry Pi?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still unable to 'quote' when replying to the first message after logging on.

But yes there will defintely be a headphone ungrade further down the road. The Oppo deserves it.

In the meantime I've occupied myself with the Raspberry Pi, all new territory for me, total beginner. I'm running RuneAudio at present because Volumino constantly drops outs, struggles to save settings and resets my library. Honestly insider I bet you couldn't tell the difference in sound between a Raspberry Pi set up and your Yamaha. Although MusicCast is great and I still miss that. Oh I've added the Audioquest Jitterbug just for the sake of it.

There are four outputs, 3 digital and 1 analogue, it's tiny, perfectly quiet and plays my few DSD512 files without any issue. The Yamaha continually coughed it's guts up with certain DSD files, namely the drum intro on Michael Jackson's Billie Jean.

This weekend I'm adding a 2nd Red WD 4TB drive to my Qnap NAS. That's been sitting there gathering dust waiting for me to pull my finger out . I found the Qnap operating system confusing when compared to my very basic but ultimately reliable and aging Synology. I want to install Roon, give it a years subscription and see how it goes.

But yes new headphones will complete my system. Then what? ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

luckylion100 said:
I'm still unable to 'quote' when replying to the first message after logging on.

But yes there will defintely be a headphone ungrade further down the road. The Oppo deserves it.

In the meantime I've occupied myself with the Raspberry Pi, all new territory for me, total beginner. I'm running RuneAudio at present because Volumino constantly drops outs, struggles to save settings and resets my library. Honestly insider I bet you couldn't tell the difference in sound between a Raspberry Pi set up and your Yamaha. Although MusicCast is great and I still miss that. Oh I've added the Audioquest Jitterbug just for the sake of it.

There are four outputs, 3 digital and 1 analogue, it's tiny, perfectly quiet and plays my few DSD512 files without any issue. The Yamaha continually coughed it's guts up with certain DSD files, namely the drum intro on Michael Jackson's Billie Jean.

This weekend I'm adding a 2nd Red WD 4TB drive to my Qnap NAS. That's been sitting there gathering dust waiting for me to pull my finger out . I found the Qnap operating system confusing when compared to my very basic but ultimately reliable and aging Synology. I want to install Roon, give it a years subscription and see how it goes.

Stay logged in then.
wink_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
luckylion100 said:

Stay logged in then.
That smiley face with me winking looks like I have had a stroke!
regular_smile.gif

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I got the Opps PM-3. I had them about two months now. They work very well with my Arcam A19, they are not as warm sound as my old Philips X1 headphones. The Opps PM-3 are balance sound, and work well with all my music.

insider9

Luckylion a bit of a warning about Roon. I've got a free trial at the moment. It changed how I see my source. I simply cannot imagine going back to anything else so it will be pc based system.

Roon is quite simply the most thought out platform I've seen. Tidal integration is stunning. It just works flawlessly. Make sure you have money to spare once your trial ends as you won't be going back to whatever you've used before :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Interesting comment about the CCA. I use one with a HifimeDiY Spdif DAC (ESS 9018k2m) and find it quite good, mind, I don't have much to compare it with.

I recently noticed a little bit of 'glare' in the treble so I have ordered an Anker Battery Bank to power both the CCA and DAC.

Bit stressful at work at present so it may just be that :)

The Raspberry stuff looks interesting. I posted some question about it over at PFM but looking at what owners do (constantly modify/upgrade/change them) I have a feeling its a bit of a bottomless pit. Tweakers delight. ClairFox also gave some interesting insights on its shortcomings as an audio device.

Still, its an ever evolving thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts