Finally I own some AE1 Classics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well this is it really, it's just finding something with the sound you like - there isn't really a right or wrong. There's so much choice out there!

I haven't heard the BX2's but thought the slightly older BR5 floorstanders were very good when I was comparing them to the Neo 3's a few years back. It may be that you find the 120's work perfectly well in the new house anyway, it isn't always necessarily the case that a smaller room will be overpowered by speakers with powerful bass and vice versa. Still can't do any harm to audition some other options if you feel the need for change!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations on the new speakers they are amazing. I too had a long wait having first heard the AE1 in 1987 and it took me until about 2008 to finally get a pair. Yes, it was worth the wait.

That cherry does look nice. I'm in black.

When I saw the photo I was a little concerned about positioning but Jim clleared that up. Interesting, as I'd ruled out AE1s for another room as they'd be nearer the wall than in my main system. Mine are Mk2's and Jim will be pleased to know they're about a metre from rear wall and about 80 cm from side walls (as near to free space as is feasible).

Your amps sound interesting, I've not heard of them being somewhat out of date with current hi fi. I have an EAR (Esoteric Audio Research) 802 pre which is also a tube pre and seems to suit the Ae1s well.

I do think they could benefit from a sub still, but that's just me having worked in clubs too long. The sub would need to be good to keep up though. Don't get me wrong, the bass from these small speakers is fast, tight and deeper than you'd expect. I just like a little more though.

Enjoy them, I'm sure you will.

A

Anonymous

I was using a Rel Strata Sub but as the AE1s run in I find I dont need the sub :p

The system is now so revealing, my XL pressing of 19 sounds dreadfull, didnt realise it was so bad but my Red Vinyl Japan Quiet life sounds superb.

The only problem I have with the speakers is the finish, there where what looked and felt like scratches on the piano gloss but fortunetly Mr Sheen got rid of them and by one of the grill clips there is a strange mark on the veneer. Im just being fussy here but on a pair of speakers costing £900 it does take the shine off slightly.

Would it stop me buying another pair..no way..the sound is simply stunning, if I had the money Id have AE1s for all my 7.1 system.....now wheres that lottery ticket.. :cheers:

John

A

Anonymous

Just continuing from my last post, I had the Morgan Pre and Power Amps custom built.

Robin built the pre with 2 sets of outputs one for full range use and the other cuts off the lower freqencies, I use the full range and Im sure this goes lower than any other amp Ive had.

This suits the AE1s like a charm.

I read alot about the AE1s being power hungry but Ive used them on my Deva 300 (30watt) Harmon Kardon HK980 (60watt??) and the Deva 500s(??watts but the lights dim when I switch it on) and they have sounded great on all of them.

I seem to be building up a speaker collection these days

Roth Oli 3 (not bad, bought them cheap, work well with the Fatman Dock)

Tannoy DCT4 Signature Revolution (Good for vocals, not much bass poor build quality)

AE Linear 3 (IMO a very underated floorstander)

AE100 (the start of my HIFi adventure)

AE1 (My dream speakers for 19 years, living the dream)

John

A

Anonymous

Just continuing from my last post, I had the Morgan Pre and Power Amps custom built.

Robin built the pre with 2 sets of outputs one for full range use and the other cuts off the lower freqencies, I use the full range and Im sure this goes lower than any other amp Ive had.

This suits the AE1s like a charm.

I read alot about the AE1s being power hungry but Ive used them on my Deva 300 (30watt) Harmon Kardon HK980 (60watt??) and the Deva 500s(??watts but the lights dim when I switch it on) and they have sounded great on all of them.

I seem to be building up a speaker collection these days

Roth Oli 3 (not bad, bought them cheap, work well with the Fatman Dock)

Tannoy DCT4 Signature Revolution (Good for vocals, not much bass poor build quality)

AE Linear 3 (IMO a very underated floorstander)

AE100 (the start of my HIFi adventure)

AE1 (My dream speakers for 19 years, living the dream)

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts