Fearing to tread into this again but....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If you play a sweep like you do for a speaker frequency resposne measurment it won't matter what the source is the result will be the same but the sound will be different your arguing something different

Like I said, maybe your recording equpiment isn't revealing enough.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ellisdj said:
If you play a sweep like you do for a speaker frequency resposne measurment it won't matter what the source is the result will be the same but the sound will be different your arguing something different

That's a pointless answer a 20hz to 20khz sweep of fixed volume how freq is measured will measure the same regardless as to whether the sweep comes from a cd vinyl mp3 mini disc but they won't all sound the same playing music. How has that got anything to do with recording equipment.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
cheeseboy said:
ellisdj said:

That's a pointless answer a 20hz to 20khz sweep of fixed volume how freq is measured will measure the same regardless as to whether the sweep comes from a cd vinyl mp3 mini disc but they won't all sound the same playing music. How has that got anything to do with recording equipment.

There is no real audible difference in any of the videos you have posted.

The other reason people claim to hear the difference you intend is because you have large writing on the screen tell the viewer so he naturally thinks he can hear one.

If I turn away from the screen with no visual clues the difference you claim disappears.

The fact that you blatantly ignore this shows you want people to hear a difference to reassure your audiophile osd.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's interesting because you are the second person to say that but not the only person to be critical of me so the numbers suggest people can hear the diffeences recorded

In fact I have surprised quite a few people with what I can record some is so clear you can hear it back on phone speakers even let alone good headphones.

It's there you can hear it and in real life the diffeence needs to move much larger in order for it to translate back

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't know what your listening on but Audioquest Night owl carbons are now half price about 350 pound which is a great price for them, they are really nice headphones for that money

Using them and my phone is how I monitor the videos I make after to check.

Phone is a S9+

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:

so how do you measure this sweep? I'm guessing with recording equipment no?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You use a calibrated microphone same as they use to measure these sweeps all over the world for every use thats needed for it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The thing thats important here is not seeing a change in a frequency response graph is not an indicator of the sound difference or not in a cable change - because its not an indicator or perceived sound quality. More an indicator of other things that can relate to sound quality for sure obviously.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
It's interesting because you are the second person to say that but not the only person to be critical of me so the numbers suggest people can hear the diffeences recorded

In fact I have surprised quite a few people with what I can record some is so clear you can hear it back on phone speakers even let alone good headphones.

It's there you can hear it and in real life the diffeence needs to move much larger in order for it to translate back

You wouldn't tell people what was playing and then changed things in a way that no-one knows(possibly no change in equipment)
Then see who dares to give an opinion.
Untill then it's all a con.

abacus

ellisdj said:

Ellisdj

You and others say that if you can’t hear a difference then your system is not resolving enough, but now you are saying people can hear differences on their phones, make your mind up, or better still provide verifiable evidence; otherwise your claims are meaningless. (And best ignored)

Bill

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have never said anyones system in not revealing enough to show differences in cables because I have always heard them and my system has not always been near the level its at now - it used to be pretty awful for a very long time. However I do know that my poor setup skill and lack of understanding and knowledge at the time would have definately hindered my testing of the cables at the time and the kit leading to me making an incorrect judgements and decisons. That I know for a fact.

However at a point there becomes a level that is too low - using laptop speakers to listen for changes in bass in a recording is clearly no good. Hence the suggestion for people to use somehting everyone has a good smart phone - that is accessible to everyone.

Then a pair of headphones these can also be of too low quality to assess sound quality of a recording hence my suggestion to use what I use which is not expensive but it will be the same for me as you, because its headphones and room acoustics, quality of this and that are not hinderances to the end result.

I am just suggesting common sense to get a constant result, nothing more.

Trying to get people to guess when I made a change is a pointless exercise, thats not what people do in testing, its not what people do in Blind ABX testing either. The listener is always made aware there has been a change what I do is no different to that.

The difference in my videos people can listen relaxed in their own environment with no pressure to get it right or wrong or be judged, on headphones they know the sound of and a source quality they know the sound of.

They can enjoy the experience and hopefully get somehting out of it and I think for the majority that is exactly what happens.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't judge a speaker cable too soon, they have a burn-in period. Also check if you got the direction right. Even though AC flows through them, they will have higher resistance in one direction because of copper imperfections, not to mention current flow memory due to generated EMF.

Vladimir said:
Don't judge a speaker cable too soon, they have a burn-in period. Also check if you got the direction right. Even though AC flows through them, they will have higher resistance in one direction because of copper imperfections, not to mention current flow memory due to generated EMF.
And they need cryogenic treatment too, Vlad. You’re getting lax!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
And they need cryogenic treatment too, Vlad. You’re getting lax!

Well of course you need cryogenic treatment too, but strictly before the burn in. Otherwise some condensation may occur and ruin the quadruple piano grade lacquered finish on the bubinga cable elevators.

Benedict_Arnold said:
Oh dear. Looks like I started another one.

Oh well. World Cup starts again in about 3 years and eleven months ...
Sorry, BA, I was just having a bit of fun. I think we established fairly early on that, interesting though it is, what you read doesn’t apply to audio cable lengths and frequencies. But that hasn’t stopped loads of claims about infra- and super-sonic frequencies being affected, with the inference that sounds we hear are also altered or improved.

I’m still sometimes in the camp of ‘we can’t yet measure everything we hear’ as that does seem to offer a potential explanation for some of the mysteries of Hi-Fi!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
There is lots of bull **** Rip off involved in the hifi industry and none more so than cables/power leads manufacturers.
It's all about profit and how easier to make money by putting a fancy jacket over a piece of wire and selling it for ridiculous amounts to the gullible.

And there will always be osd audiophile enthusiasm to spearhead the night and day results.

It's a length of copper cable FFS.

Although I must admit that I changed the power lead on my kettle and you should taste the coffee now.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I should add that I think skepticism is also in the dark corner of ignorance in a lot of situations. People have accepted skepticism as a personal philosophy, a quasi religion, a lifestyle, there are even professional skeptics. If you think audiophile cables are BS, you need to know why they are BS, not just snark and parrot skepticism by default. The problem with this is there is an effort of learning involved. I try my best to learn and not dismiss just because I have a gut feeling or the word on the interwebs is this is a scam.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Long gone are the days when this hobby meant soldering and knowing basic electronics, or wanting to learn anything technical. People call an electrician to change a light bulb. People don't know how to check oil on their cars anymore. If you're into cars as a hobby you buy 'special performance' oil, fuses and filters. You don't actually know how an engine works, let alone to disassemble one. Swapping cables, changing golden fuses and special rubber belts on TTs is how men today practice hi-fi. No need to know how a capacitor works or what a diode does. Manufacturers and reviewers can write anything they want and it all gets a green light simply because everyone is technically ignorant. The worst thing you can do is make them aware of it. It just brings up frustration and denial.

So if you want to play nice with everyone else, you need to accept the fact that the dentist bought a $250 speaker cable and is hearing night and day differences and there are no osciloscopes that can change his mind.

Note: I'm in the technically ignorant bunch. Not trying to be a smartarse. It's what I think is going on, could be wrong ofc.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
There is lots of bull **** Rip off involved in the hifi industry and none more so than cables/power leads manufacturers. It's all about profit and how easier to make money by putting a fancy jacket over a piece of wire and selling it for ridiculous amounts to the gullible.

And there will always be osd audiophile enthusiasm to spearhead the night and day results.

It's a length of copper cable FFS.

Although I must admit that I changed the power lead on my kettle and you should taste the coffee now.
There are too many examples of cable retail pricing bearing no resemblance to a reasonable material plus manufacturing costs plus a reasonable mark-up cost.

With the discrepenacy being explained by research costs. It's a cable!

Or marketing costs. OK for customers happy to pay for the manufacturer to place gossy ads in Hi-fi+ etc. For other customers, cables from companies with low overheads make more sense.

The hi-fi cable market is over-crowded. Too many products chasing too small a market. It's like something from a C N Parkinson book, where the selling price bears no corelation to the cost to make the cable. The price expands to fill the figure made up in the head of the Marketing Director.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts