Faulty vinyl - centre hole to small?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I got a copy of the Beatles past masters on vinyl over christmas, and the first record is very tight fitting onto the spindle of my turntable, to be honest it looks like the hole in the centre of the record just wasnt drilled out properly. Kinda dissapointed with these being on the pricey side to begin with you would expect a top notch product. Question is should i just try and make the hole slightly bigger with maybe sandpaper or something or bring it back to the shop for a replacement? I'm thinking replacement as i still have the receipt. When I say tight i have to hold the platter on the the table and twist the record down the spindle.. which i dont like doing!

Cheers,
Mick

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Take it back unless you are confident enough and have the right gear to open the hole up a tad. The hole isnt drilled btw, it is formed by the stamper on the vinyl press. Nowt to do with being a top notch product, the insert that forms the hole has probably worn a little over time.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Alears said:
Agree with floyd droid, take it back.

I have been known to tinker with a medium round file in some past incidences but would not advise the faint-hearted to do this. :)

Really?

I don't want to sound like a heathen, but whenever I've had a problem with a tight fitting spindle I've just used a Bic pen (though other brands are available!) and made the hole slightly bigger.

The results have been fine with no problems to date.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Paul Clarke said:
Alears said:
Agree with floyd droid, take it back.

I have been known to tinker with a medium round file in some past incidences but would not advise the faint-hearted to do this. :)

Really?

I don't want to sound like a heathen, but whenever I've had a problem with a tight fitting spindle I've just used a Bic pen (though other brands are available!) and made the hole slightly bigger.

Neither Al or myself made it out to be rocket science. However, I took it as the OP didnt have any confidence in doing it himself. Otherwise surely he would have just got on with it. I use a taper reamer btw as it actualy cuts , bic biros swage ;)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Paul Clarke said:
Really?

Same here. I've never had the nerve to take a record back just because it's a bit tight on my TT's spindle. I've just widened it using basic tools and what I thought was basic common sense. Flat-blade screwdriver does the trick for me. Find one from your tool-kit that partially passes through the hole but is a tiny fraction too large to push through fully, twist it round a few times, job done.

In 2011, WorldSkills London took a random sample of 2,023 people and found that 57% of them couldn't change a flat tyre, 50% couldn't hang wallpaper and 65% couldn't wire a mains-plug. I don't think they tested how many people could widen the hole on an LP, but we definitely seem to be losing the ability to perform basic tasks.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Paul Clarke said:
. In 2011, WorldSkills London took a random sample of 2,023 people and found that 57% of them couldn't change a flat tyre, 50% couldn't hang wallpaper and 65% couldn't wire a mains-plug. I don't think they tested how many people could widen the hole on an LP, but we definitely seem to be losing the ability to perform basic tasks.

That's because you canna do any of the above with a computer, we have convinced everyone that you only need a computer to rule the world.

Some of us are still capable, I bet they didn't repair that leak on the oil platform with a computer, probably someone with a welding rod and a chipping hommer. :roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts