FAO Shaxos - MF 550k Superchargers brand new £1250 for the pair

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You can't biamp the Superchargers, which to me is the main problem and why they are so cheap. I was very interested when I first heard about them, but the more I read the more I thought they were just a gimmick.

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
you can use them as two mono amps though with a MF A5pre and they have more than enough power to drive anything - also a lot of top quality speakers only have one set of terminals so don't allow bi-amping anyway.

Cost of the pre and the 550k about £1600 - bet you can't find much that would touch them for that money - original rrp £4500

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:you can use them as two mono amps though and they have more than enough power to drive anything - also a lot of top quality speakers only have one set of terminals so don't allow bi-amping anyway

I know, but after biamping I very much doubt I will ever go back. A while ago I demo'd some AVI Neutrons which I was quite taken by, but only one set of terminals meant they had to be scrubbed off the list.

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i've just gone from a pair of RS8 biamped to running a pair of focal 908s using my power amps now in a mono configuration - they are far better in terms of seperation etc.

biamping is unnecessary with the right kit

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:i've just gone from a pair of RS8 biamped to running a pair of focal 908s using my power amps now in a mono configuration - they are far better in terms of seperation etc.biamping is unnecessary with the right kit

Interesting. I found the biamping helped on every level with my stuff.

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
think it all comes down to the quality of the crossovers and compnents used - take dynaudio don't think any of their speakers are - a lot but not all of wilson bench arn't you would be suprised.

i used to think that but took me a long time to get my head round it because always believed that it was better.

the focals remind me of my old dalis although a little bass light - amazing treble/mid range and seperation

just had quick flick through back of what hi fi would say prob 40% of all the speakers listed weren't bi-wirable

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
DM i dont know if he has demo facilities as he lives a considerable distance away from me and all correspondance has been by phone. He was recommended to me by the owner of a well respected hifi shop i use. A collegue of my friend had the KW550 and invited us around for a listen. I was impressed and put a deposit down with homescapeav. Now waiting to be in a position to complete the transaction. Cant wait to get the amp at home up and running!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SHAXOS:DM i dont know if he has demo facilities as he lives a considerable distance away from me and all correspondance has been by phone. He was recommended to me by the owner of a well respected hifi shop i use. A collegue of my friend had the KW550 and invited us around for a listen. I was impressed and put a deposit down with homescapeav. Now waiting to be in a position to complete the transaction. Cant wait to get the amp at home up and running!

Thank you again Shaxos. May I ask what speakers you will be using and what the dem system consisted of?

Do any of the contributing editors here have any experience with the kw series and what sort of speakers would you recommend?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
The listen that i had with the kw550 amp was with some dynaudio contour stand mount speakers not sure what model exactly. I was very impressed with the effortless of the whole performance - especially at louder volumes. There were absolutely no signs of strain at all. I currently own B&W 805S which i love. I havent had a chance to hear my speakers and the amp together but im sure they will be fine. I could very easily change to dynaudios if i didnt like the sound but i feel that the opportunity for a significant upgrade without a massive outlay over my previous bel canto was too good to miss. I wacked a post up not long ago about MF and speaker synergy, didnt have much luck though. Anyway good luck DM let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

I don't think they've found their true value yet. Wait a bit longer!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts