FAO Andrew Everard / WHF staff: old WHF reviews?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:
As far as I can remember he's always been the Audio Editor for Gramophone, the WHF stuff was more of a side job

Not sure: his LinkedIn page suggests he's been with WHSV much longer, and 'only' with Gramaphone since 1999. This is a bit like a Miss Marple mystery, isn't it? :rofl:

When I say "always" I mean for a few years, so that role is not a new one. I might be completely wrong of course.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
gel said:
gel said:
Clare Newsome said:
I saw Andrew on Saturday (at the National Audio Show) - he's busy with all sorts of exciting stuff, including plenty for Haymarket.

You really should check out his blog :)

Ah thanks Clare.
smiley-smile.gif
I will have a read. So it was a promotion of sorts? As long as he is okay.

http://andreweverard.com/about-2/

Found this bit, I will try and keep up to date with it. Thanks.
smiley-smile.gif

It is on this link here Norman. (I do like your name Norman.)
smiley-smile.gif

As far as I can remember he's always been the Audio Editor for Gramophone, the WHF stuff was more of a side job (apart from the almost round the clock moderating he was doing here, unless he just doesn't sleep at all), so I don't think it's a promotion, seems he's just decided to do more of his own thing, while keeping the Gramophone connection.

Yep, I think you are right. Although I do think he was full time WHF, it seems he might be doing another job full time now. I wonder what that might be? I suppose we might not find out. I wish him all the best anyway.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Yep, I think you are right. Although I do think he was full time WHF, it seems he might be doing another job full time now. I wonder what that might be? I suppose we might not find out. I wish him all the best anyway.

I think he's simply doing more freelance journalism alongside his Audio Editor role with Gramophone, I didn't think it was that complicated!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

I think he's simply doing more freelance journalism alongside his Audio Editor role with Gramophone, I didn't think it was that complicated!

It's not.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:

I am a complicated kind of guy.
smiley-smile.gif

Ced Yuen

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Meantime, more that two weeks on, the OP seems no closer to getting an answer from WHSV. Surley all this stuff must be on a database or in an archive or something?

Short answer:

The Awards issue is keeping us very busy, and it takes a long time to go through a library of back issues.

Long answer:

We don't have a database that stretches back to the 1980s. Nor do we have someone who remembers precisely which issue we reviewed something in the 1980s. We offered Dustin Hoffman the job, but he declined.

As previously mentioned, our current system only stretches back about five years, when things went online. Before that it was all print . You know, on paper, which is what our archive is made of. We have walls of shelves and cupboards filled with dust-lined old mags. It will take a week's worth of lunch breaks to dig through that.

Please, bear with us.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ced Yuen said:
spiny norman said:
Meantime, more that two weeks on, the OP seems no closer to getting an answer from WHSV. Surley all this stuff must be on a database or in an archive or something?

Short answer:

The Awards issue is keeping us very busy, and it takes a long time to go through a library of back issues.

Long answer:

We don't have a database that stretches back to the 1980s. Nor do we have someone who remembers precisely which issue we reviewed something in the 1980s. We offered Dustin Hoffman the job, but he declined.

As previously mentioned, our current system only stretches back about five years, when things went online. Before that it was all print . You know, on paper, which is what our archive is made of. We have walls of shelves and cupboards filled with dust-lined old mags. It will take a week's worth of lunch breaks to dig through that.

Please, bear with us.

Cheers, I appreciate it, but a small update is that I'm only now looking for reviews of the Cyrus amps: I've managed to find all the WHF reviews of Nak tape decks. So really I think that narrows it down to a period between about 1987 and 1992. Which I realise is still six years, so not a ten minute job.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Ced Yuen said:
Short answer:The Awards issue is keeping us very busy, and it takes a long time to go through a library of back issues.

Long answer:

As previously mentioned, our current system only stretches back about five years, when things went online. Before that it was all print . You know, on paper, which is what our archive is made of.

Good to see the magazine has employed someone to patronise the readers, though, eh?

Perhaps you don't realise the value of your archive of reviews - which other title has so comprehensive an archive of tests of mass-market products, going back what must be at least 30 years? You might want to think about getting that archive off, you know, paper, and online, as so many other magazines have done with some success. You might even find it's something some would pay to be able to access, given the popularity of secondhand equipment in these cash-strapped times.

As for not knowing what you reviewed and when, surley that's a bit pathetic? I'm sure the magazine used to list both current and discontinued products with their test dates in the back. What went wrong? I remember years ago phoning the magazine to ask when a product had been tested, and a nice person not only looked it up for me, but posted me a photocopy of the test.

I guess it's too much like hard work maintaining that when you are so busy? And the 'when things went online' answer is just nonsense, as I am sure this website used to have the Buying Guide on it at least 15 yrs ago. Mind you, that's possibly before you were born, as your Rain Man might have told you.

Perhaps that's another thing you might want to consider putting back online as a service to the people who pay your wages, rather than giving smartEDITED answers.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
Ced Yuen said:
Short answer:The Awards issue is keeping us very busy, and it takes a long time to go through a library of back issues.

Long answer:

As previously mentioned, our current system only stretches back about five years, when things went online. Before that it was all print . You know, on paper, which is what our archive is made of.

Good to see the magazine has employed someone to patronise the readers, though, eh?

Perhaps you don't realise the value of your archive of reviews - which other title has so comprehensive an archive of tests of mass-market products, going back what must be at least 30 years? You might want to think about getting that archive off, you know, paper, and online, as so many other magazines have done with some success. You might even find it's something some would pay to be able to access, given the popularity of secondhand equipment in these cash-strapped times.

As for not knowing what you reviewed and when, surley that's a bit pathetic? I'm sure the magazine used to list both current and discontinued products with their test dates in the back. What went wrong? I remember years ago phoning the magazine to ask when a product had been tested, and a nice person not only looked it up for me, but posted me a photocopy of the test.

I guess it's too much like hard work maintaining that when you are so busy? And the 'when things went online' answer is just nonsense, as I am sure this website used to have the Buying Guide on it at least 15 yrs ago. Mind you, that's possibly before you were born, as your Rain Man might have told you.

Perhaps that's another thing you might want to consider putting back online as a service to the people who pay your wages, rather than giving smartEDITED answers.

Oooooooo!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I had a load of WHF mags from the mid 1980s to mid 1990s which I bought new when I was young and single. I bought the mag religiously every month for over ten years. Marriage meant they were binned a long time ago. Should have put my foot down with a firm hand and kept them.

The Nakamichi DR-1 - DR-2 - DR-3 range was launched in 1992, so it follows that any reviews would most likely have been published that year or early in 1993 (depending on how late in 1992 it was launched).

That might narrow things a bit.

Interesting that during my search I came across a photo of a cassette case entitled... "What Hi-fi? Your Complete Guide to Buying Hi-fi. Free With What Hi-fi? October 1992" ... that contains (amongst other things) Andrew Everard talking about the Marantz CD52, the Rotel RCD965BX and bitstream converters according to the chap who posted it ;-)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/olyman/IMG_0653.jpg

In the case of the Cyrus kit I would actually telephone or email Cyrus themselves to see if they have copies of the relevant reviews in their own archive. At the very least they might be able to tell you the launch dates of those products to help with any search.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Ced Yuen said:

Long answer:

spiny norman – Thanks for your response, sorry if you felt patronised. The value of our old reviews is of course something we're acutely aware of and getting our archive online is absolutely something we're looking in to doing, but of course these things take time. Currently our digital archive does only go back so many years and that's not something we can change particularly quickly. I will pass on your comments to Kob, our Buyer's Guide editor, who maintains the Buyer's Guide on a daily basis.

MajorFubar – I have found reviews of the Cyrus One and Cyrus Two, from January and April 1992 respectively. Email me your address and I will post out photocopies. joe.cox@haymarket.com.

Cheers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
MajorFubar – I have found reviews of the Cyrus One and Cyrus Two, from January and April 1992 respectively. Email me your address and I will post out photocopies. joe.cox@haymarket.com.

Cheers.

That's brilliant Joe, thank you, email on its way. :clap:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
spiny norman said:
Ced Yuen said:

Long answer:

spiny norman – Thanks for your response, sorry if you felt patronised. The value of our old reviews is of course something we're acutely aware of and getting our archive online is absolutely something we're looking in to doing, but of course these things take time. Currently our digital archive does only go back so many years and that's not something we can change particularly quickly. I will pass on your comments to Kob, our Buyer's Guide editor, who maintains the Buyer's Guide on a daily basis.

Cheers.

Very polite of you, I understand that you aren't necessarily in a position to call a spade a spade, or in this case an arse an arse. Seems pretty obvious that spiny has mistaken an attempt at humour for being patronising, but then he does have a very poor track record for recognising humour unless they are his own feeble efforts.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Very polite of you, I understand that you aren't necessarily in a position to call a spade a spade, or in this case an arse an arse. Seems pretty obvious that spiny has mistaken an attempt at humour for being patronising, but then he does have a very poor track record for recognising humour unless they are his own feeble efforts.

Flattered to see I am your latest target, Ben. How long do i get before you move on to hassling someone else in your never-ending blokish quest to be loved?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If someone behaving like an arse and me consequently calling them an arse constitutes targeting them, then I guess I will continue to target you until you stop behaving like an arse.

TRENDING THREADS