FAO Al Ears

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Al we were discussing the Denon 110 in someone elses thtead, you mentioned the 103R, and not wanting to take that thread further off track, I thought I'd start another.

What are your thoughts on the 103R? You said you use it as a backup. Does it track well in the inner grooves? I'd heard the 110 tracks very well, but the 103R has a conical stylus where the 110 is eliptical.

I'd more or less settled on saving up for the 110 as a replacement for my MC3 Turbo. Finding a cart which mates well with heavy tonearms is a bit challenging these days, and I knew the 110 was highly recommended for such applications.

Ta.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Hello Al we were discussing the Denon 110 in someone elses thtead, you mentioned the 103R, and not wanting to take that thread further off track, I thought I'd start another.

What are your thoughts on the 103R? You said you use it as a backup. Does it track well in the inner grooves? I'd heard the 110 tracks very well, but the 103R has a conical stylus where the 110 is eliptical.

I'd more or less settled on saving up for the 110 as a replacement for my MC3 Turbo. Finding a cart which mates well with heavy tonearms is a bit challenging these days, and I knew the 110 was highly recommended for such applications.

Ta.
hi major, can anyone make a comment? or is it specific to al ears only?

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Anyone can but I know Al has specific knowledge of this cart.
I use a dl110 daily..my friend uses a 103 cart daily..before the 103 he used a dl160..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
before the 103 he used a dl160..

Yeah they're discontinued I believe and therefore like gold dust. But with that aside, and despite a name which might hint otherwise, I've read the DL-160 prefers light tonearms and is therefore unsuited to the TD160, at least with its stock arm. Thanks for the recommendation of the '110. What turntable and arm are you using it with?

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
keeper of the quays said:
before the 103 he used a dl160..

Yeah they're discontinued I believe and therefore like gold dust. But with that aside, and despite a name which might hint otherwise, I've read the DL-160 prefers light tonearms and is therefore unsuited to the TD160, at least with its stock arm. Thanks for the recommendation of the '110. What turntable and arm are you using it with?
I'm using the dl110 with a Linn turntable and akito arm..i see your point.i don't know anything about td160s..all I can say with my 640p it sounds very nice..which probably doesn't help you much!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi MF, had you considered the 'used route' and retiping by Northwest Analogue? A direction I took with my Sumiko Pearwood to very good affect? Even retiping a new 103, something I think NWA do as a recomendation . . . you'd need to check that one out?

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Hi MF, had you considered the 'used route' and retiping by Northwest Analogue? A direction I took with my Sumiko Pearwood to very good affect? Even retiping a new 103, something I think NWA do as a recomendation . . . you'd need to check that one out?

CJSF

Certainly an option CJ but probably a bit more money than I can realistically find ATM

MajorFubar said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Certainly an option CJ but probably a bit more money than I can realistically find ATM

Sorry major, been away from t'internet for a bit and only just seen your post. The 103R is an excellent tracker and was used by broadcasting studios for a long time hence it hasn't changed much over the years, about 45 at the last count. I know some people who replaced the plastic body with metal or wood after-market ones but I never ventured down that road. I must admit I have no knowledge of the DL110 but, for the money, the 103R is one of the best I have found as long as you can deal with the low output. If you can find one the DL304 is even better,, as is the rare DL103sa.

Might I suggest an interesting read:-​​

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Cartridges.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts