Fancy a 50,000 Watt system?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
_33A1481.jpg

As featured in Wired - and in London this weekend!

Lots of hot McIntosh VU-meter action, too....

(And no, i'm nothing to do with the brands or club involved - just boggling at the size/power of the system!)

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Like it!

Looks properly oldschool, harking back to the likes of the Paradise Garage system from the 70's, minus the massive horn-loaded bass cabs.

Would love to get out and have a listen to the beast, just not sure I want to feel like some weird old grandad, which is usually the case at clubs these days...

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
There's something I'm not so sure about, after a little chin rubbing..

With a system that's got 7 stacks of speakers, regardless of what you do physically or electronically, there's only going to be one point in the room where you get a cohesive sound, everywhere else you'll get all sorts of phase and delay problems. I remember hearing what should've been a very good EAW system a few years back, with 4 stacks placed around the dance floor, and had to leave very quickly!

Discounting all that, I do really like the idea of less focus on the DJ's and more on the music, sound and probably with it enjoying the company of your mates more, without being deafened!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gramps23 said:
There's something I'm not so sure about, after a little chin rubbing..

With a system that's got 7 stacks of speakers, regardless of what you do physically or electronically, there's only going to be one point in the room where you get a cohesive sound, everywhere else you'll get all sorts of phase and delay problems. I remember hearing what should've been a very good EAW system a few years back, with 4 stacks placed around the dance floor, and had to leave very quickly!

Discounting all that, I do really like the idea of less focus on the DJ's and more on the music, sound and probably with it enjoying the company of your mates more, without being deafened!

The only way round that is to have all the speakers stacked in one location. This would vastly increase headroom, but give a very 'mono' sound. It's one or the other, unfortunately.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Go to any decent concert or theatre production these days and the sound system will comprise two line-arrays either side of the stage, usually flying. The arrays are DSP optimised for frequency response and dispersion to create as good a listening experience as is possible given the shape of the venue.

Surrounding the dancefloor with seven speaker stacks is decoration, it has nothing to do with sound quality. The dancefloor will be covered in reinforcement and cancellation nodes. I would guess that unless you are very lucky with where you stand, it will sound ghastly.

Come to think of it, just like most clubs I have been to....

TRENDING THREADS