Fanciful design choices...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
chebby said:
insider9 said:
What was so different about LP12?

A teetering column of bs about 45 years high and dwarfed only by the ego of the man who ended up inheriting it.
Chebby was rather more, erm, direct than I might have been. However, it's a history worth reading about one day, and I think it starts with nicking somebody else's design...

Glad you are now grounded, as it were!

insider9

nopiano said:
chebby said:
insider9 said:

A teetering column of bs about 45 years high and dwarfed only by the ego of the man who ended up inheriting it.
Chebby was rather more, erm, direct than I might have been.  However, it's a history worth reading about one day, and I think it starts with nicking somebody else's design...

Haha!

According to my wife I've been grounded for the last 18 years. She didn't see an issue.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Replied to my enquiry within one working day also naming grounding as a possible cause for issues. Great stuff!

Their customer service is very good. Naim can also service almost everything they've ever made.

But then you read stuff on their site like "every Naim Audio interconnect is shaken 180 times by a custom-designed pneumatic production device affectionately named ‘The SNAIC Shaker’ by our technicians. Why do we do this? Because it improves sound quality". Snaic oil shaker, rather. Gotta keep the cult going, I suppose.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This has been Naim's stock reply to any question of the 'why do you do it that way?' type for about 30 years.

The earthing issue discussed on another recent thread is one such issue, there are plenty more.

One that comes to mind concerned the Armageddon power supply for the LP12. Housed in a HiCap sized case the single knob switched the power to the motor on and off, but the Naim logo did not illuminate when on (as it does on all other Naim components of the time).

When asked why there was no illumination to indicate that the unit was on, the answer was, as usual, 'because it sounds better'.

In fact, the real reason was that the Armaggedon was simply a transformer in a box, AC in, AC out, nothing else. There was no rectified power to provide a few DC volts to power the NADI board, an array of Leds tha illuminated the Logo when powered.

Hence no illumination.

rainsoothe

insider9 said:
nopiano said:
chebby said:
insider9 said:

Chebby was rather more, erm, direct than I might have been. However, it's a history worth reading about one day, and I think it starts with nicking somebody else's design...

Haha!

According to my wife I've been grounded for the last 18 years. She didn't see an issue.

Buehehe

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Glad your hissing issue got resolved. Can you please post your thoughts on the Naim once you've done enough listening. Especially with that Yamaha wxc-50 in the loop too, I'd be very interested :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts