Facebook & Spotify team up! Rubbish

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
|(

I really couldn't be more disappointed with these latest developments. Spotify .... selling out? I have been a premium member of Spotify since it's inception and thoroughly love the service to bits. I have voted for it in the What HIFi awards., can I take it back? Let me explain, I detest everything about Facebook and its dubious morals. I hate having it's logo on my Spotify user interface. Now they are asking me to share with Facebook when I log in. New users have to set up a Facebook account to use Spotify. I can see myself canceling over this! I know some people won't care but for me it could be a deal breaker. Opinions!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I think it's great i used spotify for the first time ever yesterday, listened to a bit of Guru Josh :rockout: . So it's a thumbs up from me. :cheer:

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
The Limey said:
|(

I really couldn't be more disappointed with these latest developments. Spotify .... selling out? I have been a premium member of Spotify since it's inception and thoroughly love the service to bits. I have voted for it in the What HIFi awards., can I take it back? Let me explain, I detest everything about Facebook and its dubious morals. I hate having it's logo on my Spotify user interface. Now they are asking me to share with Facebook when I log in. New users have to set up a Facebook account to use Spotify. I can see myself canceling over this! I know some people won't care but for me it could be a deal breaker. Opinions!

I can see where you're coming from, I tolerate Facheache at best, although it has it's uses. However this is simply an option, no doubt one that a lot of people will like/find useful. If it's not for you then ignore it - seriously it need not trouble you unless you make it!

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner said:
The Limey said:
|(

I can see where you're coming from, I tolerate Facheache at best, although it has it's uses. However this is simply an option, no doubt one that a lot of people will like/find useful. If it's not for you then ignore it - seriously it need not trouble you unless you make it!

Hi Dan, thanks for your comments. I know that as an old premium user I can choose wether to integrate Facebook. What I really object to,is giving my money to a company that is in bed with Facebook, and having the logo shoved in my face every time I change tunes. Let's face it, 9.99 a month is not peanuts.

I run iTunes lossless files on my Netbook as well, and to be honest I am already considering reverting to that system with
Remote App. I fancy a bit of CD shopping. It's sad really because I was so uber enthusiastic when Spotify came out, and the future looked, well green really. Now it just looks well Blue and White with an unnerving desire to know everything about you.

R.I.P Spotify." Didn't you almost have it all"

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I clicked on 'No Thanks' when it asked me if I wanted to do Facebook-related stuff, and I see no evidence of it at all when I change tracks or anything?

Yes, but then there'd be nothing to get angry about. Where's the fun in that?

A

Anonymous

Opinions?

I think the toys need gathering from around the pram.

Seriously. It isn't a biggee.

Apple suing Samsung and anyone else they can to reduce competion and drive up prices.

Microsoft absorbing smaller companies

Products from British companies being made for 2p a shot in far-eastern sweatshops

The war/s

Famine

Genocide

All worthy of some thought.

Spotify trying to expand by joining forces with a "free" service like Facebook... I'm far more worried about my milk going off.

And what's more, I like it. Now I can see all my FB contacts who use spotify, and share playlists. And it's a choice, not a compulsion.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
Opinions?

Apple suing Samsung and anyone else they can to reduce competion and drive up prices.

Products from British companies being made for 2p a shot in far-eastern sweatshops

The war/s

Famine

Genocide

Spotify trying to expand by joining forces with a "free" service like Facebook... I'm far more worried about my milk going off.

And what's more, I like it. Now I can see all my FB contacts who use spotify, and share playlists. And it's a choice, not a compulsion.

Could not agree more.

Find it quite amusing that it would annoy anyone as Spotify obvioulsy aspires to become to streaming wha FB is to social network sites. Did you expect them to keep their name hush hush and the filthy lucre out of it? Do you know they've had ads on there since ages ago?

I still don't pay for it, mind, and probably never will.

A

Anonymous

snivilisationism said:
Opinions?

The war/s

Famine

Genocide

Was it difficult to write this without being rude? No. but you still managed it didn't you.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Good on Spotify for trying to expand their customer base and actually make some money. Premium will still be worth paying for for the Sonos and iPhone access, so I don't mind.

Like it or not, the world is going social. If you don't want to link up to Facebook, then don't. My friends currently post YouTube clips of music, which isn't a great deal of use to me, I'd rather they put up a Spotify link.

A

Anonymous

I tried my best not to be rude, but maybe it was a touch sarcastic. All it means is one extra (2 minute step) if you don't already have a Facebook account.

And for the conspiracy theorists or Facebook paranoid in the world, just be glad it's Facebook and not Google+ (ie you can use any old name and email you like, sign up and never log on other than to Spotify)...simple. Maybe there will be a hundreds of facebook pages with John Smith or Jane Brown filling up with links to smooth jazz and organ music, but then who cares? It's their bandwidth and diskspace that's being used.

As a very wise person once said "Life's too short".

A

Anonymous

Actually I think you all are right, it is a pointless topic and a pointless thread that I wish I hadn't started.

Request to lock thread due to its totally dull content that I am guilty of. I am off to evaluate and socialize. :cheers:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If it's a principles thing, then the only thing you can do is either accept that companies do need to make money to survive and that's all this is really about, or you can cancel. Unfortunately for yourself, I feel that it's likely the partnership will bring in more subscribers than it loses through those who cancel as a result of it.

On the other hand, I also don't really understand all this privacy hoo ha around Facebook - no one forces people to put up their personal information and life history, even if they have an account (look at my Mum's - essentially you can tell her name from it, that's about it). However, some people do seem to want to share all this information with the world - if that's the case, then who am I to say they shouldn't?

EDIT - written prior to your withdrawal!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
(look at my Mum's - essentially you can tell her name from it, that's about it).

I can't even find "Mrs Professorhat", that's how private it is!

I don't understand this status thing going around FB where people ask their friends to unsubscribe to "Comments and Likes" because they think they'll be made public. If you don't want anyone to know you like Tesco then don't click "Like" but more to the point, if all of your friends unsubscribe from your comments and likes then NOBODY will see anything you comment on or like, so what would then be the point of you commenting on or liking anything at all? "GAH! I'm on this public website and now everyone can see what I'm saying!"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts