Extrem impact on treble sound due to room acoustics

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. Actually after months of experimenting and being successful with positioning I can definitely say that the area of around 0.5m around each speaker is critical as to its sound. Regardless whether floor or bookshelf. The size of bookshelves in a larger room with expose treble that will be reverberant - the point is not to damp so much windows and harder parts of the room but to damp this close area around each speaker. That poses a difficulty because what to place next to a speaker and maintain the good design ? Try with standing rolled foam or bass trap behind each speaker first. That will soften treble. Make sure the panels or hard floor is damped near as well. The treble sensitivity as to the room acoustics is enourmous. Positionig of the speakers will not help much if they ( or the close area ) will be not damped. I know that I nothing new discovered - but just wanted to add that acoustics is extremely important to the point of making the same speakers not bearable or simply wonderful. Especially near field monitor speakers.

P.S. ( sorry this post should be in HI FI section )

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If your speaker sounds bad off-axis, obviously you want all reflections out of the picture. But if its good off-axis (no nasty peaks or dips) then a lively room can be pleasent to listen to, a bit of reverby, lively experience.

To make things extra complicated, bass room modes also affect how midrange and treble is percieved.

Interesting video on psychoacoustics.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If your speaker sounds bad off-axis, obviously you want all reflections out of the picture. But if its good off-axis (no nasty peaks or dips) then a lively room can be pleasent to listen to, a bit of reverby, lively experience.

To make things extra complicated, bass room modes also affect how midrange and treble is percieved.

Interesting video on psychoacoustics.

Thanks Vlad. Exactly, the differences are enourmous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts