Extra watts, how important?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi again everybody. I love my new (2nd hand) B&W XT4`s. I have the Denon DRA-700AE (80 watts RMS per channel) which to me sounds great. However, I`ve heard a more powerful amplifier would improve things. I don`t understand the technical stuff too much but have done my research. For sale is a Roksan Kandy K2 BT for 550 euros (like new I believe). At 140 watts RMS per channel would I really notice a difference? I have the possibility to listen loud which I do like sometimes, and I`ve read in the what hi fi review that the B&W`s love high volumes! Mostly classical but also lots of rock and jazz. Also at 400 euros is a Roksan Kandy K2...so no blue tooth and 20 watts less per channel. And finally do those extra watts (120 on the K2 to 140 on the K2 BT) make a real difference? PS I saw somewhere that you VLADIMIR own the K2 BT and you have helped me before. Many thanks

gisgillen said:
Hi again everybody. I love my new (2nd hand) B&W XT4`s. I have the Denon DRA-700AE (80 watts RMS per channel) which to me sounds great. However, I`ve heard a more powerful amplifier would improve things. I don`t understand the technical stuff too much but have done my research. For sale is a Roksan Kandy K2 BT for 550 euros (like new I believe). At 140 watts RMS per channel would I really notice a difference? I have the possibility to listen loud which I do like sometimes, and I`ve read in the what hi fi review that the B&W`s love high volumes! Mostly classical but also lots of rock and jazz. Also at 400 euros is a Roksan Kandy K2...so no blue tooth and 20 watts less per channel. And finally do those extra watts (120 on the K2 to 140 on the K2 BT) make a real difference? PS I saw somewhere that you VLADIMIR own the K2 BT and you have helped me before. Many thanks

I very much doubt you'll notice the 20 watts difference. If you don't need the BT side then don't spend money on it would be my suggestion.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Both the K2 and K2BT are essentially a 125Wpc in 8ohms amp. They managed to declare more power in the BT version but they are pushing the limits in the math. I wouldn't worry about it and snag a K2 in good condition.

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Al ears and Vladimir. You think Al ears that the 20 watts difference between the K2 and the K2BT would not be noticeable. How about between my Denon (80watts RMS) and the K2 (120)? And would it be a good match for my X4's? Thanks again.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The difference between 80 and 120 watts would be minimal, less than 2dB in spl terms, barely audible.

What really matters is how well the two (different) amplifiers deliver their power in real world situations. If you had access to the 'right' specifications you might be able to get a reasonable idea of which amp is better in this application, but you don't, so you have to listen.

davedotco said:
The difference between 80 and 120 watts would be minimal, less than 2dB in spl terms, barely audible.

What really matters is how well the two (different) amplifiers deliver their power in real world situations. If you had access to the 'right' specifications you might be able to get a reasonable idea of which amp is better in this application, but you don't, so you have to listen.

Quite agree. I have heard the K2 but not the Denon so couldn't really say. As Davedotco says it's how those watts are delivered and the nature of the amplifier itself. Both should drive speakers OK but as usual I would advise an audition.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In the new HifiNews&RR there is a review of MF's M5si, rated at 150w/ch 8ohm.

Michaelson of MF was asked about why the included DAC only samples up to 24bit/96khz. His answer was that to resolve the full dynamic range of high/est resolution files you'd need amplifiers of 500 watts or more. It simply wasn't possible with the M5.

MF have always been stalwarts of high power amplifiers and he (Michaelson) was once quoted that any decent amplifier should have multi hundred watt output.

Worth saying the company also made the behemot Class A monsters until recently which only had double digit wattage.

Some very powerful amplifiers only seem to come in to their stride at high volumes, sounding stilted and mechanical/boring at low wattages. - If you are in a lucky position to drive these things to their potential and have the living room space (and no neighbours), why not.

On the other hand, there are enough low powered amps around, including valve types, which, if partnered with the right speakers can sound sublime (and plenty loud enough).

As to the OP, I would not expect much difference in loudness between the two amplifiers though 'presentation', distortion characteristics and load driving ability may differ slightly so they may well sound different at given volume levels.

Not all amplifiers sound the same.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Drummerman, did you read my post ref the MF3si?

Its allegedly only 85watts but honestly I don't know if it's poorly attenuated or what but it 'sounds' powerful.....it sounds huge.

It's not like the Roksans or the Hegels -it sounds like a big wattage power amp - made the Arcam fmj29 and Audiolab 8300 sound like .....overpriced.

20watts supported by a quality psu will make a difference - not budget quality mind.....

I'm monitoring it, waiting for the price drop.....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Drummerman, did you read my post ref the MF3si?

Its allegedly only 85watts but honestly I don't know if it's poorly attenuated or what but it 'sounds' powerful.....it sounds huge.

It's not like the Roksans or the Hegels -it sounds like a big wattage power amp - made the Arcam fmj29 and Audiolab 8300 sound like .....overpriced.

20watts supported by a quality psu will make a difference - not budget quality mind.....

I'm monitoring it, waiting for the price drop.....

I did and interesting it was.

MF have beefed up the power supply of the latest amplifiers. It will no doubt help with certain speakers.

TRENDING THREADS