Extending Hi-Fi to adjacent room

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I currently have my Hi-Fi setup in my dining room/office. It would also be nice to listen in my lounge (4.5m x 4.5m) which is the next room so looking for ideas/thoughts on the best way to do it. I don't want to get a full setup so thinking about just running another set of speakers (wired or wireless).

I currently have the following:

Abrahamsen v2.0UP amp, Abrahamsen DAC II, Google Chromecast Audio, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Mission 753 Freedom speakers with upgraded drivers.

Everything I listen to is via Spotify (although I may change to Tidal, will try it in the next couple of weeks) so it doesn't matter that the amp is in a different room.

Appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Railton.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Use the 'Out' sockets on your amp via a long pair of phono cables to a pair of Audio Engine A5+ powered speakers.

They are big enough sounding to do well in a fair size room and are remote control, about £300-350 pr if you shop around. There are other options from the likes of Ruark, Monitor Audio and others but they are predominately desktop systems.

The A5+ is big enough and good enough to be placed and supported properly and will sound like a proper stereo rather than just a pair of 'extension' speakers.

If you are looking to play in the other room only and not in both at the same time you could stick with a passive pair of speakers and simply run long speaker cables into place and just swap plugs at back of amp to suit whichever room you want to listen in.

Or you could go, as suggested with long phono cables although this may turn out to be a more expensive route.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I want to make the most of my amp so I'm leaning towards another set of passive speakers and a switch.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
rmatthew said:
Thanks for the replies. I want to make the most of my amp so I'm leaning towards another set of passive speakers and a switch.

It is fair enough to want to make the most of existing gear.

If you change your mind and dont want to run wires and fit switches etc, the previous recommendation of active speakers was good, except you would not need any cables if you got a second CCA. The best active speakers your budget allows and a CCA would probably not disappoint

I might even look into a one box solution like the Naim Mu-so or similar for convenience

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts